ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

mis-deliveries?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chunk
Posts: 957
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
Gender: Male

Re: mis-deliveries?

Post by chunk »

It may seem counter intuitive but a light day with many gaps can cause you as many mis-sorts as a heavy day.
eg you deliver to number 5....
you then automatically approach the number 7 door and post the mail for number 9 ! :oops:
which is the next in your bundle.
ironically when the call rate is high auto piloting doesnt seem to be an issue as you have mail for every door. :hmmmm
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: mis-deliveries?

Post by dvbuk55 »

I was delivering to a row of detached bungalows and you know how it is the greater the distance between calls the more the mind wanders. Anyway at the start of the row of about 23 it was a reasonably bulky bundle but by the time I'd got to the last nine I had about 8 or so letters for the next house with a couple of magazines and a similar sized bundle for the rest of the houses - well you may well have guessed what I did, luckily the customer was in later and I managed to retrieve it.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: mis-deliveries?

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

chunk wrote:It may seem counter intuitive but a light day with many gaps can cause you as many mis-sorts as a heavy day.
eg you deliver to number 5....
you then automatically approach the number 7 door and post the mail for number 9 ! :oops:
which is the next in your bundle.
ironically when the call rate is high auto piloting doesnt seem to be an issue as you have mail for every door. :hmmmm
I can definitely agree with this, I'm more prone to errors on the lighter days, because of going into "auto pilot mode."

Perhaps this is part of the reasoning why we have resigns outside a change in methods, because in theory we will be more alert on less familar territory?
chunk
Posts: 957
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
Gender: Male

Re: mis-deliveries?

Post by chunk »

love my trolley
part of the reasoning why we have resigns outside a change in methods, because in theory we will be more alert on less familar territory?
Its a nice thought but realistically i don't think doms or area managers spend 5 minutes worrying about mis sorts.
these are the only questions they consider:

Does it stop the mail going out ?
Does it affect my budget?
Can anybody hold me (dom) personally responsible?
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....