http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news ... ial_route/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postman received an unexpected hero’s welcome, with cheers and applause from crowds waiting for Bradley Wiggins and the Olympic time trial, when he cycled the route before the race started.
Tony Woodward, 48, was unable to drive his van down Strawberry Vale to empty mailboxes, so took his bike instead.
Woodward, who works at Jubilee Mail Centre in Hounslow, said he found a gap in the railings and started to push his bike down the route when the crowd started cheering.
(Video at link) http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/vide ... f=vidshare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He said: “I wasn’t expecting it, it was a bit embarrassing at first but then I got on and started enjoying it, everyone was cheering and smiling and I was high-fiving them.”
He cycled down Strawberry Vale in Twickenham before going to collect his van in Shacklegate Lane.
He said: “It was amazing for me to experience that for just five minutes so I can’t imagine how the professionals feel, but I guess they are going too fast to notice.”
Laughter and cheers could be heard from the crowd as Mr Woodward rode past to the surprise of the crowds, already in good spirits ahead of the race.
Mr Woodward said: “It was such an amazing experience, you wouldn’t know how it feels unless you do it yourself, and the atmosphere was crazy.”
By law, mailboxes must be emptied every day, so Woodward was able to do his job while soaking up the atmosphere.
He said: “When I got back my boss was happy because I’d finished everything and I had a great story to tell him.
“It was fun while it lasted, but I don’t think I’ll be buying Lycra anytime soon!”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman receives hero's welcome on Olympic time trial route
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman receives hero's welcome on Olympic time trial route
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
hantsman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 876
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 09:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman receives hero's welcome on Olympic time trial ro
Probably get conduct coded for using an RM bike 
-
chelseachris
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 14:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman receives hero's welcome on Olympic time trial ro
And no helmethantsman wrote:Probably get conduct coded for using an RM bike
-
ElvisGaddafi
- Posts: 249
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Scotland
Re: Postman receives hero's welcome on Olympic time trial ro
And no sideburnschelseachris wrote:And no helmethantsman wrote:Probably get conduct coded for using an RM bike
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.