ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Po ... 082012.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postal worker who suffered crippling leg injuries when his stationary van was hit by another vehicle has received £550,000 compensation.
Andrew Hutcheson, from Eynesbury, St Neots, spent three months in hospital after breaking both legs in multiple places in the accident last November.
The 59-year-old was sorting out parcels at the back of his Parcel Force van when it was hit by another vehicle, which crushed his legs.
After receiving £550,000 from a personal injury claim, Andrew and disabled wife Rose, 67, will now use the award to pay for their move from a second floor flat with no lift, to a nearby specially adapted home.
Recalling the accident, Andrew said: “All I remember is a thump, and the next thing I knew I was on the side of the road being attended to.
“I was rushed to hospital, where they saved my life, and then rushed to another hospital where they did their best to put my legs back together.
“I had to stay in hospital from the end of November to the end of February.
“I can now walk a few steps using a walking frame and can drive using hand controls, but it will be another year before the doctors know how much movement I’ll get back.
“Whatever happens, I’ll have a permanent disability.”
Andrew is an avid collector of TVR sports cars and has eight of them. He hopes to recover sufficient use of his legs to drive again.
He and Rose plan to move to their new home early next year which is less than half a mile away from their current flat.
Sarah-Jayne Bell, a specialist personal injury lawyer at Simpson Millar, represented Andrew during his claim.
She said: “Andrew wanted to settle the claim urgently and purchase a new house, without having to live in temporary accommodation.
“He also wanted to avoid lots of medical evaluations and we were able to deliver a settlement that met all his requirements within seven months of the accident.”
A postal worker who suffered crippling leg injuries when his stationary van was hit by another vehicle has received £550,000 compensation.
Andrew Hutcheson, from Eynesbury, St Neots, spent three months in hospital after breaking both legs in multiple places in the accident last November.
The 59-year-old was sorting out parcels at the back of his Parcel Force van when it was hit by another vehicle, which crushed his legs.
After receiving £550,000 from a personal injury claim, Andrew and disabled wife Rose, 67, will now use the award to pay for their move from a second floor flat with no lift, to a nearby specially adapted home.
Recalling the accident, Andrew said: “All I remember is a thump, and the next thing I knew I was on the side of the road being attended to.
“I was rushed to hospital, where they saved my life, and then rushed to another hospital where they did their best to put my legs back together.
“I had to stay in hospital from the end of November to the end of February.
“I can now walk a few steps using a walking frame and can drive using hand controls, but it will be another year before the doctors know how much movement I’ll get back.
“Whatever happens, I’ll have a permanent disability.”
Andrew is an avid collector of TVR sports cars and has eight of them. He hopes to recover sufficient use of his legs to drive again.
He and Rose plan to move to their new home early next year which is less than half a mile away from their current flat.
Sarah-Jayne Bell, a specialist personal injury lawyer at Simpson Millar, represented Andrew during his claim.
She said: “Andrew wanted to settle the claim urgently and purchase a new house, without having to live in temporary accommodation.
“He also wanted to avoid lots of medical evaluations and we were able to deliver a settlement that met all his requirements within seven months of the accident.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
briantwigley
- Posts: 135
- Joined: 27 Mar 2012, 18:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
So basically he has plenty of cash for fancy cars, and still gets a disgusting amount of money for what was an accident.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
briantwigley wrote:So basically he has plenty of cash for fancy cars, and still gets a disgusting amount of money for what was an accident.

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
Quite frankly I'm at a loss for words over briantwigley has said...........disabled for life, needs 24hour care and he thinks it's for fast cars and high living 
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
Well them Motability Scooters are pretty quick,especially if you get the shopping basket taken off.DGP1 wrote:Quite frankly I'm at a loss for words over briantwigley has said...........disabled for life, needs 24hour care and he thinks it's for fast cars and high living
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
blue1873
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 8884
- Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
- Gender: Male
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
So BRAINtwigley would you now swop places with Mr Hutchesonbriantwigley wrote:So basically he has plenty of cash for fancy cars, and still gets a disgusting amount of money for what was an accident.
-
oldrangersW12
- Posts: 53
- Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 15:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
briantwigley wrote:So basically he has plenty of cash for fancy cars, and still gets a disgusting amount of money for what was an accident.
Post Removed by Teebs
Rules: Please remember everyone is welcome on this site. Customers, CWU Officers, Royal Mail Managers, all Royal Mail employees, the General Public, the press,and even MPs, so please do not resort to abuse if people of a different political persuasion or viewpoint to you, post on a thread.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
100%
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 07 Jun 2010, 20:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
Sad story a fellow postal worker.
I send my very best wishes to Mr Hutcheson.
How dare Brian Twigley put his selfish thoughts on this site.. He should be Banned.
So BRAINtwigley would you now swop places with Mr Hutcheson I think not.
I send my very best wishes to Mr Hutcheson.
How dare Brian Twigley put his selfish thoughts on this site.. He should be Banned.
So BRAINtwigley would you now swop places with Mr Hutcheson I think not.
-
postypie
- Posts: 435
- Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
briantwigley wrote:So basically he has plenty of cash for fancy cars, and still gets a disgusting amount of money for what was an accident.
What an idiotic and crass statement to make.....you sir,epitomize everything that is wrong with RM.
-
bunkerland
- Posts: 546
- Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
I find that a very upsetting picture to look at,how devastating to receive such injuries through no fault of his own,hopefully in time he can eventually get back to some sort of a normal life.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
His ability to buy and drive whatever make of car in the past is of no consequence.briantwigley wrote:So basically he has plenty of cash for fancy cars, and still gets a disgusting amount of money for what was an accident.
I've no doubt, given the choice, whether he would now rather have £550,000 or the proper use of his legs.
You imply that he's little different from all those crooks that have a bit of a bump in their car and then fraudulently claim hundreds or thousands of pounds for a non-existant whiplash injury, but the photograph graphically proves otherwise.
-
brothermagrew
- Posts: 3015
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 16:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Shares a border with England to the south.
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
No basically if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident at work, which was not your fault and you suffer from a workplace injury, you may be able to make a personal injury claim for compensation. As with all accident compensation claims, you would need to prove that your injury, illness or disease was caused as a result of the negligence of another party. Once you appoint a personal injury solicitor, they will assist you in compiling your evidence and presenting it to the third party insurers.briantwigley wrote:So basically he has plenty of cash for fancy cars, and still gets a disgusting amount of money for what was an accident.
Every personal injury compensation claim is very different and while some are settled within a matter of months, others can take years. Most claims for workplace accidents and workplace injuries are settled out of Court; however, some will need to progress this far.
What on earth possessed you to post such a stupid spiteful and crass comment.
"Today’s workplace has become heartless and soulless. Employees are seen as units of labour, automatons, functionaries, objects for achieving designated tasks, and as costs to be minimised."
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Postal worker wins £550k in injury claim
An idiot methinks.brothermagrew wrote:No basically if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident at work, which was not your fault and you suffer from a workplace injury, you may be able to make a personal injury claim for compensation. As with all accident compensation claims, you would need to prove that your injury, illness or disease was caused as a result of the negligence of another party. Once you appoint a personal injury solicitor, they will assist you in compiling your evidence and presenting it to the third party insurers.briantwigley wrote:So basically he has plenty of cash for fancy cars, and still gets a disgusting amount of money for what was an accident.
Every personal injury compensation claim is very different and while some are settled within a matter of months, others can take years. Most claims for workplace accidents and workplace injuries are settled out of Court; however, some will need to progress this far.
What on earth possessed you to post such a stupid spiteful and crass comment.
A while back 'briantwigley' wrote:
"Hey all.
To cut a long story short I let off a half empty fire extinguisher at my old place of work and they have found out and though not yet I believe the police will be round.
Apparently it can lead to up to a 5k fine, if I get fined (which I hope I don't) could it lead to me being sacked? I'm in my trial period still.
It is the first time I've been in trouble, I'm really worried and upset about it.
Thanks a lot."
-
stokes11eg
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3077
- Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
- Gender: Female