ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

please help :(

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: please help :(

Post by fishtank »

skylander12 wrote:I'm bricking it big time :( i feel sick and unable to sleep

think i'm gonna go in on monday even though i'm not on duty till thursday and explain myself only problem is i'll prob drop other postie in it :(

so so upset with myself its un true
Try to calm down.
Even if it is flagged up,what happened is only potentially serious under certain circumstances which are very unlikely to apply to you.
Someone with 20 years experience would find it difficult to explain why 20 un-endorsed items were re-introduced into the system but you are inexperienced with minimal training following the advice of a supposedly more experienced colleague.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: please help :(

Post by krussel »

skylander12 wrote:I'm bricking it big time :( i feel sick and unable to sleep

think i'm gonna go in on monday even though i'm not on duty till thursday and explain myself only problem is i'll prob drop other postie in it :(

so so upset with myself its un true

Mate i know its easy to say but try to stay "chill"

I would seriously recommend you do not go in tomorrow and spill the beans as you will put yourself in a lose & lose situation.

As others have explained 20 letters going through the system will be noticed a the initial point BUT wither anyone will bother to do anything about it is another thing. You can never say for sure but there is a very good chance the will simply go through.

At my office if a large quantity of mail such as DSA (the ones with “s” in the corner) goes through the system it is placed into a bag and sent to the dom. Not sure 20 letters would be enough though.

If I was you instead of going in Monday why not get hold of your colleges mobile number (If you phone the office they should have his number) and give him a ring in the morning to find out if anything happened.

Chances are the mail will be swallowed up and re-delivered on Monday.

Now you’ve had a crap night worrying about all this so why not switch off the computer close the curtains and try and get some shut eye.
:thumbup
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
andybfc
Posts: 46
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 18:28
Gender: Male

Re: please help :(

Post by andybfc »

Really worrying about nothing in my opinion.
skylander12
Posts: 9
Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 18:01
Gender: Male

Re: please help :(

Post by skylander12 »

After much thought and a sleepless night I've come to the conclusion that no matter how much I worry about it there is nothing I can do now to change it.

What I have done I have done and will obviously learn the hard way, the worst that can happen when I'm next on duty is they can sack me. :pray that it doesn't happen but knowing my luck it will.

If I come out of the other side of this I now know that I need more training on my job and will ask manager for more help and also not to do anything stupid ever again.

Also I feel like the other postie has stiched me up big time, must have known this was wrong as been there for about 4 years.

Thanks to all who have given great advice and I can honestly say you have helped

P.s I'm a natural born worrier too meaning I worry about everything far far too much. :roll:
Alverton
Posts: 22
Joined: 01 May 2012, 22:30
Gender: Male

Re: please help :(

Post by Alverton »

Don't go in tomorrow.
Other postie shouldn't have told you to take them, happy for you to hide/repost them but not him, scumbag end of.
No training in all procedures is to blame, and the only person who had been working with you told you to do it.

In future;
Ask any questions you may have, no matter how small, tedious and annoying. Other posties, managers will get annoyed (they did to me, but I didn't care) You want to learn as quickly as poss, because no-one NO-ONE will tell you off their own backs. You'll learn quicker by finding out yourself.
Ask your line managers, (before you do it) if you think anything could be wrong or something doesn't sit right with you.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: please help :(

Post by dvbuk55 »

You have been given good advice on here already.

For my halfpenny worth - go in on your normal duty day, if anyone asks about mail introduced back into the system simply state the facts - you were doing as told to do by a senior colleague and if that was wrong (and it was) could the correct procedure be explained to you. In that way the blame is where it belongs and you are pointing out the lack of training in a manner that puts the onus on the manager.

In the meantime, don't worry about it.
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: please help :(

Post by ebbzie »

skylander12 wrote:I'm bricking it big time :( i feel sick and unable to sleep

think i'm gonna go in on monday even though i'm not on duty till thursday and explain myself only problem is i'll prob drop other postie in it :(

so so upset with myself its un true
Mate stop worrying, seen this happen many times its just ignored especially if its a one off, learn from this and dont do it again. As for dropping a workmate in it, dont. If by a miracle you are pulled into the office over this , then you have a great defence as in you have never been told what to do with the missorts and just followed the instructions of someone with a lot more experienced than you. So do NOTHING . There really is very little chance any one at the mail centre would notice or if they had even been bothered by a few letters. HTH
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: please help :(

Post by Lounge Lizard »

skylander12, I know I'm not alone in hopeing that nothing comes of this unfortunate incident, but please keep us informed.
I know it wasn't your intent but am sure that your comments on here, should it come to a disciplinary issue, are clear evidence of your true remorse for one mistake due to lack of training and failings of a colleague who should have known better - unlike defence solicitor's routine and unbelievable claims of remorse for everyone caught repeatably stealing from the mail.
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: please help :(

Post by Stella102 »

didnt they tell you about wilful delay in your training day before you start the job so technically you should know already and i bet they made you sign something about this anyhow. However don't worry about it we had a postie put the whole round in a box, nothing happened.
skylander12
Posts: 9
Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 18:01
Gender: Male

Re: please help :(

Post by skylander12 »

A bit calmer now I have realised that I can't do anything about it now and the worse that royal mail can do to me is sack me.

I KNOW I WILL NEVER EVER DO IT AGAIN but not sure that will be enough to keep my job.

I would never steal thats not my nature and i am too honest hence me wanting to go and confess to manager or even ring him.
I would never want to drop another collegue in it either.

I don't remember signing anything at training session but saying that there was that much info and sheet signing i couldn't say.

I will ensure on thursday that i speak with work place coach or manager on the issue i have with correct procedures and get them to clarify everything to me.

So I know I've cocked up big style but as they say you live and learn and this is ONE MISTAKE I WON'T BE FORGETTING.

Thanks for all the advice again and so glad there is somewhere like this you can get advice from

:oops:
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: please help :(

Post by krussel »

No worries buddy :Very Happy

Your going to be fine with this.

You learn by your mistakes in life and RM is no different.

Just wait till you sign for 6 registered letters and get to the end of your round with only 5 on your card (or PDA) :pray

After that you make sure that you write the addresses down so if you put one through by mistake without obtaining a sig you can call back and get the barcode sticker. :nervous
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: please help :(

Post by fng »

How did you get on ??????
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
MAILMAN84
Posts: 186
Joined: 04 May 2008, 14:05

Re: please help :(

Post by MAILMAN84 »

Lol ull be fine trust me. Done it many times u just have to make sure u endorse it all in future. It will get spotted and lino may just tap u on the shoulder for it. If they ask you about it, fess up (or tbh just act like U had no idea that was not on, cuz let's be honest the RM training is shoddy). Ud be surprised how many peeps make mistakes like this. The other classic one is posting special deliveries without a signature accidentally but tbh this is wher u have to be careful now. Our office have pdas and if you fail to confirm a special or a tracked, they really go into overdrive over it.
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: please help :(

Post by Stella102 »

ok imagine you misdeliver a few letters and that person decides to post them in the box pretty much the same thing nothing will happen and you definately wont be sacked unless you and the dom dont get on
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: please help :(

Post by BingBong »

ive been working for royal mail for a year now. i can only say if you dont ask you'll never know. i used to worry about things sometimes. but now im more comfortable. chill out. also you can find out a hell of alot in these forums. also remember. look after number 1 first.
Toon Army!