dvbuk55 wrote:I really don't know what all the fuss is about. The system of leaving with a neighbour was common practice when I delivered and I don't recall a single case of a neighbour denying they'd had it. I would even have a neighbour sign for a Recorded, though not a Special.
What has changed is the sheer volume of packets and rather sadly...the customer.
This is very much the compensation age DV where genuine mistakes are not just brushed off as mistakes...they are an opportunity to seek redress and even make some money...and sometimes rather than wait for a mistake you make your own opportunity.
dvbuk55 wrote:I really don't know what all the fuss is about. The system of leaving with a neighbour was common practice when I delivered and I don't recall a single case of a neighbour denying they'd had it. I would even have a neighbour sign for a Recorded, though not a Special.
What has changed is the sheer volume of packets and rather sadly...the customer.
This is very much the compensation age DV where genuine mistakes are not just brushed off as mistakes...they are an opportunity to seek redress and even make some money...and sometimes rather than wait for a mistake you make your own opportunity.
I wouldn't disagree that the volume has changed but packets for normal postage are not insured and therefore compensation is discretionary, people could actually claim an item wasn't received that wasn't sent in the first place. The postal system is open to abuse and what has increased proportionally to the increase in packets is dishonest punters. You pays your money and you takes your chance. Dishonesty is not something new, when I was delivering to a certain person he would regularly claim misdelivery and would receive a book of stamps - then of course I got a manager on to it who delivered the mail regularly and lo and behold he was back again and was promptly shown the door.