ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by OnAFlyer »

i love mail sort wrote:Guys at my office are in this week during their week off to do work a full 8 hour shift. they need to get a life :thumbdown
Whilst it's something I never have and never would do, I don't see why someone working a day/few days during a week off and getting paid for it should bother anyone. Maybe they'd rather have 5 days off and an extra 100 quid in their pocket than 7 days off and basic wage?

What I can't believe is people prepping D2D on a day off, I mean wtf are they thinking. We get paid about £10 a week after tax for them (£6 of our £20-odd is the old retained shift allowance that we got for life so i'm not counting that) so why on earth would you spend a day off prepping them? :neutral:
secluder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 40
Joined: 30 Aug 2009, 10:59
Gender: Male

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by secluder »

i love mail sort wrote:Guys at my office are in this week during their week off to do work a full 8 hour shift. they need to get a life :thumbdown
Are they coming in when on annual leave?

If so i am pretty positive this is against working practices and managers have got in 'serious' trouble for this in the past.

Can anyone confirm this please?
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by wannabeek »

There's a guy at one of the offices I cover who has all his boxes of D2D delivered by one of the drivers to his house every Saturday and he turns up with them all pre-prepped on the Monday morning. He probably spends a happy couple of hours in front of the telly every Sunday doing them. :crazy:
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by Stormproof »

secluder wrote:
i love mail sort wrote:Guys at my office are in this week during their week off to do work a full 8 hour shift. they need to get a life :thumbdown
Are they coming in when on annual leave?

If so i am pretty positive this is against working practices and managers have got in 'serious' trouble for this in the past.

Can anyone confirm this please?
They can't work during A/L but can during rest week/day off.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by Cedar_Room »

duplicate post
Last edited by Cedar_Room on 29 Mar 2012, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by Cedar_Room »

duplicate post
Last edited by Cedar_Room on 29 Mar 2012, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by Cedar_Room »

The docket addicts at our place regularly come into work to do o/t whilst on leave.

One fella,a few weeks back,was in on the Monday,Wednesday AND Saturday. :whistle

I'm talking full-timers here,not people on 20hr contracts.

They f***** love it. :crazy:
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by wannabeek »

I was recently asked if I wanted to come in and do a Saturday at the end of my holiday week - I'd already got back from a few days away on the Friday afternoon when they asked so I said yes, I didn't realise there was any reason not to do it. Oops.
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by Cedar_Room »

wannabeek wrote:I was recently asked if I wanted to come in and do a Saturday at the end of my holiday week - I'd already got back from a few days away on the Friday afternoon when they asked so I said yes, I didn't realise there was any reason not to do it. Oops.
Think you're allowed (by law?) to do one day.

Got to be honest,times are tough & if folk are a bit hard up after a break,i don't really see a problem with going into work to get a bit of extra dosh as a one off.

It's just when it's the same people over & over again that it becomes a bit sad.

(& no,i haven't ever done it).
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by krussel »

redneck wrote:My take home pay last week was £179.18 after stoppages.
I think thats fair enough if you are trying to survive on that amount each week.

However we have a full time grabber who reg works AL and in fact did so a couple of weeks back. I asked him why he was not spending time with his wire and daughter and he comes out with some cock and ball story about getting depressed at home on his own so he comes to work. He swore it was not about the money :hmmmm

Now roll forward a week later and his flashing his wage slip around the office as his earned £600 odd :no no :roll:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by fishtank »

krussel wrote: However we have a full time grabber who reg works AL and in fact did so a couple of weeks back.
I think that's the problem with docket.
It isn't normally those that need it most doing it.
It's the same old faces who have done it for so long they don't know how to stop. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by POSTMAN »

It's in the way forward,working during AL is a big no no.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by OnAFlyer »

One guy in my office works AL regularly. He had a week's holiday a few weeks ago, and because there was no OT available for him to come in and do he was walking around the office with a face like a wet weekend, moaning that he would be bored at home and would rather work. What he really meant was the thought of a basic weeks wage terrified him.

You know things are bad when people don't actually want to have any time off for fear of losing money.
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Re: Staff coming in on day to prep d2ds

Post by CharlesSpooner »

secluder wrote:
It's even more tragic when you consider d2d are a flat rate now.
D2D's aren't a flat rate - getting paid a Delivery Allowance has nothing to do with them. So it's even more tragic then that :crazy: