ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Going postal: Royal Mail, Parcelforce and customs charging

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Going postal: Royal Mail, Parcelforce and customs charging

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.concretebadger.net/2012/08/1 ... -charging/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many of us shop online, and quite often the stuff comes from abroad and incurs certain customs charges. I don’t mean things like alcohol and tobacco: I mean ordinary consumer goods like DVDs, music CDs and electronics.

This article isn’t about HMRC and Customs either, or avoiding paying what you legally should pay; their website isn’t the most user-friendly around, but it gives a detailed run-down of what customs duty and import VAT are, and how much you should expect to pay for what. This is about the UK postal service’s part in this…and what we can – and can’t – do about their policy on delivering parcels sent from abroad.


Customs charges and postage

Import VAT is levied on most imported goods from outside the EU, and is usually charged at the standard 20% rate. When calculating how much import VAT you need to pay, bear in mind that HMRC charge a percentage of the item(s) AND the postage cost. When ordering stuff from abroad, you need to take into account both the cost of your items AND the shipping!

When you order from abroad, the sender attaches a customs note that indicates the contents of the package and their value. It is then processed by HMRC, the relevant charges levied, and is then passed on to a UK courier for delivery to the recipient’s address. This is where it gets problematic.
The Post Office and Parcelforce: delivery from abroad

Since a lot of overseas couriers, such as USPS, don’t have UK branches the final leg of your parcel’s journey is carried out by Royal Mail. The Royal Mail Group is divided into two delivery organisations: the Post Office and Parcelforce. I’m not sure if the overseas courier has any bearing on which one does the delivery: CDJapan parcels (from Japan, obviously) are delivered by the PO and USPS parcels from the USA are delivered by PF, in my experience anyway.

As I understand it, this means that RMG are the sole delivery organisation for all parcels that come into the UK via UK Border Control. You’ll see why this is significant later.


RMG and Customs charging

When collecting overseas parcels from HMRC and delivering them to their UK addressees, RMG act as a customs broker. This means that they pay the necessary charges on the addressee’s behalf but RMG charge their own additional fees for doing this. The PO website states:

“Letters or parcels from abroad sometimes have a Customs charge – for example VAT, or fees for tobacco or alcohol. Occasionally there’s an £8 handling charge.”

Parcelforce on the other hand have a more complex pricing system:

We have two levels of clearance fee for import parcels. There is a charge of £13.50 for express parcels imported through the EMS (i.e. International Datapost equivalent) and GLS (i.e. Euro 48 equivalent) networks and also for high value standard parcels (valued at over €1000). For all other import parcels, an £8 charge will apply.

The handling/clearance fee

An invoice with information on how to pay is sent ahead to the addressee and until you pay this fee, the PO or Parcelforce will not release the parcel and deliver it to you.

What if you don’t want to pay for this service? What if you would rather deal with HMRC yourself? In practice, there is no ‘opt out’; it’s a service that you receive, whether you want it or not. The handling/clearance fee is the result…and if the parcel’s contents are only a little more than the £15 threshold, it’s perfectly possible for the sum of the charges to be more than the value of the items themselves!

I’ve read of people contesting these charges for a service they neither asked for nor wanted in the first place, and in some cases resorting to disputing it in the Small Claims court. In the meantime, their parcel was delivered and they were invoiced. A common argument was the 2000 Postal Services Act, which outlines regulations concerning deliberate delays and interference; the reasoning being, the PO and Parcelforce have no legal right to hold parcels. As of October 2011 however, changes were made to the wording of the Act which means the PO and Parcelforce can in fact hold packages until the addressee pays the necessary charges.

I don’t know who changed the Act or why, but the end result is that RMG now have greater powers to seize and hold onto packages pending customs charges. They can effectively hold your property to ransom, and the law allows them to do so!
What are the fees, anyway?

Under the Freedom of Information Act, we can ask the RMG about their charges: What Do They Know? is your friend here. In certain cases the PO justifies their £8 handling fee by claiming it covers administration, staff training and other factors involved in processing the charges. £8 for filling in a form and paying HMRC on your behalf? Make of that what you will! Parcelforce on the other hand have responded by refusing to say why their charges are higher, or how those charges are spent; claiming that divulging such information would put them at a disadvantage alongside their competitors.

Remember that RMG are the sole delivery organisation for these parcels? There are two companies involved here: PF and the PO…two subsiduaries of the same organisation! Who, then, are they competing with in order to make them so reticent about their clearance fee pricing? I wonder what the Competition Commission would have to say about that…


Avoiding the fees

Customs and import VAT are of course a legal requirement for certain items but a customs broker is not. Although RMG have the law on their side when enforcing the collection of their customs charges, they do not in fact have a legal right to seize and process your parcel in the first place. There are two perfectly legal ways to avoid their intervention:

Declaring the parcel yourself
Paying the VAT at point of sale

There’s no reason why the addressee cannot pay the necessary Customs charges to HMRC directly. After all, you are expected to declare certain items to them when you enter the UK, such as returning from holiday, so there’s no reason why you can’t do the same for goods mailed from abroad. If the sender marks the customs note “goods to be cleared by importer” HMRC will contact you and ask for you to pay the VAT before they release it for delivery. In theory.

This little-known clause is perfectly legal, and after complaining to Parcelforce I was told that this would avoid their intervention and the associated fees. When ordering some guitar parts from the US I explained the situation to the sender, who kindly indicated “goods to be cleared by importer” in clear block capitals on the customs note. Soon afterwards I received an invoice from Parcelforce, demanding I pay the VAT plus a £13.50 clearance fee before it could leave their depot! Long story short, I was either lied to or PF are lousy at reading customs notes.

What about paying VAT at the point of sale? Again, this is perfectly legal. The seller includes the VAT on the price as a UK seller would do, and the parcel is marked with a reference number, along with an indication that the VAT has already been paid. Because the VAT is already paid HMRC have no need to process it upon its arrival to the UK and RMG have no need to clear it for you and charge you.

This method is straightforward and allows overseas sellers to list exactly how much your purchase will be. It does however require the seller to register for VAT with HMRC because you’re paying the VAT through them when you purchase something (hence the term “VAT at point of sale.”). If they do not deal with a lot of UK customers this form-filling and extra book-keeping probably isn’t worth their while, and of course foreign businesses may not be familiar with UK tax law anyway.


Conclusions

When importing into the UK from abroad, you have three options. You can declare it yourself and pay the VAT, customs and other duties directly to the HMRC…except, speaking from personal experience here, this doesn’t necessarily work.

The second option requires the person you’re buying the items from to register for VAT and add it to the cost of the item and its shipping at the point of sale. Some businesses do offer this, but understandably many do not.

Thirdly, you get your parcel cleared through customs by RMG and incur whatever charges they see fit. In real life terms there’s no practical way to stop them doing this, and once they have your parcel the law states that they can take their pound of flesh. In the unlikely event of anyone at RMG reading this and thinking of suing me, I should add that THEY ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL. Legal? Yes. Fair? Most certainly not.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Re: Going postal: Royal Mail, Parcelforce and customs chargi

Post by pinstripe »

"The Royal Mail Group is divided into two delivery organisations: the Post Office and Parcelforce."

I never knew that the Post Office was a delivery organisation. I thought they were a national commercial outlet offering among other things, access to the Royal Mail delivery network. Silly me.


To answer his charges, stop trying to rip off the Revenue and Customs by importing your tat from abroad then. Or stop whinging when you get caught.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Going postal: Royal Mail, Parcelforce and customs chargi

Post by Lounge Lizard »

pinstripe wrote:"The Royal Mail Group is divided into two delivery organisations: the Post Office and Parcelforce."

I never knew that the Post Office was a delivery organisation. I thought they were a national commercial outlet offering among other things, access to the Royal Mail delivery network. Silly me.


To answer his charges, stop trying to rip off the Revenue and Customs by importing your tat from abroad then. Or stop whinging when you get caught.
Absolutely, and when you eventually get to the final paragraph there's "Thirdly, you get your parcel cleared through customs by RMG and incur whatever charges they see fit. In real life terms there’s no practical way to stop them doing this, and once they have your parcel the law states that they can take their pound of flesh" which admits that his miserly schemes to avoid paying what's due don't work. :crazy: Surprised he's not suggested that sometime in the future some DSA company will import guitar strings for him at a customs clearance charge of less than £8. :Very Happy
britwrit
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 967
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 15:12

Re: Going postal: Royal Mail, Parcelforce and customs chargi

Post by britwrit »

Aren't those "You-owe-vat-and-£8" packets delivered as specials? I work in a mail centre but I get a headache just imagining some of the doorstep arguments involved.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Going postal: Royal Mail, Parcelforce and customs chargi

Post by Lounge Lizard »

britwrit wrote:Aren't those "You-owe-vat-and-£8" packets delivered as specials? I work in a mail centre but I get a headache just imagining some of the doorstep arguments involved.
No, the packet remains at the Delivery Office and an unfortunately-we-couldn't-deliver-your-item-because-there's-a-fee-to-pay card is delivered, so it's whoever's working in the Callers Office that gets any flak, but they're used to it and probably just think it's better than being out in all weathers. :Very Happy
garan_no_dou
Posts: 1
Joined: 20 Aug 2012, 21:09
Gender: Male

Re: Going postal: Royal Mail, Parcelforce and customs chargi

Post by garan_no_dou »

I didn't know about this place before seeing a referral link attached to the article, but there seem to be a few misunderstandings. I'll try to clarify my points as politely as I can.

"I never knew that the Post Office was a delivery organisation. I thought they were a national commercial outlet offering among other things, access to the Royal Mail delivery network. Silly me."

Point taken. Yes, I know that mail delivery is one of many services the PO offers, but didn't feel the need to mention those other services since things like travel money, credit cards, insurance and so forth are not directly connected to the issue of delivering parcels from abroad.

"...stop trying to rip off the Revenue and Customs by importing your tat from abroad then. Or stop whinging when you get caught."

I'm not trying to do anything of the sort. Declaring items yourself is a perfectly legitimate method of paying VAT that Parcelforce themselves mentioned when I e-mailed them, and HMRC give a detailed outline of the 'VAT at point of purchase' scheme. I do not intend, nor attempt, to avoid paying import VAT and I don't suggest anyone else should either. Besides, I don't have any objection to paying import VAT; it's the clearance fee/handling charge - a procedure that I'd rather do myself than pay for someone to do on my behalf - that I have an issue with.

As for 'tat'...well, some things are simply not available to buy in the UK at all, so consumers have to import them. In my case they were branded, specialist parts - NOT strings, which are widely available in this country! - that were manufactured in the US and, for whatever reason, are not available from UK suppliers.

"...miserly schemes to avoid paying what's due..."

Incorrect. As I pointed out here (and in the original article): declaring items yourself is a perfectly legitimate way of paying VAT when payment at point of sale is not an option that's offered. For some reason, the indication on the customs note that it should be handled in this way was ignored, and I was forced to pay the charge for a service that 1. isn't necessary and 2. I specifically requested to NOT have.

"I work in a mail centre but I get a headache just imagining some of the doorstep arguments involved."
"...it's whoever's working in the Callers Office that gets any flak, but they're used to it and probably just think it's better than being out in all weathers."

Perhaps the hostility (I can't think of any other word to describe it I'm afraid) in the replies here stems from the assumption that RM customers don't appreciate the hard work that its employees do. Trust me on this: I've worked in customer service jobs before and my current job involves a lot of similar stuff, so I know how it feels to be faced with rude, angry people while at work. My criticisms are aimed at what I see as an unfair piece of company policy; not the people who have to carry it out. Verbally abusing people for just doing their jobs is NEVER acceptable!

I originally set out to summarise the current system that's in place, highlight what I believe are aspects that are unfair on customers and try to get some constructive discussion going. I hope that clears a few things up.