ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

what level of education do you have?

degree
58
23%
hnd/equivalent
34
14%
a levels/scottish highers
41
16%
gcse (c or above)/o level/ scottish ordinaries
65
26%
gcse (d or below)
9
4%
other
10
4%
cse
22
9%
left school empty handed
12
5%
 
Total votes: 251

Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Tman »

POSTMAN wrote:Hmmm,if i didn't know better Tman I would think you come on here looking for 'Fishy' to post so you can jump on him. :hmmmm
Strange thing though, paranoia. Fishy posts on lots of threads so wouldn't I "jump" on those too, if that were the case?
Unless you also happen to think that this particular outburst of his stands out and was "worthy" of reply?

Never mind, I'm still chuckling over the (apparently and allegedly unwitting) paradox of a postie decrying a university education when so many on here reckon they detest the job and can't stand RM for much longer.. :crazy: :hmmmm
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by POSTMAN »

Tman wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:Hmmm,if i didn't know better Tman I would think you come on here looking for 'Fishy' to post so you can jump on him. :hmmmm
Strange thing though, paranoia. Fishy posts on lots of threads so wouldn't I "jump" on those too, if that were the case?
Don't bull s**t,you're embarrassing yourself.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Well it would be fair to say that most postpeople are over qualified for the tasks we perform. Now those with degrees choose this path because they hold a degree of no practical use to an employer or having had one career choose to have a less stressful path. Are degrees today of the same value of those of 30 or 40 years ago? Are the new GCSEs of the same quality as the old GCEs? I think that the current government has answered that question recently! Some people with degrees in one particular subject never take up a career in that subject and probably because they didn't gain the qualifications necessary to take a degree in their chosen subject.

However the one immutable fact is that we are all employed by Royal Mail regardless of educational qualifications :cuppa
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Tman »

More like embarrassing you by pointing out the nonsense in your post,POSTMAN.
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fng »

You see..... " I like TMAN :hmmmm ...... but I also like FISHY :hmmmm ........but which one is best? :hmmmm ...... there's only one way to find out ..............
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
chunk
Posts: 957
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by chunk »

my observation of post people in many offices is that the education ranges from almost none to college/university.

there seems virtually no correlation with how quick someone sorts post and how many a levels they have.
(our fastest sorter hasnt a cse to his name) ...

First off i think that delivering post is an underrated job i often see it quoted as an being unskilled :crazy:
its the hardest job ive ever done and ive worked in retail ,manufacturing and building.
that said nurses and teachers seem to suffer from the same lack of respect/ appreciation .

I guess the loaded question is ...why are so many posties more educationally qualified than their managers?
no one answer is going to explain it
I sort of agree with a previous post which mentioned the high unemployment which is only one reason.
Observe the sorry sight of a dom as he timidly receives his conference call then 10 minutes later hes relaying his area managers instructions.
although i am one of those whos education is higher than his dom i honestly don't see his job as a step up from mine, more money yes
but he is shackled into an endless series of cost cuttings that will only end in tears
In the rm of 15 years ago i would have had a go.
but not the rm management of the present as its like a train crash in slow motion.
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

dvbuk55 wrote:Well it would be fair to say that most postpeople are over qualified for the tasks we perform. Now those with degrees choose this path because they hold a degree of no practical use to an employer or having had one career choose to have a less stressful path. Are degrees today of the same value of those of 30 or 40 years ago? Are the new GCSEs of the same quality as the old GCEs? I think that the current government has answered that question recently! Some people with degrees in one particular subject never take up a career in that subject and probably because they didn't gain the qualifications necessary to take a degree in their chosen subject.

However the one immutable fact is that we are all employed by Royal Mail regardless of educational qualifications :cuppa
"Are degrees today of the same value of those of 30 or 40 years ago?" No, twelve times as many degrees are given out annually as were then, and there certainly aren't twelve times more clever people about now, less more likely. :shock:
"Are the new GCSEs of the same quality as the old GCEs?" No, no more so than the £1 in your pocket is worth as much as it was 30 or 40 years ago. :sad:
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by stokes11eg »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Well it would be fair to say that most postpeople are over qualified for the tasks we perform. Now those with degrees choose this path because they hold a degree of no practical use to an employer or having had one career choose to have a less stressful path. Are degrees today of the same value of those of 30 or 40 years ago? Are the new GCSEs of the same quality as the old GCEs? I think that the current government has answered that question recently! Some people with degrees in one particular subject never take up a career in that subject and probably because they didn't gain the qualifications necessary to take a degree in their chosen subject.

However the one immutable fact is that we are all employed by Royal Mail regardless of educational qualifications :cuppa
"Are degrees today of the same value of those of 30 or 40 years ago?" No, twelve times as many degrees are given out annually as were then, and there certainly aren't twelve times more clever people about now, less more likely. :shock:
"Are the new GCSEs of the same quality as the old GCEs?" No, no more so than the £1 in your pocket is worth as much as it was 30 or 40 years ago. :sad:
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by krussel »

Intersting post :hmmmm

When i was at school you needed 5 or more O levels grade "C" or above to move in to 6th form and study for A levels.

Nowadays you can enter 6th form with just 4 GCSE grade "D" . :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

krussel wrote:Intersting post :hmmmm

When i was at school you needed 5 or more O levels grade "C" or above to move in to 6th form and study for A levels.

Nowadays you can enter 6th form with just 4 GCSE grade "D" . :hmmmm
Yes, when I were a lad sixth forum was for the intelligent elete :Very Happy now it's for everybody :sad: .
CORTINA
Posts: 210
Joined: 29 Jan 2009, 12:10
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by CORTINA »

Intelligence is only as good as the person having it and allowed to use it........

If when that person speaks and no notice is taken, then that intelligence can be deemed wasted or pointless..

Some posties are very intelligent and over qualified for postie work.... and at WTL they often voice opinions and ideas... that are rarely excepted by management but treat them like trouble makers...

That said it dosn`t often take much intelligence to point out constant management mistake and failures.... so the really intelligent ones keep a low profile while management have to sort out their OWN self inflicted problems .... they go to work, go out on delivery and then go home and forget it all.

AS THE SAYING GOES...IF YOU CAN KEEP CALM WHILE MANAGEMENT ARE ACTING LIKE IDIOTS.... THEN YOU MAY HAVE GOOD INTELLIGEANCE AND BETTER ABILITY OF ASSESSMENT OF THE PROBLEM
briantwigley
Posts: 135
Joined: 27 Mar 2012, 18:24
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by briantwigley »

TheCobra wrote:I have a first class degree in Computing.

Worked in an office for 2 years and realised I hated the whole thing, offices, office people/politics, sitting in front of a computer all day getting aches and pains from barely moving, barely speaking. Horrible really.

I'd obviously like to do something a bit better paid, but really postman is a very unique job and I think I'll be doing it for a while. I could never go back to an office based job now, would always need some sort of 'out and about' element to any job I do.
The RAF are recruiting ICT Technicians... :whistle

I have a few highers but couldn't be bothered going to uni, most of my friends did and they don't have anything to show for it. (except a degree of course)
bedfordrl
Posts: 386
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 22:16
Gender: Male
Location: North East Hampshire

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by bedfordrl »

fng wrote:You see..... " I like TMAN :hmmmm ...... but I also like FISHY :hmmmm ........but which one is best? :hmmmm ...... there's only one way to find out ..............

Is this what you had in mind ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rl46Dpy-P4

Heh.
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by wiganpostie »

Tman wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:Hmmm,if i didn't know better Tman I would think you come on here looking for 'Fishy' to post so you can jump on him. :hmmmm
Strange thing though, paranoia. Fishy posts on lots of threads so wouldn't I "jump" on those too, if that were the case?
Unless you also happen to think that this particular outburst of his stands out and was "worthy" of reply?

Never mind, I'm still chuckling over the (apparently and allegedly unwitting) paradox of a postie decrying a university education when so many on here reckon they detest the job and can't stand RM for much longer.. :crazy: :hmmmm
There is no paradox. Once upon a time I had what I considered to be my dream job, yet after a while I got bored of it, and started to complain about it. With such a broad spectrum of people employed by Royal Mail, moaning about the job is the one true thing we all have in common. Well, that and the weather. And Carol Kirkwood's t***s. Not that I'd ever complain about those, mind. :thumbup
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: are posties a bunch of clever-clogs?

Post by fng »

bedfordrl wrote:
fng wrote:You see..... " I like TMAN :hmmmm ...... but I also like FISHY :hmmmm ........but which one is best? :hmmmm ...... there's only one way to find out ..............

Is this what you had in mind ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rl46Dpy-P4

Heh.
Arrrrrrr those were the days. :Very Happy
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"