ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New Postie Has Questions

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Re: New Postie Has Questions

Post by Pat Ostman »

philj wrote:I'm not sure what to say about that. If I take a twenty minute break there's no way I'll ever finish on time.
And? :hmmmm

Really, it is their problem, not yours. That's why they get the big bucks. If we do not use our meal relief, in the future there is a possibility everyone will lose it. :cool

(Take your meal relief).
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
philj
Posts: 9
Joined: 28 Mar 2012, 21:32
Gender: Male

Re: New Postie Has Questions

Post by philj »

If I include breaks (not taken) in the hours I worked last week I went 2h55m over my 24. I completely understand what you guys are saying but do you really think they'll keep me on if I start bringing mail back? I'm six weeks into a three-month contract, remember.

I haven't had a chance to track down the union rep but I'll do it asap and report back. :)
kawoxux
Posts: 300
Joined: 18 Aug 2011, 19:36
Gender: Male

Re: New Postie Has Questions

Post by kawoxux »

philj wrote:If I include breaks (not taken) in the hours I worked last week I went 2h55m over my 24. I completely understand what you guys are saying but do you really think they'll keep me on if I start bringing mail back? I'm six weeks into a three-month contract, remember.

I haven't had a chance to track down the union rep but I'll do it asap and report back. :)
Don't bring it back without telling them first, but tell them if you think you can't complete in your time before you go out. They'll get the message eventually, and youve been doing it long enough to notice when you think you cant do it in time. Try to ignore any comparisons they try and make with other people, thats B&H :nana .

I used to claim for my break if I worked through it when I first started, and they used to ask if I would complete before I went out and would either take some off or offer OT (I think a tacit admission that they knew it was too much and I wasn't trained properly). Always got paid without fuss. But after reading some of the stories on here I think I'm in the (unfortunately) rare position of having alright managers...

Realistically, if you're good at the job then they'll likely keep you on anyway, hiring another new start costs more and is riskier than keeping someone they know whos alright.