ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
redissue
Posts: 88
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 01:33
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by redissue »

Saw the Physio through ATOS today,there is a problem and he's told me that even with treatment that due to my age and the type of job i do it could happen again even after treatment.The back problem may need stronger drug's to block the pain and surgery may be needed :sad:
The good thing is that as i've been refferred by ATOS to this physio and my DOM can now see that it's a genuine problem,the physio and doctor have both said i'm unfit to do any work at the moment.The treatment will be expensive so it's really up to my DOM now deciding if its a good idea to ok it with the chance i may not respond to the treatment or just ask me to go on IHR.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by DB1100 »

BoltonPostie wrote:They will eventually offer you IHR....you will think great I'm away from the shithole at last!!
You will either have a cunning plan and start a business or get another job or think i'm so ill i will have to stay off work and claim state benefits which I should be entitled to saying I've paid into the system for xx number of years.
You might think that your too ill to work as afterall Atos have advised you to be IHR,but then atossers will send you for a medical and declare you 100% fit to do `some sort of job`they will then stop you from claiming any disability benefits and expect you to go and find a job...you will then visit the helpful Jobcentreplus building after being given the once over from the security guard (this is to makes you feel even more like a piece of s**t)and then have to explain to some condecending arsehole probably 20 years your junior what type of work you have been looking for since your last visit or he might even `try and be helpful`and ask you to bring in your CV and then moan at you as "The FONT is not one I would have chosen" :roll: .
With a bit of luck you might actually find a job to put in that you `might` be able to do...something involving office work says your advisor... forgetting that you have a bad back and been a postman with zero office skills(unless you count flicking rubberbands a skill :hmmmm ) and sitting is a problem...so you then send off your cv or letter and you get offered an interview...you then go to said interview in your best rags and all is going swimmingly well until you either: A.)Mention that you worked for Royal Mail and B.)That you was medically retired.
He shouts next and you go home feeling like your the scum of the earth,you then sit at home and think why the f**k did I give my job up at Royal Fail. Oh and your £20,000 lump sum bribe goes f***ing knowhere as living off £71 a week Jobseekers won't pay off all your bills.

Course if your so ill you can't work at Royal Mail then take the money go with my blessing says the DOM :left: ,just make sure you have something else to fall back on.
Brilliant,that's spot on BoltonPostie.nice one
For we were soldiers once,and young
jagger
Posts: 182
Joined: 23 Sep 2008, 13:24
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by jagger »

redissue wrote:I've been off work for about two weeks with a back injury.At our office we have been doing P&L since last Oct,i'm on a 5hr delivery.
Since i started this way of working i've had continual bad back and it final came to a head when I woke up on my day off hardly being able to move.
Went to the doctors and it seems i have a Sacrolliac Joint Dysfunction that also spreads to my lower back,very painful and although it's treatable it can be a weakness that can happen again .I'm in my mid 40's and obviously with 20 odd years left i am concernd how much longer i can put my body through this type of work.After a few days i was reffered to ATOS,had a phone call with a consultatnt and they have recommended me for physio.Obviously i can't even do light duties as i can't put any weight on my legs for any length of time and lifting just is'nt an option.
To be honest i would take IHR if it was offered,i don't want to risk my back and future health.What are the possible outcomes and have anyone else gone through this?
Seems strange that your back problems started with park and loop. How does using a LWT give you more problems than a heavy bag on your shoulder?
Just had a guy take IHR at our place. Apparently his hips were totally f**cked. Not so bad that he can't go on 20 mile bike rides at the weekend. He wanted out, so fair play to him for getting paid to leave. At the end of the day we all pay for those who take the piss. :confused
redissue
Posts: 88
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 01:33
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by redissue »

Mmm my back problem as my physio has pointed out was a gradual problem that could have happened even after picking up a pencil.I have been in the job for over 20 years and I am not taking the piss as you seem to be saying.I have not looked for Ihr and I am not happy at so called fellow workers implying this. People do get injuries in this type of employment,believe me with the pain I'm having to deal with smart ass comments like the one above I can do without .
millitant
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Jul 2012, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by millitant »

i am impressed the way you have documented this progression from illness to ATOS, to reasonable adjustments, to possible IHR

my knees have gone through the job and RM have been trying to get rid of me for the last 18 months (now in a locker job) on IHR. thats fine for people who want it, i do not

the problem we have is that once royal mail see you as unproductive or a liability, they want you out and give the carrot as a golden hand shake.

my advice would be to take IHR before any more damage is done to your back. i know myself i will never do a delivery again, bit i prefer the wage security each week before it becomes to much that i have to take IHR

for all those people who have never had a back injury take note, the central nervous system is located in your spine, not the brain, the pain receptors are being triggered because the damaged vertebrae is impacting on nerves not associated with the original injury,

comments about people "faking it" are inapropriate.

i am glad it is my knees that have gone, and not my back
jagger
Posts: 182
Joined: 23 Sep 2008, 13:24
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by jagger »

redissue wrote:Mmm my back problem as my physio has pointed out was a gradual problem that could have happened even after picking up a pencil.I have been in the job for over 20 years and I am not taking the piss as you seem to be saying.I have not looked for Ihr and I am not happy at so called fellow workers implying this. People do get injuries in this type of employment,believe me with the pain I'm having to deal with smart ass comments like the one above I can do without .
As you are on park and loop i presume you are using a lwt? You mentioned P & L so i also presumed you thought this might be what caused your back problem. You said that since you "started this way of working" you've had continual back pain.
Are you using a lwt? If not ,why not? I'm not saying you are faking it, as i have been accused,but something does not quite add up with your post. If picking up a pencil could have triggered your back, why blame park and loop? :confused
redissue
Posts: 88
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 01:33
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by redissue »

I used a Lwt from day 1. It's been caused by years of delivering mail,obviously I would have been carrying it over my shoulder before lwt was inteoduced.The distance and volume of mail has doubled since park and loop was introduced.Both my doctor and physio has said that walking and lifting heavy packets would trigger off any hidden underlying problem.
jagger
Posts: 182
Joined: 23 Sep 2008, 13:24
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by jagger »

Ok, sorry to cast aspersions. Hope your back gets better.
redissue
Posts: 88
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 01:33
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by redissue »

jagger wrote:Ok, sorry to cast aspersions. Hope your back gets better.
Thank you,hopefully It will.
Update had my 1st physio today,boy did it hurt! ATOS have arranged two session's but after todays appointment my physio has said i'll need at least 7 sessions to get me on the way to recovery and even then it may not work.
According to the physio i have a slipped disc and my spine has been damaged and needs to be straightened :sad:
They said that the job would have caused my spine curverture,years of carrying bags over my shoulder.
LWT too late for me so people use them! So i've got one more session then they will send a report to ATOS i'd imagine it will be then when my DOM will have to decide wether to keep these sessions going or just to let me go. I've also got a Musculoskeletal assessment booked at the hospital.
Can't see me being a postie for much longer,at least ATOS have tried to help me.
redissue
Posts: 88
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 01:33
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by redissue »

Well saw my doctor today and i've been signed off for another month, I've now got an appointment for an ATOS phone call booked .
They want to discuss what the physio said in the report they sent to ATOS.
As it's been recommended that i have between 6-8 physio sessions to start with and with the possibility of intervention in my spine ,it looks like IHR may be offered.
The doctor has also told me that i will be having an MRI scan at my hospital appointment.
So I may be nearer to seeing how this will end soon,hopefully my health will be sorted out in the not too distant future.
redissue
Posts: 88
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 01:33
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by redissue »

Well another month off,that's 7 months now. I've a MRI scan booked now,which I thought was going to happen the last time I went to hospital.
ATOS have sent my referrals back to the DOM for him to decide what to do next.Possible ATOS based rehab,luckily my doctor has set me up NHS physio.
I've been told it's going to be another few months of Physio and maybe an operation as the last option.Not good news.And believe me the Physio hurts!!
In the months i've been off i've had three conversations with the DOM, I realise that i'm not a top priority in the business but considering I'm possibly facing an end to my employment i'd expect a little more contact. Oh well that seems to be the way of the RM nowadays.
It will be interesting to see if the DOM feels I meet the 9 month criteria for IHR,but as i'm now on half pay I would'nt imagine that would bother them!
I'll update when anything happens.
redissue
Posts: 88
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 01:33
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by redissue »

Well another month another update,i've been invited by my DOM to go to the office next friday to discuss the way forward.
I've been off 8 months now with another month sick note from my Doctor. I've now got more X rays and physio to come.
What's the chance of me being offered IHR now? I'll update soon as i find out but i'd imagine i'm on the way out now.
flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 819
Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by flaminmoses »

Got a problem now myself

Xray showed osteophytes in the lower spine and haven't been able to shake the latest back episode.
Had a really bad episode whilst i was off sacked last year but got better in just under a week.
This latest has already lasted 3 weeks with no sign of improvement.......which is totally different from previous.
Got a bad feeling the ostephytes have formed right near the nerve and cord rather than causing natural imflamation which is causing the problem



All this after my knee problems!!!!!!!
redissue
Posts: 88
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 01:33
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by redissue »

flaminmoses wrote:Got a problem now myself

Xray showed osteophytes in the lower spine and haven't been able to shake the latest back episode.
Had a really bad episode whilst i was off sacked last year but got better in just under a week.
This latest has already lasted 3 weeks with no sign of improvement.......which is totally different from previous.
Got a bad feeling the ostephytes have formed right near the nerve and cord rather than causing natural imflamation which is causing the problem



All this after my knee problems!!!!!!!
Good Luck, hope you get better soon. I'd imagine we are both for the door out !
redissue
Posts: 88
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 01:33
Gender: Male

Re: Back Injury now Atos are Involved

Post by redissue »

Saw my DOM earlier than Friday, being referred back to ATOS with IHR recommended as an option.
After over 9 months off it looks like they have decided to ask me to leave.
The job is just too physical for my condition now and my health comes 1st.