ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Pouching off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Pouching off

Post by arnold cheshire »

when you say another district do you mean another postcode ?
Johnny Remo
Posts: 48
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 07:24
Gender: Male

Re: Pouching off

Post by Johnny Remo »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:when you say another district do you mean another postcode ?
Yes, I assume so
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Pouching off

Post by arnold cheshire »

Johnny Remo wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:when you say another district do you mean another postcode ?
Yes, I assume so
so they could take time getting to your office then.
Johnny Remo
Posts: 48
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 07:24
Gender: Male

Re: Pouching off

Post by Johnny Remo »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
Johnny Remo wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:when you say another district do you mean another postcode ?
Yes, I assume so
so they could take time getting to your office then.
Is that my problem? What if I was going to be abroad? (still hoping the wife might suprise me!)

I like the autonomy of the job once you're out delivering, but the system for dealing with undelivered items seems to be pretty inefficient and puts a big onus on the postie, with pretty draconian penalties if you get it wrong. My walks till now have always been close to the office and like I say the office has usually been open when I get back. There may have been good reason for it being shut. (or just that the football/grand national was on!) It wasn't the usual manager and I didn't have a contact for him.

Like I say I'd never left my items at a PO before, and it's only yesterday I realised they closed early on a Saturday. If the guy in the shop I found hadn't finally agreed to take them I'm not sure what I'd have done. Probably gone home, got the car and taken the items to the drop box and have to contact the office on Monday(?) Seems crazy...

Lessons learnt - mainly make sure I have a contact for the manager.
JP1
Posts: 77
Joined: 23 Aug 2011, 23:49
Gender: Male

Re: Pouching off

Post by JP1 »

Our office has a letter box around the back for putting stuff in if you get back and it's closed.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Pouching off

Post by dvbuk55 »

TBH I'd still contact your office on Monday. If it is held at that subbie until Mondays collection the packets and mail will be delayed a further day unless someone nips out as soon as he opens to retrieve the stuff and get it delivered.
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: Pouching off

Post by P13 »

dvbuk55 wrote:TBH I'd still contact your office on Monday. If it is held at that subbie until Mondays collection the packets and mail will be delayed a further day unless someone nips out as soon as he opens to retrieve the stuff and get it delivered.
I think it was only his shuts he has pouched off , i would phone your manager on Monday and tell him where you pouched off and ask to be paid overtime for the time you spent running around looking for a Post Office
Johnny Remo
Posts: 48
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 07:24
Gender: Male

Re: Pouching off

Post by Johnny Remo »

Not just me having problems with finishing on a Saturday

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=44519

The idea of being able to post your undelivered items through a letter-box at the office would seem to be the simplest answer. How big is the letterbox tho' as I usually have packets way bigger than a post-box size letter-box?
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: Pouching off

Post by bigcol »

The simplest answer would be for a manager to be there.
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: Pouching off

Post by spen »

dont see the problem, youve pouched off at a post office as your meant to,, if it takes 1 day or 1 week to get back to the d o it doesn't matter, its not your problem its in the system
JP1
Posts: 77
Joined: 23 Aug 2011, 23:49
Gender: Male

Re: Pouching off

Post by JP1 »

Johnny Remo wrote:Not just me having problems with finishing on a Saturday

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=44519

The idea of being able to post your undelivered items through a letter-box at the office would seem to be the simplest answer. How big is the letterbox tho' as I usually have packets way bigger than a post-box size letter-box?
It's quite big. I've seen some houses with bigger, but not many. There was one time where something didn't fit but I got it into the pillar box round the front (since they are at angles so you can squash something in and there's room for maneuver). I got told not to do that again though because someone came on Monday to collect it, and it didn't get back until Tuesday, so I was told that if I've got something that won't fit, but I won't be back in time, to come back early, drop it off, and then go back out to finish the duty.