ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/mr-just ... -31443954/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A POSTIE was clamped in a pub car park – after delivering mail to the landlord.

Stephen Dixon had to pay £150 to get his car released at the Flying Scotsman, Forest Hall, North Tyneside.

The Royal Mail worker, who uses his own car for work, said a company called Lockdown Security Management had recently started operating in the car park.

He said: “They are going clamping crazy. Everyone is complaining about it.

“I thought I had permission from the landlord to use the car park but it appears I was wrong.

“On the day I was clamped I had delivered some mail to the pub and then to six or seven houses.

“It was a terrible day, with torrential rain, and I had my Royal Mail waterproof, so he knew I was a postman.” Stephen was clamped by Paul Schubeler, a director of Lockdown Security, who said he could not waive the release fee.

Stephen said: “Paul said he didn’t realise I was a postie or he would not have clamped me.

“I was working at the time, and I was wearing Royal Mail waterproofs, so I can’t see why I should have to pay.”

A spokesman for the Royal Mail said posties were allowed to use their own cars but there was no agreement with the owners of private car parks to avoid clamping.

I left several messages for Angus, the landlord of the Flying Scotsman, but none were returned.

But I did speak to Jonathan Caisley, Paul’s business partner at Lockdown, who said: “I have spoken to Angus and the postman does not have permission to park at the Flying Scotsman.

“We would not clamp a Royal Mail van but he was using his own vehicle.

“We have been there a couple of months now and there is a problem with people parking up and going on the Metro.”

Stephen appealed against the clamping fee but his plea was turned down. It is not the first time I have come across Lockdown Security Management.

In March, I revealed how the company was warned not to clamp illegally on public land. Some motorists were refunded after the company blamed a misunderstanding with the owners of the land.

Earlier, Paul’s previous company – Secure Parking Ltd – had been given a similar warning for clamping illegally.

At the time he told me: “Aw, what do you want now? Are you going to put another article in the paper, are you? I suggest you go and blow on someone else’s trumpet, not me, OK? You are really sort of annoying me, fella.”

And I guess Paul, who is happy for his partner to deal with my subsequent inquiries, is really annoying drivers like Stephen.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by Straight4ward »

“We would not clamp a Royal Mail van but he was using his own vehicle.
Somehow I think that sympathy is going to be in short supply on here.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by P13 »

Straight4ward wrote:
“We would not clamp a Royal Mail van but he was using his own vehicle.
Somehow I think that sympathy is going to be in short supply on here.
I wonder what makes you think that :Very Happy
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by DGP1 »

:silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced :nervous
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
DHARMA16
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Nov 2011, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by DHARMA16 »

He shouldnt be using his car :nana
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by DirtyHarry »

DHARMA16 wrote:He shouldnt be using his car :nana
It should happen to every berk that uses their own vehicle to do Royal Mail work. :nana :Very Happy
chelseachris
Posts: 164
Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 14:28
Gender: Male

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by chelseachris »

DirtyHarry wrote:
DHARMA16 wrote:He shouldnt be using his car :nana
It should happen to every berk that uses their own vehicle to do Royal Mail work. :nana :Very Happy
I agree, cannot wait to show this to the muppet who uses his car in our office. :arrrghhh
red1968
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 121
Joined: 06 Apr 2010, 22:03
Gender: Male

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by red1968 »

Has he got a business insurance on his car ,bet not...
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by NWpostie »

I thought clamping is now illegal for private companies ?

Unless I am wrong only statutory public bodies can clamp cars and vans such as VOSA, Police, Councils etc

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... fence.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

NWpostie wrote:I thought clamping is now illegal for private companies ?

Unless I am wrong only statutory public bodies can clamp cars and vans such as VOSA, Police, Councils etc

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... fence.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I read it right it comes under the Freedoms Bill which only became law on 1 May 2012 - so this article may refer to an incident that happened before then.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by noggin1969 »

Oh dear , what a shame , never mind :Very Happy
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by Lincox »

spokesman for the Royal Mail said posties were allowed to use their own cars but there was no agreement with the owners of private car parks to avoid clamping.

Another spokesperson for Royal Mail who obviously has never read the BT2010 Agreement. Is a sacking imminent Moya.
PhilthyPhil
Posts: 1155
Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by PhilthyPhil »

If they have not yet had a DM revision then they are still allowed to use their cars (not that I support doing so).
demon
Posts: 732
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 14:19
Gender: Female

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by demon »

yeah no cars to be used on delivery 150.00 pounds to get a flyer ooch
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: Postman clamped while delivering to Tyneside pub

Post by P13 »

I wonder if he will be doing a bit of overtime for the next few weeks ? :Very Happy