ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Will they force me to drive?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jeanie
Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Aug 2010, 19:13
Gender: Male

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by jeanie »

Also its me who has to wash the bloody thing, put fuel in (is it petrol or diesel?????), if mess left inside its down to me, it too much hassel. Im buddying up with a none driver so I have to drive. I could ask to be a none driver but don't want to shoot myself in the foot by ending up on a real crappy unpleasant duty, if that was the case i opt to be a driver.
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Patrick Clifton »

jeanie wrote:Also its me who has to wash the bloody thing, put fuel in (is it petrol or diesel?????), if mess left inside its down to me, it too much hassel. Im buddying up with a none driver so I have to drive. I could ask to be a none driver but don't want to shoot myself in the foot by ending up on a real crappy unpleasant duty, if that was the case i opt to be a driver.
If there are to be others (collection drivers) using the vans after your delivery, then they have to do their share of the upkeep to. If they are leaving the van in a mess or not doing their share of the upkeep then report it.

Dont be so negative about being a driver and having to do a bit of work with the van, it can come in handy to have that bit of work if you return a bit early on a quiet day like a Tuesday and can kill a bit of time giving the van a clean :wink: :wink:
jeanie
Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Aug 2010, 19:13
Gender: Male

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by jeanie »

I know I sound negative, I want to come into work knowing that I can complete my work within my time and comfortabley however I know im going to be running round like a headless chicken and arguing with manager and spoken to like s**t, hense the negativity!!!
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Patrick Clifton »

jeanie wrote:I know I sound negative, I want to come into work knowing that I can complete my work within my time and comfortabley however I know im going to be running round like a headless chicken and arguing with manager and spoken to like s**t, hense the negativity!!!
You're quite right. I was very much in the same boat. It was obvious that the duty I was on there was a problem. But I was lucky that I had a partner that didnt mind working on a bit to complete. Few extra ££ for us both. But there were times where either one or both of us may have had something on and were unable to do the required overtime to complete. And all the days and weeks where we had done extra to complete was quickly forgotten and we got the wrath of the managment.

The above is why you shouldn't be worrying so much about the van & the required checks. You should have specified time within your new duty to perform the required checks. The checks are not that advanced that you need worry about extensive vehicle knowledge. If there is a problem or issue with the van then you report it and you will have fulfilled your role on the matter.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

jeanie wrote:I know I sound negative, I want to come into work knowing that I can complete my work within my time and comfortabley however I know im going to be running round like a headless chicken and arguing with manager and spoken to like s**t, hense the negativity!!!
And, trying to be positive, don't forget you can drive the van to and from work ( having completed the necessary paperwork ) thus saving time and or the expense of running your own car. :Very Happy
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Lincox »

Surely this is about a system doomed to failure. Each day, DO WE HAVE ENOUGH DRIVERS/DO WE HAVE ENOUGH WALKERS
How can you operate such a huge logistical task based on whether you can get the right pairings together. What numpty dreamt up this disaster.
As for whether you can be forced to drive if you hold a driving licence. If there is no agreement in your terms of engagement, then how can they insist that someone places themselves at the additional risk of driving if they are not prepared to do so. Being a driver for your company places additional responsibilities and additional pressures on your driving licence. If they pay for it and you are prepared to accept the risk, so be it. If you are not, then they have no legal right to insist that you drive.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Natasha, Midlands wrote:What happens to post drivers if they lost their licence through Drink Driving or just got banned is that the job gone or would RM drop you down to a non driver postie? I think they would get rid of you..
Tash, The cause of losing a license, whether crininal or medical, is irrelevant. The issue is whether or not you applied for a job 'with occasional driving' as nearly all vacancies have been for a few years now. :shock: