ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
NWpostie
Posts: 3622
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by NWpostie »

krussel wrote:Another good bunch are estate agents. :roll:

I had a surcharge once for a unpaid A4 letter and the handling fee was 50p at the time. I was directed to the manager who made a big show in going on and on about the 50p on top of the unpaid postage which he felt was a kings ransom and unjust. :so there

I noticed his brand new Porsche 911 parked outside and sarcastically said “nice car”. He replied “ yes I can afford that by not paying stupid surcharges” I noticed the rolling of eyes from his staff and I thought what a smug knob. :arrrghhh

So I said “ your not going to pay then” , “on your bike” he replied. “ok no problem “ is said and left the shop. When I got back to the office I personally killed off the letter refused and placed it in the RLB drop bag. :Very Happy

Apparently around 4pm a very flustered women came running into the inquiry office asking about the letter as it turned out to be a completion document for a property which they urgently needed. Lucky for them the phg found it in the bag with my refused sticker proudly stuck on it and she gladly paid up.

Did they eat humble pie after that and pay up every time ? :Very Happy
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by krussel »

NWpostie wrote:
krussel wrote:Another good bunch are estate agents. :roll:

I had a surcharge once for a unpaid A4 letter and the handling fee was 50p at the time. I was directed to the manager who made a big show in going on and on about the 50p on top of the unpaid postage which he felt was a kings ransom and unjust. :so there

I noticed his brand new Porsche 911 parked outside and sarcastically said “nice car”. He replied “ yes I can afford that by not paying stupid surcharges” I noticed the rolling of eyes from his staff and I thought what a smug knob. :arrrghhh

So I said “ your not going to pay then” , “on your bike” he replied. “ok no problem “ is said and left the shop. When I got back to the office I personally killed off the letter refused and placed it in the RLB drop bag. :Very Happy

Apparently around 4pm a very flustered women came running into the inquiry office asking about the letter as it turned out to be a completion document for a property which they urgently needed. Lucky for them the phg found it in the bag with my refused sticker proudly stuck on it and she gladly paid up.

Did they eat humble pie after that and pay up every time ? :Very Happy

I used to simply push a P739 through the box with the normal mail on the 1st delivery and someone would come in to collect it. I did chat to one of the agents who worked there as a few years later she had changed firms and sold my flat.

She told me that the manager used to save any waste paper which had only been printed on one side, cut them up and make up memo pads for the staff to use. She said it was really embarrassing when the had to pass them over to a client and were always having to apologise. He was a prize twat. :Applause
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by arnold cheshire »

krussel wrote:Another good bunch are estate agents. :roll:

I had a surcharge once for a unpaid A4 letter and the handling fee was 50p at the time. I was directed to the manager who made a big show in going on and on about the 50p on top of the unpaid postage which he felt was a kings ransom and unjust. :so there

I noticed his brand new Porsche 911 parked outside and sarcastically said “nice car”. He replied “ yes I can afford that by not paying stupid surcharges” I noticed the rolling of eyes from his staff and I thought what a smug knob. :arrrghhh

So I said “ your not going to pay then” , “on your bike” he replied. “ok no problem “ is said and left the shop. When I got back to the office I personally killed off the letter refused and placed it in the RLB drop bag. :Very Happy

Apparently around 4pm a very flustered women came running into the inquiry office asking about the letter as it turned out to be a completion document for a property which they urgently needed. Lucky for them the phg found it in the bag with my refused sticker proudly stuck on it and she gladly paid up.
good on you
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by arnold cheshire »

we have a shopping centre and you just go to the front of the queue your not a customer
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by postypie »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:we have a shopping centre and you just go to the front of the queue your not a customer
Done that several times..only to be told to wait as they were serving customers....so what are we supposed to do?
Wait several minutes before staff are in a position to serve posties..or 739 recorded/registered items..leave mail/packets on the counter(which they don't like usually)?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by arnold cheshire »

postypie wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:we have a shopping centre and you just go to the front of the queue your not a customer
Done that several times..only to be told to wait as they were serving customers....so what are we supposed to do?
Wait several minutes before staff are in a position to serve posties..or 739 recorded/registered items..leave mail/packets on the counter(which they don't like usually)?
walk off AND LEAVE A P739
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by DGP1 »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
postypie wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:we have a shopping centre and you just go to the front of the queue your not a customer
Done that several times..only to be told to wait as they were serving customers....so what are we supposed to do?
Wait several minutes before staff are in a position to serve posties..or 739 recorded/registered items..leave mail/packets on the counter(which they don't like usually)?
walk off AND LEAVE A P739
I prefer to leave the P739 first and then walk off :nervous :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by TheCobra »

DGP1 wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:
postypie wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:we have a shopping centre and you just go to the front of the queue your not a customer
Done that several times..only to be told to wait as they were serving customers....so what are we supposed to do?
Wait several minutes before staff are in a position to serve posties..or 739 recorded/registered items..leave mail/packets on the counter(which they don't like usually)?
walk off AND LEAVE A P739
I prefer to leave the P739 first and then walk off :nervous :chuckle
I suppose you could walk off, write the P739, make a paper aeroplane out of it and 'fly' it towards the staff behind the counter? Just an idea.
Jimmcguinn
Posts: 63
Joined: 03 Apr 2008, 21:22
Gender: Male

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by Jimmcguinn »

DGP1 wrote:You must be new to this job, the more experienced you get the less likely you are to wait, you go in, look for someone to sign, if you see nobody and nobody approaches you then just P739 it and leave with it...........doesn't take doing that too many times and they'll jump the next time you come in (I've done it in banks and POs).
Just out of curiosity,what is the official guidance when it comes to situations like this?
I've lost count of the amount of times I've been made to wait when I'm delivering to businesses(especially banks).I've even resorted to waiting in the queue now. :crazy:
Just wondering whats a "reasonable" amount of time before handing them a p739 and walking out?
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by DGP1 »

Jimmcguinn wrote:
DGP1 wrote:You must be new to this job, the more experienced you get the less likely you are to wait, you go in, look for someone to sign, if you see nobody and nobody approaches you then just P739 it and leave with it...........doesn't take doing that too many times and they'll jump the next time you come in (I've done it in banks and POs).
Just out of curiosity,what is the official guidance when it comes to situations like this?
I've lost count of the amount of times I've been made to wait when I'm delivering to businesses(especially banks).I've even resorted to waiting in the queue now. :crazy:
Just wondering whats a "reasonable" amount of time before handing them a p739 and walking out?
I don't have time to wait...........DOM doesn't want to deliver my cut offs..............I wait for a couple of minutes before heading out the door, if I'm supposed to wait for 5/10/15 minutes to get something signed then I will but there are consequences...............more walking for the DOM :wink:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by postypie »

Sherpas Rule wrote:Another thought as well, how about shops / companies that won't accept the mail at the front desk / counter and ask you to take it upstairs, round the back etc etc? What's the procedure there?
...


good point mate.....WHsmith where i have been working recently always say the items needed to be left up stairs...so i always replied (to various staff members who worked there), you had better hurry up and take them then because my job is to deliver the items as addressed...which i have done..what they do afterwards is of no concern of mine!
NWpostie
Posts: 3622
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by NWpostie »

postypie wrote:
Sherpas Rule wrote:Another thought as well, how about shops / companies that won't accept the mail at the front desk / counter and ask you to take it upstairs, round the back etc etc? What's the procedure there?
...


good point mate.....WHsmith where i have been working recently always say the items needed to be left up stairs...so i always replied (to various staff members who worked there), you had better hurry up and take them then because my job is to deliver the items as addressed...which i have done..what they do afterwards is of no concern of mine!
Especially if you have a cart outside waiting to be nicked if its not watched, a colleague was in that situation at a very snooty upscale shop that likes to think its really really special in a small town, the women on the ground floor wouldn't sign the specials he had for them telling him that he had to go upstairs, pointing put that he got a cart outside, so what not my problem was the response, so he took the mail back, eventually the store asked where their mail was, once they found out what happened, the girl got the hair dryer treatment. :dance
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: To posties who deliver to shopping centres....

Post by Darren Bent »

Is seem too many secretary/receptionist/store assistant need to improve their attitude towards postman. Last week I deliver the post to a farm shop and gave the post to a store assistant and she gave me a disgusted look for daring to interrupt her gossip.