ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Off sick with grief..

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Off sick with grief..

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Perhaps I am wrong but some people seem to have got things mixed up. They are looking at the cause (a death of a pet) and see this as not enough of a reason for him to go sick - they are right in a way.

However, the symptoms which have been perhaps been overlooked, is that the Op is feeling stressed or depressed. These are both Medical conditions and therefore if he is genuinely suffering either condition, or even another condition brought on by them, he is quite within his rights to claim sickness and/or get help for them.

I am very close to my pet, and they are very old, will I take a sickie when they die - I doubt it, but then we are all individuals and we are all affected in different ways. Still if people want to complain about RMs mechanistic approach to "their people", but then be guilty of doing the same thing in this case, I won't be so crass as to point it out. :shhhhh :chuckle :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Off sick with grief..

Post by fishtank »

I think also tbt the guy originally asked if a manager was justified in pressurising him back to work while he was off sick not whether his reason for being off had any merit.
If the position of posters is it's ok for managers to hassle members back to work as long as they decide that the "illness" doesn't warrant time off that's fine but maybe if they could post a list of conditions that do and don't warrant time off it would be helpful to members.

I had one member off with concussion...caused by being bounced out off a club on his head for making an arse of himself.
Where does that one come in...
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Theghost
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 417
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Off sick with grief..

Post by Theghost »

I know how much it hurts losing a dog,I have not owned one for 15 years simply because the pain is too much when they die.

I cried more when i lost my last dog than i did at my Grandads funeral,Sounds bad but thats how they affect you.

Get a sick note for stress,You are stressed because your dog has died,The doctor will grant it,Grief affects people in different ways.

The last thing you want is people in work sniggering behind your back because you have broken down in the office or on delivery.

Really sorry about your loss,But you gave him a good happy life and remember that,Alot of Dogs are not so lucky to have owners like you.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Off sick with grief..

Post by clashcityrocker »

fishtank wrote:
I had one member off with concussion...caused by being bounced out off a club on his head for making an arse of himself.
Where does that one come in...
I think I know him.
Was it the Glasgow Rangers supporters club.....and he had refused to stand for the National Anthem?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Pete c
Posts: 54
Joined: 09 Jun 2007, 17:17
Gender: Male

Re: Off sick with grief..

Post by Pete c »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Perhaps I am wrong but some people seem to have got things mixed up. They are looking at the cause (a death of a pet) and see this as not enough of a reason for him to go sick - they are right in a way.

However, the symptoms which have been perhaps been overlooked, is that the Op is feeling stressed or depressed. These are both Medical conditions and therefore if he is genuinely suffering either condition, or even another condition brought on by them, he is quite within his rights to claim sickness and/or get help for them.

I am very close to my pet, and they are very old, will I take a sickie when they die - I doubt it, but then we are all individuals and we are all affected in different ways. Still if people want to complain about RMs mechanistic approach to "their people", but then be guilty of doing the same thing in this case, I won't be so crass as to point it out. :shhhhh :chuckle :chuckle
Hi mate, i felt both depressed and stressed but slowly feeling better, i have lost two Labs before but while i was upset, the passing off this lab hurt me very much, half of it was shock because i just didn't see it coming. I do think having a few days off and not getting stick from managers for cutting off etc has helped a lot.
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: Off sick with grief..

Post by Budfrog »

Pete c wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Perhaps I am wrong but some people seem to have got things mixed up. They are looking at the cause (a death of a pet) and see this as not enough of a reason for him to go sick - they are right in a way.

However, the symptoms which have been perhaps been overlooked, is that the Op is feeling stressed or depressed. These are both Medical conditions and therefore if he is genuinely suffering either condition, or even another condition brought on by them, he is quite within his rights to claim sickness and/or get help for them.

I am very close to my pet, and they are very old, will I take a sickie when they die - I doubt it, but then we are all individuals and we are all affected in different ways. Still if people want to complain about RMs mechanistic approach to "their people", but then be guilty of doing the same thing in this case, I won't be so crass as to point it out. :shhhhh :chuckle :chuckle
Hi mate, i felt both depressed and stressed but slowly feeling better, i have lost two Labs before but while i was upset, the passing off this lab hurt me very much, half of it was shock because i just didn't see it coming. I do think having a few days off and not getting stick from managers for cutting off etc has helped a lot.
Pleased you are feeling better and taking the time off was clearly needed. It's a strange subject but I think TBT's post made a lot of sense.
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Off sick with grief..

Post by postypie »

Mrmassive wrote:Postiepie shut up.
Some people love their animals like they are relatives, yeah a goldfish would be different if you didn't go to work because it died, but this is somebody who has lost their dog.
All I can suggest mate is ring up and say you are too upset/stress to work and it would be dangerous if you did so your signing yourself off for a few days, they will pay you then :-) I know it's horrible losing pets but try to keep our chin up mate.

Yeah i know people do love their animals/pets..and i know it hurts when they kick the bucket...i have had a dog for 17 years..it passed away a few years ago...yeah i was a bit down for a few days,but found working took my mind off it for a bit...also lost a snake the other year..god bless our Sid...i suppose everyone ain't the same and losing pets will affect people in different ways...now massiveness..perhaps you should shut up. :nana :nana
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Off sick with grief..

Post by krussel »

Bit of a a sad post, esp if you have pets :cry

My dog is getting older now and sleeps a lot more than he once did. I cant say if i would take time off or not till it happens but after reading this lot i think i would keep my feelings to myself and go off sick with a simple case of the squits for a few days. With RM honesty will not always work.

Sorry for you loss mate. :sad:

Give it a little time and go out and buy a pup.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........