ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Union Reps Wakeup
-
keithposty
- Posts: 918
- Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 11:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
QUOTE
someone chooses to be a rep they should do the job properly. I've NEVER known a rep who wasn't on a right good screw.
I MYSELF TAKE GREAT EXCEPTION TO COMMENTS LIKE THAT (nothing personel)
i myself have been offered managers position three times now since i became a rep, i would not even contemplate lowering myself to that level.
you people who state reps are useless need to understand what is involved in being a rep, try it, you will be surprised
members are the union
if you do not agree with policy decisions elect a new rep
DO NOT JUST SIT AND BELLYACHE EXPECTING A COLLEGUE TO STAND HIMSELF AND YOU DO NOTHING
First they came for the disabled, but I did not speak out as I was not disabled.
Then they came for the sick, but I did not speak out as I was not sick.
Then they came for the unemployed, but I did not speak out as I have a job.
Then they came for those on Tax Credits, I did not speak out as I was in credit.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak up for me.
With Thanks to Martin Niemöller, Germany, 1937.
THE POINT I AM MAKING IS THAT IF PEOPLE DO NOT SPEAK UP AND SAY NO, EXPECT THE REPERCUSSIONS
someone chooses to be a rep they should do the job properly. I've NEVER known a rep who wasn't on a right good screw.
I MYSELF TAKE GREAT EXCEPTION TO COMMENTS LIKE THAT (nothing personel)
i myself have been offered managers position three times now since i became a rep, i would not even contemplate lowering myself to that level.
you people who state reps are useless need to understand what is involved in being a rep, try it, you will be surprised
members are the union
if you do not agree with policy decisions elect a new rep
DO NOT JUST SIT AND BELLYACHE EXPECTING A COLLEGUE TO STAND HIMSELF AND YOU DO NOTHING
First they came for the disabled, but I did not speak out as I was not disabled.
Then they came for the sick, but I did not speak out as I was not sick.
Then they came for the unemployed, but I did not speak out as I have a job.
Then they came for those on Tax Credits, I did not speak out as I was in credit.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak up for me.
With Thanks to Martin Niemöller, Germany, 1937.
THE POINT I AM MAKING IS THAT IF PEOPLE DO NOT SPEAK UP AND SAY NO, EXPECT THE REPERCUSSIONS
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
Why?keithposty wrote:QUOTE
someone chooses to be a rep they should do the job properly. I've NEVER known a rep who wasn't on a right good screw.
I MYSELF TAKE GREAT EXCEPTION TO COMMENTS LIKE THAT (nothing personel)
It isn't aimed at you...or me i hope.
It's their experience and they have as much right to post their experience as you have.
As i stated earlier as long as they realise there is nothing practical we can do about it.
By attempting to silence criticism of all reps all you actually do is provide a hiding place for poor representation and feed the belief that the union doesn't listen to it's members.
On another note i personally take great exception to the constant misappropriation and bastardisation on internet forums of the Martin Niemöller quote.
I wasn't aware that he was on Tax Credits at the time.
He certainly wasn't referring to the CWU.
It is about as relevant in this case as "s**t happens".
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
keithposty
- Posts: 918
- Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 11:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
THE POINT I AM MAKING IS THAT IF PEOPLE DO NOT SPEAK UP AND SAY NO, EXPECT THE REPERCUSSIONS
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
That's a bit of a strange ethos from a die hard union man.keithposty wrote:THE POINT I AM MAKING IS THAT IF PEOPLE DO NOT SPEAK UP AND SAY NO, EXPECT THE REPERCUSSIONS
It's an admittance of defeat,that the union structure does not work,that the only way to save yourself from "REPERCUSSIONS" is to make noise and fight your own battles.
It is...by the way...the polar opposite of the Martin Niemöller ethos.
We build a union to protect the weak...those that can't/don't speak up...those they tend to come for first.
Reps who look after themselves first and abuse the position are a cancer,a disease,a boil on the arse of the union that should be lanced before they spread.
They should not be protected and sheltered because of the over-sensitivity of others.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
I was'nt going to post in this thread again but......fishtank wrote:
Reps who look after themselves first and abuse the position are a cancer,a disease,a boil on the arse of the union that should be lanced before they spread.
That was the point I was trying to make in my last post regarding my Rep. He's had a wake up call since there is someone there to challenge his position, someone who wants to do their best for the members. Perhaps some of these offices with Reps who are 'in it for themselves' need to be doing the same.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
I have every admiration for the unit reps because they truly are in the firing line and I firmly believe they should have more resources at that level. The people who are given release aren't actually dealing with the daily grind. So I believe the unit rep should be given release time proportionate to the members he represents in his unit and more when specific tasks/problems arise.
It would be foolish to think that every rep is diligent and puts the members first and that is not "one of the boys" to the branch and makes agreement that is NOT in the units best interest for whatever reason, obeying the Area Reps instructions or a too cosy relationship with the DOM or for personal gain or they simply are not up to the task BUT they are elected and I think that the vast majority do their best.
I am a little bit unsure of those above unit level as I believe they have for more to lose by being strong in the face of adversity.
It would be foolish to think that every rep is diligent and puts the members first and that is not "one of the boys" to the branch and makes agreement that is NOT in the units best interest for whatever reason, obeying the Area Reps instructions or a too cosy relationship with the DOM or for personal gain or they simply are not up to the task BUT they are elected and I think that the vast majority do their best.
I am a little bit unsure of those above unit level as I believe they have for more to lose by being strong in the face of adversity.
-
spoodoo
- Posts: 829
- Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
A young guy who's part time and been in rm for cpl years is struggling as his duty or any job he's on is never boxed in. I asked him if he's ever claimed overtime ,he said he's over all the time but he's always been scared to put in overtime! Felt sick when he told me that .
-
Big Daz
- Posts: 5668
- Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 20:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
ALL non members in my D.O know Im the rep ALL have had been invited to become members. Most non members are ex members due to BT2010.
New recruits when having their induction at the MC have a 1hour session with a CWU rep who explains all about the CWU and invites them to become members.
New recruits when having their induction at the MC have a 1hour session with a CWU rep who explains all about the CWU and invites them to become members.
-
rockytony67
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 419
- Joined: 04 Dec 2007, 18:31
- Gender: Male
- Location: London Town
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
That's a fair point Fishtank, but the problem is those that post on this site can obviously speak up, and make complaints about their reps, but these people don't seem to be able to speak up for "those they tend to come for first"(in my experience) by all means let's get rid of bad reps(and I've known a few) but it take's someone to stand in an office to be rep.fishtank wrote:That's a bit of a strange ethos from a die hard union man.keithposty wrote:THE POINT I AM MAKING IS THAT IF PEOPLE DO NOT SPEAK UP AND SAY NO, EXPECT THE REPERCUSSIONS
It's an admittance of defeat,that the union structure does not work,that the only way to save yourself from "REPERCUSSIONS" is to make noise and fight your own battles.
It is...by the way...the polar opposite of the Martin Niemöller ethos.
We build a union to protect the weak...those that can't/don't speak up...those they tend to come for first.
Reps who look after themselves first and abuse the position are a cancer,a disease,a boil on the arse of the union that should be lanced before they spread.
They should not be protected and sheltered because of the over-sensitivity of others.
It is without doubt the most thankless job you can do
Bravery isn’t not being afraid. Bravery is being afraid but doing it anyway
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
Just as a matter of interest BD what proportion of members to non-members do you have in your DO?Big Daz wrote:ALL non members in my D.O know Im the rep ALL have had been invited to become members. Most non members are ex members due to BT2010.
New recruits when having their induction at the MC have a 1hour session with a CWU rep who explains all about the CWU and invites them to become members.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
i don't think it's shocking or amazing rockytony.rockytony67 wrote:I just find the constant attack on unpaid unit reps amazingI can understand the attacks on HQ(whether I agree with them or not) but the constant attack on reps who do it, in their own duty time and are always(in my experience) rushing to get their own work done shocking
The kind of threads where attacks on reps frequently appear are a magnet for members with issues,problems and troubles.
Those issues are far more likely to pop up in an office with poor representation,it isn't representative of the whole site,membership,union or business.
If someone starts a thread called Union Reps Wakeup it wont take long for someone with rep issues to post on it.
We shouldn't let the fact that we respect the work done by the majority of the reps blind us to the fact that by it's voluntary nature representation in any union is patchy,the further up the chain you go the more professional it should be and the less excuse there is for failure.
Yes it's an unpaid,thankless task but if you can't or won't do it properly you're still a liability to your members.
Perhaps even more of a liability than if no-one is doing the job because at least then Branch should be aware of the risk.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Big Daz
- Posts: 5668
- Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 20:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
Aprox 57 mbrs and exactly 9 non mbrs.
-
rockytony67
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 419
- Joined: 04 Dec 2007, 18:31
- Gender: Male
- Location: London Town
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
fishtank wrote:i don't think it's shocking or amazing rockytony.rockytony67 wrote:I just find the constant attack on unpaid unit reps amazingI can understand the attacks on HQ(whether I agree with them or not) but the constant attack on reps who do it, in their own duty time and are always(in my experience) rushing to get their own work done shocking
The kind of threads where attacks on reps frequently appear are a magnet for members with issues,problems and troubles.
Those issues are far more likely to pop up in an office with poor representation,it isn't representative of the whole site,membership,union or business.
If someone starts a thread called Union Reps Wakeup it wont take long for someone with rep issues to post on it.
We shouldn't let the fact that we respect the work done by the majority of the reps blind us to the fact that by it's voluntary nature representation in any union is patchy,the further up the chain you go the more professional it should be and the less excuse there is for failure.
Yes it's an unpaid,thankless task but if you can't or won't do it properly you're still a liability to your members.
Perhaps even more of a liability than if no-one is doing the job because at least then Branch should be aware of the risk.
Fishtank who's the judge of whether the rep is doing the job correctly? as you say "Yes it's an unpaid,thankless task but if you can't or won't do it properly you're still a liability to your members" so what's the answer? I go for the basic one of we have a democratic union, and that someone should stand against the rep or there should be a vote of no confidence, I would love to know a better way
Bravery isn’t not being afraid. Bravery is being afraid but doing it anyway
-
Big Daz
- Posts: 5668
- Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 20:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
I would want to know what education and training they have had for the role.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Reps Wakeup
There has to be dual accountability from above and below and at the moment there isn't.rockytony67 wrote:Fishtank who's the judge of whether the rep is doing the job correctly? as you say "Yes it's an unpaid,thankless task but if you can't or won't do it properly you're still a liability to your members" so what's the answer? I go for the basic one of we have a democratic union, and that someone should stand against the rep or there should be a vote of no confidence, I would love to know a better way
If a rep is shafting 45% of his members and looking after 55% democracy says he stays whether someone else stands or not.
That's a lot of members not getting the representation they deserve..or pay for.
If you want a "for instance" part-time members in some offices are not getting 1in4 saturdays,in some cases working every saturday in order to facilitate 1in4 for the majority full-time staff.
Democracy is fine if you are the majority...just an empty word to the minority.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share