ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

what level of education do you have?

degree
58
23%
hnd/equivalent
34
14%
a levels/scottish highers
41
16%
gcse (c or above)/o level/ scottish ordinaries
65
26%
gcse (d or below)
9
4%
other
10
4%
cse
22
9%
left school empty handed
12
5%
 
Total votes: 251

Splappy_McSplap
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Splappy_McSplap »

Do you like to whistle over the songs on the radio too?
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:Do you like to whistle over the songs on the radio too?
Absolutely! Not that I can hold a tune of course but hey what do I care, sometimes it's not even the same tune. The radio does have it's benefit though, if it's loud enough it masks the sound of breaking wind, even more so if I whistle with my fingers in my mouth, having washed my hands first - well at some point during the week. The stench of course is a different matter though the chairs are close enough together to be able to blame someone several stools away - no pun intended :whistle :whistle :whistle
chunk
Posts: 957
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by chunk »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Thank god for that! I had chicken tikka for tea and was worried I would turn into a mindless ape overnight...
The stench of course is a different matter though the chairs are close enough together to be able to blame someone several stools away - no pun intended :whistle :whistle :whistle
Its alright to follow through with that pun.
I personally couldn't sit on such an opportunity to squeeze out a laugh. :whistle
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by TheCobra »

briantwigley wrote:
TheCobra wrote:I have a first class degree in Computing.

Worked in an office for 2 years and realised I hated the whole thing, offices, office people/politics, sitting in front of a computer all day getting aches and pains from barely moving, barely speaking. Horrible really.

I'd obviously like to do something a bit better paid, but really postman is a very unique job and I think I'll be doing it for a while. I could never go back to an office based job now, would always need some sort of 'out and about' element to any job I do.
The RAF are recruiting ICT Technicians... :whistle

I have a few highers but couldn't be bothered going to uni, most of my friends did and they don't have anything to show for it. (except a degree of course)
I don't agree with this whole 'a degree is worthless' stuff people say, to be honest it has value of course it does, but I suppose it's what you do with it. I had a very decent paid job in a web design company that I wouldn't have got without a degree.

The fact that I hated office life is a different matter, so to say a degree is worthless which some people on here ae saying is daft, it gives you choices and proves to employers that you have a certain level of education. People can scoff at that all they like, it's usually people who couldn't be arsed doing it that scoff at it.

Some of the people on my course are now teachers, others work in web design companies, they certainly wouldn't have got those jobs without a degree.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

TheCobra wrote:Some of the people on my course are now teachers, others work in web design companies, they certainly wouldn't have got those jobs without a degree.
Those are the success stories from the myriad of people who took the course and then of course there are those who work for Royal Mail, are unemployed, sleeping rough, too lazy to work et cetera. A degree is fine if it is put to use but it is certainly not a measure of someones worth and it is just a piece of paper. Some people may say that higher education is simply a sop for those who cannot leave school behind. There are perennial students who attend educational facilities to pander to their own vanity, are usually "mature" and may have more than one degree - so what?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:I don't really believe that a degree makes you intelligent, or better, or whatever it is that all the people who don't have degrees get all bitter about.
Wow; as a definition of a sweeping statement the extract above could be used as an example. :wink: :wink: :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Splappy_McSplap wrote:I don't really believe that a degree makes you intelligent, or better, or whatever it is that all the people who don't have degrees get all bitter about.
Wow; as a definition of a sweeping statement the extract above could be used as an example. :wink: :wink: :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
Well I can't say I'm bitter but of course there could be a good reason for that :angel
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by stokes11eg »

:Very Happy LOL! I do not have a degree, and I'm nor bitter! It's not true to say all people are ! Sorry Mcsplap--but maybe if you change your attitude a little!
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by taurus88 »

A degree isn't worthless, I don't think anybody would suggest that. There are many arguments others might stretch to. You might say that SOME degrees are worthless, or that some of the people obtaining a degree are worthless. However, I think people ought to get away from this idea of University + Degree = Success. Education is about learning, about expanding one's knowledge base, about being passionate about the pursuit of these things. People should go to University for the sake of these things. Unfortunately nowadays, too many individuals go to University for different reasons; to avoid the dole, to drink, to f*ck, to get a leg-up on the job ladder. Education should come first, and everything else should be a bonus.

I personally could have gone to University, got a degree, but it didn't appeal to me. It still doesn't. If I knew what I wanted to do, and University was a part of that, I would consider it.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

stokes11eg wrote::Very Happy LOL! I do not have a degree, and I'm nor bitter! It's not true to say all people are ! Sorry Mcsplap--but maybe if you change your attitude a little!
Well the door is open for you stokesy, now that you are leaving the fold maybe you could get an "ology" - I mean there's palaeontology if you fancy messing about with old bones........and it just so happens :chuckle
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by krussel »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:Next time one of your beloved salt of the earth proletariat working men friends that are so important to you lets loose with a silent disgusting, rotten egg, faeces and curry spice with a hint of that paint you used to get in primary school fart next to you when you're on the sorting, and then plays the "it wasn't me" game (oh what a character) just think of me.
Splappy does have a point with this. :confused

One postie was so bad with this and took a real pleasure with making people feel ill that he ended up being reported. They said that he was warned by the dom, either way it got better. :Applause
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fishtank »

Do people fart deliberately?
I would imagine the gas has to go somewhere.
I know that in women, the menstrual cycle can contribute to flatulence,and various illnesses and conditions in both men and women can also cause wind.
Not being a doctor i wouldn't want to judge and i would imagine a manager would be very wary of dipping his/her toe in that discrimination infested water. :nervous
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by clashcityrocker »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evwLzR57 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Splappy_McSplap
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Splappy_McSplap »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Splappy_McSplap wrote:I don't really believe that a degree makes you intelligent, or better, or whatever it is that all the people who don't have degrees get all bitter about.
Wow; as a definition of a sweeping statement the extract above could be used as an example. :wink: :wink: :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
You're right, it was a sweeping statement.

Those at RM who don't have degrees either:

1) Went to the "university of life" (and apparently took radio whistle-along and silent fart delivery as electives) and go on about how a degree is a worthless piece of paper and that anyone who went to university is a lazy, arrogant snob born with a silver spoon in their mouth.
2) Actually tried to get a degree and flunked, maybe in time convincing themselves that the above is true, maybe learning and admitting to themselves that they just couldn't do it.
3) Are simple, naive, or haven't been working for Royal Mail long enough to get all bitter and twisted and adopt opinion 1....or maybe they're actually genuinely reasonable people.

Those who have degrees either:

1) Genuinely believe that they are better than everyone else because they have a degree. (No, that's not me)
2) Don't feel that way, and maybe even gain a bit of respect for the hard work they and their (flatulent and non-flatulent) colleagues at Royal Mail do.

So, in summary, if I was in charge, anyone caught farting would be dragged to the office by RM stormtroopers where their anuses would be superglued shut.

(Don't take the previous line seriously)
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Splappy_McSplap wrote:I don't really believe that a degree makes you intelligent, or better, or whatever it is that all the people who don't have degrees get all bitter about.
Wow; as a definition of a sweeping statement the extract above could be used as an example. :wink: :wink: :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
You're right, it was a sweeping statement.

People who don't have degrees either:

1) Went to the "university of life" (and apparently took radio whistle-along and silent fart delivery as electives) and go on about how a degree is a worthless piece of paper and that anyone who went to university is a lazy, arrogant snob born with a silver spoon in their mouth.
2) Actually tried to get a degree and flunked, maybe in time convincing themselves that the above is true, maybe learning and admitting to themselves that they just couldn't do it.
3) Are simple, naive, or haven't been working for Royal Mail long enough to get all bitter and twisted and adopt opinion 1....or maybe they're actually genuinely reasonable people.

Those who have degrees either:

1) Genuinely believe that they are better than everyone else because they have a degree. (No, that's not me)
2) Don't feel that way, and maybe even gain a bit of respect for the hard work they and their (flatulent and non-flatulent) colleagues at Royal Mail do.

So, in summary, if I was in charge, anyone caught farting would be dragged to the office by RM stormtroopers where their anuses would be superglued shut.

(Don't take the previous line seriously)
OK, I won't, together with the remainder of your posts. Just as a matter of interest mcslap, do you think this is the job for you? I would imagine a warden on Dartmoor would be more suited - but hey you probably know best being educated to a very high standard.