ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by Judgee »

DaveF14 wrote:
keithposty wrote:you will not be saying that when it gets noticed

you will have more put on the job or an extra 30 minutes on the ips

you running around is putting a false impression on the iwt and bsi and is stopping a part timer being made up to full time

shame on you

you are paid for 8 hours and the business expects 8 hours work, not doing 8 hours work load in 7

all jobs are now equal as such so their is no finishing early (job and knock no longer happens)

Job and knock still in use in my office. Royal mail have a set standard. They set out a duty that takes 8 hours but if I can get round in 7 or less I will do it. I am not cutting corners but I am working efficiently. (a word that a lot of people on here dont know). I understand if they turn round and say to me you have to work your 8 hours then I will slow right down. Or they can come out and test my round because I have nothing to hide. My customers get their mail early and correctly which I take pride in and a lot of my customers appreciate that.
:arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
DaveF14
Posts: 184
Joined: 18 Sep 2009, 17:38
Gender: Male

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by DaveF14 »

Judgee wrote:
DaveF14 wrote:
keithposty wrote:you will not be saying that when it gets noticed

you will have more put on the job or an extra 30 minutes on the ips

you running around is putting a false impression on the iwt and bsi and is stopping a part timer being made up to full time

shame on you

you are paid for 8 hours and the business expects 8 hours work, not doing 8 hours work load in 7

all jobs are now equal as such so their is no finishing early (job and knock no longer happens)

Job and knock still in use in my office. Royal mail have a set standard. They set out a duty that takes 8 hours but if I can get round in 7 or less I will do it. I am not cutting corners but I am working efficiently. (a word that a lot of people on here dont know). I understand if they turn round and say to me you have to work your 8 hours then I will slow right down. Or they can come out and test my round because I have nothing to hide. My customers get their mail early and correctly which I take pride in and a lot of my customers appreciate that.
:arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh

I know tell me about it. Quit the moaning and get on with your own job. Its like they are jealous they dont have the energy to run round themselves!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by POSTMAN »

:neutral:
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by fishtank »

DaveF14 wrote: Job and knock still in use in my office. Royal mail have a set standard. They set out a duty that takes 8 hours but if I can get round in 7 or less I will do it. I am not cutting corners but I am working efficiently. (a word that a lot of people on here dont know). I understand if they turn round and say to me you have to work your 8 hours then I will slow right down. Or they can come out and test my round because I have nothing to hide. My customers get their mail early and correctly which I take pride in and a lot of my customers appreciate that.
You don't get it Dave.
RM won't test your duty,why would they?....they will just use your finish time to justify savings and lump more work on your duty and you won't slow down because that's not the way you work,you'll just come in earlier and run faster until eventually you'll be too old and knackered to run...then it's game over.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Viewfindergeneral
Posts: 267
Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 12:05
Gender: Male

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by Viewfindergeneral »

fishtank wrote:
You don't get it Dave.
RM won't test your duty,why would they?....they will just use your finish time to justify savings and lump more work on your duty and you won't slow down because that's not the way you work,you'll just come in earlier and run faster until eventually you'll be too old and knackered to run...then it's game over.
This should be tattooed on the forehead of every runner in every office so they are reminded of what will happen to them if they don't slow down.
BernardBresslaw
Posts: 381
Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
Gender: Male

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by BernardBresslaw »

If people want to come in and run round, then good luck to them. I don't see the problem as people still only have to work their time anyway. They could put 2000 calls on a duty, but everyone knows their finish time so I don't see what difference it makes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by fishtank »

BernardBresslaw wrote:They could put 2000 calls on a duty, but everyone knows their finish time so I don't see what difference it makes.
If they put 2000 calls on a duty where do you think those calls come from?
The duty that was there but isn't any more.
That's what difference it makes.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by krussel »

BernardBresslaw wrote:If people want to come in and run round, then good luck to them. I don't see the problem as people still only have to work their time anyway. They could put 2000 calls on a duty, but everyone knows their finish time so I don't see what difference it makes.

Yeah i can see your point but there is a BUT :Very Happy

The runner has a rest week and some poor sod doing the job properly gets put on the duty but instead of finishing at midday he /she is still out there gone 2pm. Then they feel pressure from the management and from fellow posties who all say its easy. Ive had it happen to me and its actually quite soul crushing :sad:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by fishtank »

I really don't get the fascination with turning this job into an extreme sport.
It's all rather childish,stupid and self-defeating.
Even the thickest can work out if you're given x amount of work to do in y amount of hours doing it faster will only mean they need less people to do the work.
I could see the point if there was some financial incentive to increase productivity or even if there was a risk of losing your job because you're not running but Royal Mail have won a watch with these guys....they run for free. :left:
Who said you had to be smart to be a postman. :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Sliders
Posts: 184
Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 16:56
Gender: Male

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by Sliders »

When it was job and knock (pre revision) how did the managers know what time you finished ? I mean on Tuesdays when the mail is light, I would sometimes finish an hour early (depending on the turn I had), I did not run around, I went at a normal pace, taking no shortcutts. However, I did not go back to the DO with any packets or reggies to despatch, I simply took them to my local post office where I live. So again how would the managers know what time I finished, for all they know I worked to my time. Unless they were spying on me that is, which with the RM is possible :hmmmm

Saying that the way RM conduct themselves, they probably flag any duties that do not hit the docket on a given day as being very unusual. I can see the managers now, " :cuppa F*ckin hell he didn't claim any docket today !! :shock: , the round must be too easy :hmmmm lets add another 100 addresses :Very Happy " or something like that anyway.
BernardBresslaw
Posts: 381
Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
Gender: Male

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by BernardBresslaw »

fishtank wrote:
BernardBresslaw wrote:They could put 2000 calls on a duty, but everyone knows their finish time so I don't see what difference it makes.
If they put 2000 calls on a duty where do you think those calls come from?
The duty that was there but isn't any more.
That's what difference it makes.
If you keep cutting off each day the duty suddenly becomes an issue and is created. Work your hours under all circumstances. That is the only dogma you should be preaching.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by fishtank »

BernardBresslaw wrote:If you keep cutting off each day the duty suddenly becomes an issue and is created. Work your hours under all circumstances.
How does that work with.....?
BernardBresslaw wrote:If people want to come in and run round, then good luck to them. I don't see the problem
What exactly is the point in cutting off if you're going to run or more logically what's the point in running if you're going to cut off?
If working to an acceptable standard means that you cut off 1hr and running means that you only cut off 30mins again you are killing jobs.
If you are going to do the job properly that means all of it,start times,meal breaks,doing it by the book,using the correct equipment and working at an acceptable but comfortable pace.
Anything else just makes you look foolish.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by krussel »

fishtank wrote:If you are going to do the job properly that means all of it,start times,meal breaks,doing it by the book,using the correct equipment and working at an acceptable but comfortable pace.
Bang on :Applause

The stupid thing is once you get your head in the right place and start doing that you actually feel less stressed and tired at the end of the day.

The managers then have but 2 choices.

1. You cut off at the end of your time and they have to cover what you leave behind on OT
2. They offer you the OT and you work a little later (still doing the same amount of walking) and bank £30-50 at the end of the week.

Its hard to do at first but they soon learn who they can push and who they cant. If they challenge you then simply stand back and offer them to test the duty. If your playing fair and working at a steady pace you have nothing to fear by them doing so, and they WILL know this. :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
BernardBresslaw
Posts: 381
Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
Gender: Male

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by BernardBresslaw »

fishtank wrote:
BernardBresslaw wrote:If you keep cutting off each day the duty suddenly becomes an issue and is created. Work your hours under all circumstances.
How does that work with.....?
BernardBresslaw wrote:If people want to come in and run round, then good luck to them. I don't see the problem
What exactly is the point in cutting off if you're going to run or more logically what's the point in running if you're going to cut off?
If working to an acceptable standard means that you cut off 1hr and running means that you only cut off 30mins again you are killing jobs.
If you are going to do the job properly that means all of it,start times,meal breaks,doing it by the book,using the correct equipment and working at an acceptable but comfortable pace.
Anything else just makes you look foolish.
You misunderstand. I work at the pace I work at. I don't rush, but then I don't stand around chatting to people either. If I finish early then so be it, but I won't rush around to get done if I feel the workload is too substantial either. I just feel people get too hung up on what other people are doing. It's time to realise that we have all been shafted and there is nothing we can do about it, so its best to just concentrate on your own work or find other employment if you aren't happy.
Sliders
Posts: 184
Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 16:56
Gender: Male

Re: Only rural doing job how it's meant to be done

Post by Sliders »

krussel wrote:
fishtank wrote:If you are going to do the job properly that means all of it,start times,meal breaks,doing it by the book,using the correct equipment and working at an acceptable but comfortable pace.
Bang on :Applause

The stupid thing is once you get your head in the right place and start doing that you actually feel less stressed and tired at the end of the day.

The managers then have but 2 choices.

1. You cut off at the end of your time and they have to cover what you leave behind on OT
2. They offer you the OT and you work a little later (still doing the same amount of walking) and bank £30-50 at the end of the week.

Its hard to do at first but they soon learn who they can push and who they cant. If they challenge you then simply stand back and offer them to test the duty. If your playing fair and working at a steady pace you have nothing to fear by them doing so, and they WILL know this. :Very Happy
I have been cutting off since the revision began in my office, as I had been put on a silly round that was taking 5+ hours to complete. This week I have been put on a duty that has not had the revision yet, so I should be able to complete within time. So they obviously do take into account who they are putting on each duty. The thing is though, the person who they have put out on the 5+ hour round this week, will complete it, even though it would mean hitting the docket for two, three hours each day (one guy in my office did not finish until 8.30 pm !! last week on a HCT round FFS). So there will always be someone who will not cut off no matter how long the duty, and the mangers in my opinion are not that bothered about overtime, their priority is to get all the mail out and complete each duty every day.

So basically in my opinion finishing early may result in longer rounds being created, but the real problem is that as long as their are people who will go over by one, two, etc etc hours to complete those rounds then RM don't give a stuff, the duties post revision will never change to lengths that can be completed realistically within contracted time.