ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

what level of education do you have?

degree
58
23%
hnd/equivalent
34
14%
a levels/scottish highers
41
16%
gcse (c or above)/o level/ scottish ordinaries
65
26%
gcse (d or below)
9
4%
other
10
4%
cse
22
9%
left school empty handed
12
5%
 
Total votes: 251

Splappy_McSplap
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Splappy_McSplap »

I feel reluctant to admit to having a degree to most of the people I work with. I would only really disclose it to other posties who I know also have degrees.

Most of the posties where I work are hardcore working class, whistling, farting, bitter, jaded, childish, jealous, obnoxious, middle-class people hating, can't-complete-a-sentence-without-the-f-word so and sos.

There are some decent ones among them though.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:I feel reluctant to admit to having a degree to most of the people I work with. I would only really disclose it to other posties who I know also have degrees.

Most of the posties where I work are hardcore working class, whistling, farting, bitter, jaded, childish, jealous, obnoxious, middle-class people hating, can't-complete-a-sentence-without-the-f-word so and sos.

There are some decent ones among them though.
TBH what difference does a degree make to the job you do?
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by taurus88 »

It doesn't make a bit of difference. The majority of the work-force is what it is. A collective drawn from a thousand different backgrounds. In terms of the post you quoted, it can be hard to judge people. I personally would never presume to judge anybody I work with until I actually know them. At work, I myself am stupid, bumbling, crass, and inconspicuous. I don't portray myself as particularly intelligent in the work-place because I don't see how that would benefit me.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by stokes11eg »

:Very Happy :sad: Do not know wether to laugh or cry at Mcsplaps post! True some posties are of the farting obnoxious kind---but most are not, at least in public. But do not tell me those with degrees do not break wind, utter expletives, and look down on the 'working' classes? LOL!
Splappy_McSplap
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Splappy_McSplap »

stokes11eg wrote::Very Happy :sad: Do not know wether to laugh or cry at Mcsplaps post! True some posties are of the farting obnoxious kind---but most are not, at least in public. But do not tell me those with degrees do not break wind, utter expletives, and look down on the 'working' classes? LOL!
I don't fart in the DO and I really don't like it when others do. Maybe I'm too "middle class" in that respect. I don't look down on the working classes, other than the ones that fit my above description. Like I said, there are decent people among them, more decent, I dare say, than a good few from the middle classes which also contain a fair share of scumbags. What I was trying to say in my initial post was, if they know you went to university, (at least in my experience from the way I hear other posties who went to university talked about behind their backs, like they can't do a hard day's work, had it easy etc.) a good few of them will resent you, so I find it's better not to mention it.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:I don't fart in the DO and I really don't like it when others do. Maybe I'm too "middle class" in that respect. I don't look down on the working classes, other than the ones that fit my above description. Like I said, there are decent people among them, more decent, I dare say, than a good few from the middle classes which also contain a fair share of scumbags. What I was trying to say in my initial post was, if they know you went to university, (at least in my experience from the way I hear other posties who went to university talked about behind their backs, like they can't do a hard day's work, had it easy etc.) a good few of them will resent you, so I find it's better not to mention it.
Not a curry eater then mc. As for being resented :hmmmm I'm just wondering why an office full of postmen would resent someone who is more intelligent/better educated than themselves unless of course that person makes it blatantly obvious they ARE more intelligent/educated than your average person. Looked at logically what's to resent about someone doing the same job they do? Being the most intelligent/educated postman in any office must be rather like being the richest guy in the graveyard.
newtimes
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 595
Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by newtimes »

how do you measure intelligence and education. Is it jumping through hoops to get a bit of paper which people claim it shows you are more intelligent and going to red brick buildings where certain controlled information is passed on to you. :cuppa . Self education is cheaper, you learn more, and the establishments hates this, they lose control over you. :dcfo
Splappy_McSplap
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Splappy_McSplap »

dvbuk55 wrote: Not a curry eater then mc.
Curry makes you fart involuntarily? I have eaten many a curry and I still don't fart in the DO the next day. The real reason is that I don't particularly feel the desire to make other people smell the festering contents of my lower digestive tract. Call me a snob....I also know that "coughs and sneezes spread diseases". I suppose that makes me a right poncy **** too?
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote: Not a curry eater then mc.
Curry makes you fart involuntarily? I have eaten many a curry and I still don't fart in the DO the next day. The real reason is that I don't particularly feel the desire to make other people smell the festering contents of my lower digestive tract. Call me a snob....I also know that "coughs and sneezes spread diseases". I suppose that makes me a right poncy **** too?
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, yes! Snob. Judging from the description of your colleagues as a festering bunch of inbred retards it seems I should put in for a transfer. :wave
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fishtank »

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.o ... 0Retentive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anal retentive

The term anal-retentive (or anally retentive, anal retentive) derives from Freudian Psychology, although in common usage the original meaning has been altered. This term is often referred to simply as anal.


Common usage

Conversationally, the term is often used to describe a person deemed to be overly obsessed with minor details. Its roots are said to be from the theories of Sigmund Freud.

The term is often used in a colloquial, derogatory sense to describe a person with such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, and can be carried out to the detriment of the anal-retentive person.


Origins
In the psychology of Freud, the anal stage is said to follow the oral stage of infant or early-childhood development. This is a time when an infant's attention moves from oral stimulation to anal stimulation (usually the bowels but occasionally the bladder), usually synchronous with learning to control his or her excretory functions, a time of toilet training. Freud theorized that children who experience conflicts during this period of time may develop "anal" personality traits, namely those associated with a child's efforts at excretory control: orderliness, stubbornness, a compulsion for control.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Splappy_McSplap
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Splappy_McSplap »

....or maybe just considerate?

considerate
adjective
/kənˈsɪd.ər.ət/
/-ɚ-/

Definition
kind and helpful
It wasn't very considerate of you to drink all the milk.
Opposite: inconsiderate
chunk
Posts: 957
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by chunk »

dvbuk55 wrote:[ what's to resent about someone doing the same job they do? Being the most intelligent/educated postman in any office must be rather like being the richest guy in the graveyard.
:Applause an intelligent post !
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....
Splappy_McSplap
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Splappy_McSplap »

I don't really believe that a degree makes you intelligent, or better, or whatever it is that all the people who don't have degrees get all bitter about.

However, there is walking around farting and bellowing like a dumb ape, and there is behaving like an adult. I try to do the latter, and apparently that makes me a snob.

Next time one of your beloved salt of the earth proletariat working men friends that are so important to you lets loose with a silent disgusting, rotten egg, faeces and curry spice with a hint of that paint you used to get in primary school fart next to you when you're on the sorting, and then plays the "it wasn't me" game (oh what a character) just think of me.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fishtank »

Splappy_McSplap wrote:However, there is walking around farting and bellowing like a dumb ape, and there is behaving like an adult. I try to do the latter, and apparently that makes me a snob.
No it doesn't make you a snob and the anal retentive thing was just a joke about holding your farts in.
What makes you a snob or at least misguided is thinking that not farting somehow moves you onto a higher plane of existence than the "dumb apes".
It doesn't,it just means you don't fart.
Just like a degree,flatulence is not an accurate guide to a man's* worth.

*Obviously women never fart...or so i've been told.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:
Splappy_McSplap wrote:However, there is walking around farting and bellowing like a dumb ape, and there is behaving like an adult. I try to do the latter, and apparently that makes me a snob.
No it doesn't make you a snob and the anal retentive thing was just a joke about holding your farts in.
What makes you a snob or at least misguided is thinking that not farting somehow moves you onto a higher plane of existence than the "dumb apes".
It doesn't,it just means you don't fart.
Just like a degree,flatulence is not an accurate guide to a man's* worth.

*Obviously women never fart...or so i've been told.
Thank god for that! I had chicken tikka for tea and was worried I would turn into a mindless ape overnight..............it's still god help those next to me tomorrow. I hope it's a lovely young woman who, I'm afraid, is going to have to carry the burden of being blamed for reckless wind. Hopefully it will be restricted to wind and not something more drastic :chuckle