Gross Misconduct, caught on CCTV they did not believe it was a smoking aidThe wanderer wrote:Dismissed on what grounds?Red Robbo wrote:Believe or not a friend of mine was dismissed recently for using one of these aids in a non-designated smoking area, he's going to an ET to try and get some common sense out of the whole thing.
What was the reason for his dismissal?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Electronic cigarettes .
-
Red Robbo
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 680
- Joined: 31 Jan 2012, 09:23
- Gender: Male
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
-
The wanderer
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 79
- Joined: 28 May 2012, 13:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
CCTV eh, what was the real reason for his sacking?Red Robbo wrote:Gross Misconduct, caught on CCTV they did not believe it was a smoking aidThe wanderer wrote:Dismissed on what grounds?Red Robbo wrote:Believe or not a friend of mine was dismissed recently for using one of these aids in a non-designated smoking area, he's going to an ET to try and get some common sense out of the whole thing.
What was the reason for his dismissal?
Get rid of a 40 hour contract and replace with a 25 hour or was he just not liked by the management?
I hope he gets a good ET, I hear they cost £500 now.
I always feel like someone is watching me.
-
merrers1985
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 11 Apr 2011, 16:57
- Gender: Male
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
although better for you than the real thing you look a bit of a wally

-
postypie
- Posts: 435
- Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
This topic is such a drag...

-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
Would it not be easier to just quit?
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
Talell
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 227
- Joined: 16 Aug 2010, 22:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
Actually... My branch contacted HQ about this, and what they were told was that it is allowed on the premises, but not when you are in a van (since people might think you are smoking a real one)
The question was asked with regard parcelforce, but I'd think the policy would be the same, ask your manager
The question was asked with regard parcelforce, but I'd think the policy would be the same, ask your manager
-
feduppostie
- Posts: 947
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
at least 1 peep at my office has used one in the office with no come back
-
Royal_Fail
- Posts: 398
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 19:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
I asked my DOM about this he fine with me using it in canteen when on breaks but doesn't want to see me puffing away while i should be sorting etc.
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
You don't get paid to smoke a fake cigarette so if your 'paid for' duties suffer in order to do this then you should be conducted. You should not be allowed to take drugs on the premises, (and this is a drug hit ). If the smokers are allowed, as in my DO, a specified time for a smoke break then only at this time should the fake smokers, 'fokers' be allowed to partake. No 'in uniform' employee should be allowed to be seen by the general public whilst smoking, it brings the company name into disrepute.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
I think the same would easily apply to a cup of coffee Himaggen....Himaggen wrote:You don't get paid to smoke a fake cigarette so if your 'paid for' duties suffer in order to do this then you should be conducted. You should not be allowed to take drugs on the premises, (and this is a drug hit )..
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
somerset
- Posts: 582
- Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 16:23
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
I thought it was a general rule that there is no smoking on RM premises now? We have to stand outside the gate on the pavement in full view of the public ?Himaggen wrote: . No 'in uniform' employee should be allowed to be seen by the general public whilst smoking, it brings the company name into disrepute.
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
I fully agree with that.fishtank wrote:I think the same would easily apply to a cup of coffee Himaggen....
A cup of coffee should only be allowed during the same grace/cigarette break. If you want another one then make sure that it is before your duty time, during your allotted meal relief/rest break or after your duty has ended.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
I used patches for 5 weeks and gave up smoking 7 years ago, my son however did use one of those smoking aids which actually did smoke and that was two years ago. It was called tornado totally wicked and cost almost a hundred quid for the full kit and the refills. I wouldn't have an opinion as to whether you should be able to use it in the office but it certainly worked.
-
Talell
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 227
- Joined: 16 Aug 2010, 22:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
In principle, yes.Himaggen wrote:I fully agree with that.fishtank wrote:I think the same would easily apply to a cup of coffee Himaggen....
A cup of coffee should only be allowed during the same grace/cigarette break. If you want another one then make sure that it is before your duty time, during your allotted meal relief/rest break or after your duty has ended.
In practice, why not?
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Electronic cigarettes .
So might drinking coffee harm your colleagues health ?Himaggen wrote:I fully agree with that.fishtank wrote:I think the same would easily apply to a cup of coffee Himaggen....
A cup of coffee should only be allowed during the same grace/cigarette break. If you want another one then make sure that it is before your duty time, during your allotted meal relief/rest break or after your duty has ended.
And do you have the same attitude to drinking water as drinking coffee ?