ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

what level of education do you have?

degree
58
23%
hnd/equivalent
34
14%
a levels/scottish highers
41
16%
gcse (c or above)/o level/ scottish ordinaries
65
26%
gcse (d or below)
9
4%
other
10
4%
cse
22
9%
left school empty handed
12
5%
 
Total votes: 251

Splappy_McSplap
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Splappy_McSplap »

fishtank wrote:You also said that the obnoxious ones hated you from day one because you came in with a degree
I said I had a problem with that.
obviously if they were unaware of the level of your education it must have been for some other reason that they took such an instant dislike to you.
My retention of anal gas? My non-interest in football and gambling? I started as a part timer, that's another rift within RM. Maybe it's that.

I think Tman is right. A lot of it is "inverted snobbery", which really is just the same snobbery I am apparently guilty of because I don't make everyone smell my farts. Maybe there is some undiscovered pheremone in rectal emissions that makes working class people like you.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fishtank »

Is it inverted snobbery though?
The only one calling anyone names on this thread has been you.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fishtank »

I think the mistake you make is in believing that your colleagues behaviour towards you and in the office in general has anything to do with either your level of formal education or theirs.
It doesn't.......tossers are tossers. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Splappy_McSplap
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Splappy_McSplap »

fishtank wrote:I think the mistake you make is in believing that your colleagues behaviour towards you and in the office in general has anything to do with either your level of formal education or theirs.
It doesn't.......tossers are tossers. :neutral:
Maybe so.

"Tossers" though? Isn't that....name calling?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fishtank »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:
Maybe so.

"Tossers" though? Isn't that....name calling? :left:
That's why i left it for my last word on the subject. :wave
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by stokes11eg »

:Very Happy
dvbuk55 wrote:
stokes11eg wrote::Very Happy LOL! I do not have a degree, and I'm nor bitter! It's not true to say all people are ! Sorry Mcsplap--but maybe if you change your attitude a little!
Well the door is open for you stokesy, now that you are leaving the fold maybe you could get an "ology" - I mean there's palaeontology if you fancy messing about with old bones........and it just so happens :chuckle
:Very Happy :Very Happy LOL!-- I dig this!
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by stokes11eg »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:
fishtank wrote:You also said that the obnoxious ones hated you from day one because you came in with a degree
I said I had a problem with that.
obviously if they were unaware of the level of your education it must have been for some other reason that they took such an instant dislike to you.
My retention of anal gas? My non-interest in football and gambling? I started as a part timer, that's another rift within RM. Maybe it's that.

I think Tman is right. A lot of it is "inverted snobbery", which really is just the same snobbery I am apparently guilty of because I don't make everyone smell my farts. Maybe there is some undiscovered pheremone in rectal emissions that makes working class people like you.[/quote :sad: McSplap----maybe time you put your degree to use, and took up employment with the upper echelons of society! A lot of us don't 'do' farting gambling. swearing etc---but still 'fit in'----
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Tman »

Don't make too many blind assumptions Tman,you have no idea what level of education i have.
I didn't make any assumptions about your level of education, I "supposed" you were intelligent, and as many on here keep pointing out, intelligence and education aren't necessarily the same, so where's the problem?
As usual you take little bits of information and use a 10lb mallet to shape it into something that suits.
And what's with the indirect but blatant reference to my posts?
It wasn't "blatant" but a "clear" reference, and as in that post your rather nicely summed up many peoples' attitudes to those with degrees I used it to illustrate my point. Incidentally, your analogies are becoming increasing bizarre, too..
Don't tell me you really think people won't still realise you're having a cheap dig?
That old paranoia again, Fishers....
We're maybe not the brightest but i think we can see through that.
Obviously "we" misunderstand then, don't "we"?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fishtank »

Tman wrote:I didn't make any assumptions about your level of education,
Tman wrote:it's the old inverted snobbery of the "we don't do boffs" bottom of the educational achievement scale working class attitude in action again.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Tman »

Was it specifically you the expression or the attitude was attributed to then, Fishy?

:nervous :nervous "They're out to get me...." :nervous :nervous
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Tman wrote:
It wasn't "blatant" but a "clear" reference, and as in that post your rather nicely summed up many peoples' attitudes to those with degrees I used it to illustrate my point. Incidentally, your analogies are becoming increasing bizarre, too..?
Both words mean the same in the context shown - tut tut, no degree in English then tman:whistle I'll bet it's in media studies.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

This thread needs a random picture

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:This thread needs a random picture

Image
Does this guy have a degree or is he a flatulent beast :chuckle because it would appear there are only two categories and which one do you fall under teebs :angel
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fishtank »

Tman wrote:Was it specifically you the expression or the attitude was attributed to then, Fishy?
That's the whole point though and the problem running through this thread.
It doesn't matter who you were aiming it at,it was someone you didn't know(most likely me :neutral: ) and you had no idea what their level of education actually might be.
My position on degrees is not and never was the position you tried to paint,I actually believe that although holding a degree is definitely a personal achievement it is not in itself a key to untold riches nor is it a sign that the holder is somehow a "better" person than the next,or may in fact fart less...I believe that if you want to actually earn money from a degree in these days of market saturation it has to be relevant and you have to be prepared to work long hours for little reward for a significant period of time,and yes probably in a lot of cases in a management non-job.
I think that's a perfectly reasonable position,there will be exceptions in both directions obviously but you can't expect someone to hold a position on every single person who obtains a degree.
As for someone who has decided to make postman their career choice,i am completely ambivalent towards their list of qualifications as i would imagine most people would be...it's hardly relevant.

The problem with your position seems to me,and i apologise beforehand if i have it wrong,that rather than believe that someone who has benefited from a decent education may feel this way you stick anyone who dares take that position into the bitter,inverted snobbery,underachieving,working class box.
No difference really between that and saying that guy has a degree...he must be a right knobend.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
bunkerland
Posts: 546
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by bunkerland »

There's a fair few in our office with degrees in various things :thumbup and i can't say i've ever been aware of them being treated any differently to anyone else. I've certainly NEVER been aware of any bitterness or jealousy directed towards them because of it,i don't even think anyone cares to be honest,just all posties,mates or colleagues,one or tother. In my experience popularity or lack of it comes from how you treat other people not from a piece of paper.

Got to say another thing i've never seen in my office is anyone with a degree looking down on their "working class" colleagues with a self superior and condescending manner,if someone did have that sort of attitude i would say they would make themselves very unpopular,i suppose blaming that unpopularity on their degree would be better than considering the alternative. :hmmmm

Anyway,how do we define working,middle class? :hmmmm I flunked my degree course so i can't be middle class :sad: but i can hold a fart in so i can't be working class either! :sad: :wave