ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Agree with your point Trolley :Applause ...If your manager became aware that he was paying someone overtime to complete what he's already payed another postie to do...it might make a difference in how (or if indeed he bothered) to deal with it.

Many PTers would love to be in the position to simply say, "The clocks running you've got four hours work out of me and then I'm off"! However in the real world most don't want the crappy PT contract they've been given and are often keen to work any available overtime..... even if it's just because the Management(?) can't organise bugger all! :d'oh!

Strange how there doesn't seem to be any extra hours available at the start of the week and then as the week progresses more and more overtime becomes available. Until on Saturday you could do two duties if you wanted! :whistle
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by Dorset Plodder »

POSTMAN wrote:It's all bollox,full timers are not doing what they are supposed to do when they are told to prep this or that,managers are letting them leave stuff say the D2D's,full timers are giving the i aint got time shite,part timers are coming in to s**t,reps don't give a f**k,colleagues don't give a f**k,the place is f****d,and while we slag off management,we need to look at our selves.

Solidarity my f***ing arse.
I finished early today though. :cuppa
Sounds like you had a bad evening Postman :Very Happy Can't say I disagree with a word you've said.... Remember though "There is no I in TEAM".....No but there's an E in Me...Me...Me... :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by POSTMAN »

The problem is all the newbies on dodgy rolling (I can get rid of you in a tick) part time contracts swallow a lot because of said rolling contracts.
Getting the full timers out seems to be the priority by all.

Did someone mention solidarity?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by fishtank »

POSTMAN wrote: Getting the full timers out seems to be the priority by all.
Park&loop will mostly change that.
No point in getting the full-timer out without his partner.
Our part-timers work full days anyway.
Solidarity still means f**k all though. :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Totally agree..but I can't see what the problem is. If you're a FT postie (which normally means you're on a permanent contract) then you're basically "Fire-Proof"! Play by their rules......stick to your contact...what's the problem? :hmmmm

Take it FT's "Getting out" means out on Delivery? And that makes sense, although the FTer can chill out with a bit of chit chat and a few coffees while he's waiting for his P&L buddy to catch up! :no no
Assumed your "Getting out" meant Redundancy! :d'oh! Although I believe that's still a priority for RM.

We do need our FT Posties to step up and help improve the job for everyone! A PTer on a temporary contract can't really be expected to stand up to the Management(?) bullshit and lies...not unless he's got another job lined up! :sad: Wish we had more people with a bit of moral backbone and some guts. God help us if we had to rely on some of our colleagues in a really desperate situation.......like our grandfather's had to in WW2. We'd be speaking German now if we did! :arrrghhh
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by Lazycarton »

I am a PTmer.I assumed that I had to prep ("throw off") my own D2D's. Is that not right?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by clashcityrocker »

Lazycarton wrote:I am a PTmer.I assumed that I had to prep ("throw off") my own D2D's. Is that not right?
It would depend on:
Your contracted hours on any given day.
The number of D2D contracts you have.
The number of delivery points on your delivery.
The traffic for your walk on any given day.
If you have time.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by Lazycarton »

I have never been given any guidance on D2Ds. The stuff is just left at your walk and I have done it as and when I can. My contracted hours are 8 - 2 5 days a week. The number of D2Ds is what they give you each week. between 4 and 9.

Why would the number of delvery points make any difference to whi is responsible for prepping them?

The traffic for your walk on any given day. What does that mean?

If you have time? That seems like a loafers charter to piss about?

Rob.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by clashcityrocker »

The traffic (the number of items) for your office is recorded each day.
Your manager will have a fair idea how many items your walk gets.
He therefore has a fair idea how long it will take to prep that duty.

Assuming you are still on a 3hr 30 delivery you have about 1 hr 30 indoor time.
If the duty had about 1500 items/day I think your D2D should be prepped for you.
If you have less mail you begin to have time to prep your D2D (assuming you don't have masses of redirections)

The time allocated for prepping D2D relates to the number of delivery points.
If you had 3 contracts and 500 delivery points it "should" take you about 10 minutes to prep the 16% D2D each day.
If you had 3 contracts and 1000 delivery points it would take 20 minutes each day.

The busier the walk is the less time you have to prep the D2D.
The more D2D contracts you have and the more delivery points you have, the longer they take to prep.

So if you had masses of mail and loads of redirections and lots of D2D contracts the longer it would all take.
This means you might require assistance to complete your delivery within your contracted hours.
Part of that assistance might be help with your D2D prep.

Some might call it a loafer's charter.
I call it a realistic workload.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by Lazycarton »

Thanks for that. There is still a lot of RM speak that I am not familiar with. What are "contracts" in the context of I have an 8am - 2pm contract?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Lazycarton wrote:Thanks for that. There is still a lot of RM speak that I am not familiar with. What are "contracts" in the context of I have an 8am - 2pm contract?
Thats a 30 hour contract

6hrs x 5 = 30 hours

Of course that can be Permanent, Temporary, Casual or Fixed Term
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Bazman
Posts: 60
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 21:15
Gender: Male

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by Bazman »

Due to a customer complaint in our area (Customer being someone that is having their D2D leaflets delivered by RM) that their advertisement was in the middle of a bunch of other D2D items, we are no longer allowed to collate D2D's inside each other in order to deliver them with the mail, which means that the only alternative now is to prep them into the frame alongside the mail.

It's a freaking nightmare.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by taurus88 »

Bazman wrote:Due to a customer complaint in our area (Customer being someone that is having their D2D leaflets delivered by RM) that their advertisement was in the middle of a bunch of other D2D items, we are no longer allowed to collate D2D's inside each other in order to deliver them with the mail, which means that the only alternative now is to prep them into the frame alongside the mail.

It's a freaking nightmare.
You can still put them together without putting them inside each other - it takes the same amount of time and saves the same amount of time, so long as you're intelligent enough to work it out. It's what I've always done rather than throw them in one at a time (and rather than put them inside one another). It's a bit fiddly at first, but once you get used to it, it achieves exactly the same as the other.
L8Hatter
Posts: 191
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 13:26
Gender: Male

Re: Prepping Unaddressed Mail (D2Ds)

Post by L8Hatter »

Lazycarton wrote:Thanks for that. There is still a lot of RM speak that I am not familiar with. What are "contracts" in the context of I have an 8am - 2pm contract?
6 hours means you prep your own D2Ds. It's what full-timers get for their own duty. The other two hours being spent on IPS/packets/prepping other rounds.

Wouldn't grumble about a six hour contract. Haven't been any at ours for ages. I was the last to join on a 25 hour contract two years ago. Fairly crap, but better than all the poor buggers who've joined since on 20 hours. 60% dropout rate at least