ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

what level of education do you have?

degree
58
23%
hnd/equivalent
34
14%
a levels/scottish highers
41
16%
gcse (c or above)/o level/ scottish ordinaries
65
26%
gcse (d or below)
9
4%
other
10
4%
cse
22
9%
left school empty handed
12
5%
 
Total votes: 251

Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Tman »

I wouldn't worry too much Mcslap; it's the old inverted snobbery of the "we don't do boffs" bottom of the educational achievement scale working class attitude in action again.

Any effort over and above actually turning up most days is to be decried, any spark of interest hidden, and that's one of the reasons why GB now has a huge underclass of the unemployable.
You only need to scan back several posts to see a post which typifies the thinking and to see how a (supposedly intelligent) poster views degrees and those who hold them. Sad, ain't it? :cry
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Tman wrote:I wouldn't worry too much Mcslap; it's the old inverted snobbery of the "we don't do boffs" bottom of the educational achievement scale working class attitude in action again.

Any effort over and above actually turning up most days is to be decried, any spark of interest hidden, and that's one of the reasons why GB now has a huge underclass of the unemployable.
You only need to scan back several posts to see a post which typifies the thinking and to see how a (supposedly intelligent) poster views degrees and those who hold them. Sad, ain't it? :cry
I wouldn't say you were unemployable Tman, you are employed in theory. It is a moot point as to whether being paid and doing any work would be classed as unemployable. Do you have a degree Tman or do you fall into the category of being envious of those who have as opposed to those who may well have a degree or two who couldn't care less about them.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fishtank »

Tman wrote:You only need to scan back several posts to see a post which typifies the thinking and to see how a (supposedly intelligent) poster views degrees and those who hold them. Sad, ain't it? :cry
Don't make too many blind assumptions Tman,you have no idea what level of education i have.
As usual you take little bits of information and use a 10lb mallet to shape it into something that suits.
And what's with the indirect but blatant reference to my posts? :left:
Don't tell me you really think people won't still realise you're having a cheap dig?
We're maybe not the brightest but i think we can see through that. :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by krussel »

fishtank wrote:Do people fart deliberately?
I would imagine the gas has to go somewhere.
I know that in women, the menstrual cycle can contribute to flatulence,and various illnesses and conditions in both men and women can also cause wind.
Not being a doctor i wouldn't want to judge and i would imagine a manager would be very wary of dipping his/her toe in that discrimination infested water. :nervous

This guy really did fish :sad:

He lived on his own (no surprise there) and would eat all sorts of things to try and produce more smell :Sick

He peaked at curried turnips with a baked beans sauce. He would wash this lot down with 4 cans of guinness. He was very proud of his achievements and they were funny at first but after a while It was plain foul. :cry

I doubt he had a degree.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

krussel wrote:
fishtank wrote:Do people fart deliberately?
I would imagine the gas has to go somewhere.
I know that in women, the menstrual cycle can contribute to flatulence,and various illnesses and conditions in both men and women can also cause wind.
Not being a doctor i wouldn't want to judge and i would imagine a manager would be very wary of dipping his/her toe in that discrimination infested water. :nervous

This guy really did fish :sad:

He lived on his own (no surprise there) and would eat all sorts of things to try and produce more smell :Sick

He peaked at curried turnips with a baked beans sauce. He would wash this lot down with 4 cans of guinness. He was very proud of his achievements and they were funny at first but after a while It was plain foul. :cry

I doubt he had a degree.
Well who can say? He may have had a chemistry degree. After all it must have taken some degree of intelligence to concoct curried turnip with baked bean sauce and guinness, what would have been the result with lager and curried cualiflower for example.
Last edited by dvbuk55 on 22 Jul 2012, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by stokes11eg »

:sad: Don't think it's the degree that's causing the problems--just attitude--to use words such as scumbags, and dumb apes,---well, wouldn't expect that sort of name calling from an educated person! Still agree with him though about the farting! it can make you boak!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

stokes11eg wrote::sad: Don't think it's the degree that's causing the problems--just attitude--to use words such as scumbags, and dumb apes,---well, wouldn't expect that sort of name calling from an educated person! Still agree with him though about the farting! it can make you boak!
Well stop doing it stokesy, it won't bode well in your new employment :whistle :chuckle
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by stokes11eg »

dvbuk55 wrote:
stokes11eg wrote::sad: Don't think it's the degree that's causing the problems--just attitude--to use words such as scumbags, and dumb apes,---well, wouldn't expect that sort of name calling from an educated person! Still agree with him though about the farting! it can make you boak!
Well stop doing it stokesy, it won't bode well in your new employment :whistle :chuckle
:Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy My working days will be over soon, I hope--and although I do not have a degree, I'd not break wind in public.LOL! I wis brung up proper-----
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

stokes11eg wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
stokes11eg wrote::sad: Don't think it's the degree that's causing the problems--just attitude--to use words such as scumbags, and dumb apes,---well, wouldn't expect that sort of name calling from an educated person! Still agree with him though about the farting! it can make you boak!
Well stop doing it stokesy, it won't bode well in your new employment :whistle :chuckle
:Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy My working days will be over soon, I hope--and although I do not have a degree, I'd not break wind in public.LOL! I wis brung up proper-----
As my dear old Grannie used to say, "let the wind go wherever you be for it was wind that killeth me" - I'm not sure if she made that up because she was prone to flatulence or if it was an old homily from Cambridgeshire where she was born. I put it down to Cambridgeshire, which I assume is full of rubes :cuppa
Splappy_McSplap
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Splappy_McSplap »

dvbuk55 wrote:Just as a matter of interest mcslap, do you think this is the job for you?
I wouldn't be doing the job if I didn't think it was. I think that's a fairly rude question too, imagine if your line manager asked you that, I know I'd be fairly insulted. Do you think it's the job for you? Maybe the habitual farters and loudmouths, and the people that get jealous and hide your mail if it looks you're getting out earlier than them should be asked the same thing. I became a postman because of the delivery portion, being my own boss, working outdoors, not having to be stuck in an office all day. The indoor part, I basically endure with gritted teeth while the loudmouths and the farters who make themselves heard over the decent ones act like they're in primary school. I like a few of the people that I work with, more still I have no problem at all with. I don't see how me having a problem with the obnoxious ones that hated me from day one because I came in with a degree, or because I could complete a sentence without using a word that begins with "f" makes me not up to doing the job....and it certainly wasn't in my job description that I'd have to like the smell of farts.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Just as a matter of interest mcslap, do you think this is the job for you?
I wouldn't be doing the job if I didn't think it was. I think that's a fairly rude question too, imagine if your line manager asked you that, I know I'd be fairly insulted. Do you think it's the job for you? Maybe the habitual farters and loudmouths, and the people that get jealous and hide your mail if it looks you're getting out earlier than them should be asked the same thing. I became a postman because of the delivery portion, being my own boss, working outdoors, not having to be stuck in an office all day. The indoor part, I basically endure with gritted teeth while the loudmouths and the farters who make themselves heard over the decent ones act like they're in primary school. I like a few of the people that I work with, more still I have no problem at all with. I don't see how me having a problem with the obnoxious ones that hated me from day one because I came in with a degree, or because I could complete a sentence without using a word that begins with "f" makes me not up to doing the job....and it certainly wasn't in my job description that I'd have to like the smell of farts.
Well in that case you're going to have to bite the bullet, because it isn't going to get any better. Just imagine how rude I would be if I worked at your DO and it was just a question based on your negative attitude. Despite what you may think mcslap you aren't your own boss.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fishtank »

Splappy_McSplap wrote: I don't see how me having a problem with the obnoxious ones that hated me from day one because I came in with a degree, or because I could complete a sentence without using a word that begins with "f" makes me not up to doing the job....and it certainly wasn't in my job description that I'd have to like the smell of farts.
It's unlikely they hated you from day one because you came in with a degree,unless of course you felt the need to tell them on day one that you had a degree.
Perhaps that better explains the level of animosity,after all only a very insecure or possibly obnoxious person would need to wave an irrelevant qualification around like some kind of Blue Peter badge.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Splappy_McSplap
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Splappy_McSplap »

fishtank wrote:
Splappy_McSplap wrote: I don't see how me having a problem with the obnoxious ones that hated me from day one because I came in with a degree, or because I could complete a sentence without using a word that begins with "f" makes me not up to doing the job....and it certainly wasn't in my job description that I'd have to like the smell of farts.
It's unlikely they hated you from day one because you came in with a degree,unless of course you felt the need to tell them on day one that you had a degree.
Perhaps that better explains the level of animosity,after all only a very insecure or possibly obnoxious person would need to wave an irrelevant qualification around like some kind of Blue Peter badge.
Read my first post again.

I don't go about telling everyone that I have a degree. I mentioned this before anything else.

People are so quick to jump to conclusions and assume the worst about a person here, it's like....actually being in the MC.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Well some people have the sort of face you take an instant dislike to regardless of qualifications and sometimes a persons demeanour gives the game away.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fishtank »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:
Read my first post again.

I don't go about telling everyone that I have a degree. I mentioned this before anything else.

You also said that the obnoxious ones hated you from day one because you came in with a degree,obviously if they were unaware of the level of your education it must have been for some other reason that they took such an instant dislike to you.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share