ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by postypie »

Please read what i wrote lads....i deliver all d2d's..what i am saying even though i see more and more of these no junk mail signs outside and inside peoples property all the time telling me or anyone else NOT to deliver JUNK MAIL...today i delivered 400 d2d's on a round i don't do usually (postie was off)..and a few people came out to remonstrate with me about putting ..erm...rubbish through their letterboxes ...so from a legal point of view...despite the fact there are signs everywhere saying NO JUNK..we still MUST deliver d2d's through these peoples letterboxes....
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:
new26 wrote:As a reserve on many different walks, how am I supposed to remember the one house that has opted out on a walk containing 800 addresses?
Flip letter round, write "no d2d" on it?

I consider telling such customers about the opt-out that they can send away....would I be I on dangerous ground doing this? I seem to remember a postie getting suspended for this a few years ago.
As long as they asked, or gave you an indication they did not want D2Ds then your fine, as you are provding them information on a service they requested..

Roger Ames go into trouble because he made or tried to make everyone on his duty aware of the Opt Out by delivering a leaflet IIRC.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

postypie wrote:Please read what i wrote lads....i deliver all d2d's..what i am saying even though i see more and more of these no junk mail signs outside and inside peoples property all the time telling me or anyone else NOT to deliver JUNK MAIL...today i delivered 400 d2d's on a round i don't do usually (postie was off)..and a few people came out to remonstrate with me about putting ..erm...rubbish through their letterboxes ...so from a legal point of view...despite the fact there are signs everywhere saying NO JUNK..we still MUST deliver d2d's through these peoples letterboxes....
Yes
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by Pat Ostman »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Splappy_McSplap wrote:
new26 wrote:As a reserve on many different walks, how am I supposed to remember the one house that has opted out on a walk containing 800 addresses?
Flip letter round, write "no d2d" on it?

I consider telling such customers about the opt-out that they can send away....would I be I on dangerous ground doing this? I seem to remember a postie getting suspended for this a few years ago.
As long as they asked, or gave you an indication they did not want D2Ds then your fine, as you are provding them information on a service they requested..

Roger Ames go into trouble because he made or tried to make everyone on his duty aware of the Opt Out by delivering a leaflet IIRC.
He delivered a letter to every household telling them the ways to do so in his employed hours. Thats the shaky ground.

Edit :- Roger Annies composed and circulated a leaflet about the Royal Mail's opt-out clause for unsolicited mail during his rounds in Barry, south Wales.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5294708.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
Royal_Fail
Posts: 398
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 19:03
Gender: Male

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by Royal_Fail »

No such thing as junk mail its just mail :cuppa
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by Pat Ostman »

Royal_Fail wrote:No such thing as junk mail its just mail :cuppa
And if it did not work the junk mail would stop. It obviously works, like it or not.
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by fishtank »

I can't see much difference between a piece of D2D shite and a piece of shite with somebody's name and address printed on it.
I don't think they really asked for either.
I would guess it's about 60+% shite we deliver now and without it unfortunately...we're screwed. :sad:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by DirtyHarry »

Pat Ostman wrote:
And if it did not work the junk mail would stop. It obviously works, like it or not.
That doesn't sound logical.
Surely, if drowning people in junk mail had the desired effect, then it would have to stop, as it's aims should have been achieved?
I'm of the opinion that this cheap, nasty, thoroughly annoying form of advertising, in fact doesn't work, hence the seemingly never-ending torrents of junk on a weekly basis.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by DirtyHarry »

skull wrote:

It's not up to us posties to decide what is or isn't junk, it's as simple as that.
Huh?
I decided that junk was just that, junk, years ago. I wasn't aware I was not allowed freedom to think for myself, thought that was just DIMs.
spoodoo
Posts: 829
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by spoodoo »

Patrick the guy was only asking a question , no need to be nasty to the man.
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by Pat Ostman »

DirtyHarry wrote:
Pat Ostman wrote:
And if it did not work the junk mail would stop. It obviously works, like it or not.
That doesn't sound logical.
Surely, if drowning people in junk mail had the desired effect, then it would have to stop, as it's aims should have been achieved?
I'm of the opinion that this cheap, nasty, thoroughly annoying form of advertising, in fact doesn't work, hence the seemingly never-ending torrents of junk on a weekly basis.
Stop... was perhaps a little optimistic. It will never stop. But if people did not come into 'farm foods' with their vouchers then Farm Foods would stop the Door2Door's in my opinion. People do grow old, people die, new targets. Sorry but you will never reach everyone and then retire. Someone else will want a go.

Bottom line, people obviously use them, even if only a small minority. As long as that small minority makes it worthwhile they will continue to use our services.
DirtyHarry wrote:
skull wrote:

It's not up to us posties to decide what is or isn't junk, it's as simple as that.
Huh?
I decided that junk was just that, junk, years ago. I wasn't aware I was not allowed freedom to think for myself, thought that was just DIMs.
I think you missed the point. It is not for us to decide for others what constitutes as junk mail. You can think what you like of it is of course. Believe me I am not a fan but I do get the logic that it does keep a lot of us employed.
Last edited by Pat Ostman on 23 Jul 2012, 21:27, edited 2 times in total.
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
Lateagainpostie
Posts: 393
Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 18:17
Gender: Male

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by Lateagainpostie »

new26 wrote:As a reserve on many different walks, how am I supposed to remember the one house that has opted out on a walk containing 800 addresses?
We use those small red sticky dots you can get, and mark the houses on the frame, it works and is easy to use.
If you love Man Utd, you'll love my forum Talkingreds
somerset
Posts: 582
Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 16:23

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by somerset »

:cuppa So when i buy the Radio Times or get my free weekly news paper stuffed with junk inside . What do i do? Tell Radio Times i do not want it ? Or the paper girl or man ? It is the same thing .
briantwigley
Posts: 135
Joined: 27 Mar 2012, 18:24
Gender: Male

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by briantwigley »

I ignore any signs and deliver anyway. The only houses I dont deliver D2Ds to are empty ones or inaccessible ones.

Pretty much everything we deliver is s**t anyway, all these poxy catalogues and scams theres just nothing we can do.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: NO JUNK MAIL PLEASE.......

Post by Bahia Feliz »

postypie wrote:today i delivered 400 d2d's
You only have to do 1/6th a day