ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Van checks

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Van checks

Post by POSTMAN »

Of course you've time for van checks (a legal requirement btw),just like prepping D2D's,and IPS,and prepping the mail,and prepping someone else's mail,and meal breaks,and travelling time,and waiting 30mins for the driver to drop you out,and waiting 30 mins for a bag drop,and waiting for your partner on P&L for 10 mins or so to finish his/her loop.
Now delivering all of the stuff,that's a different matter.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
drb
Posts: 1044
Joined: 30 Jan 2007, 21:44
Gender: Male

Re: Van checks

Post by drb »

All vehicle checks have a sub header in the RCS. In the duty modelling tool and IWT these are built into the duty. It basically fills your duty time. If individuals are not doing this to "make time"...well there you are!
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Van checks

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Bahia Feliz wrote:Fuel-Under a 1/4 of a tank?
Report offender to manager.
"• Fuel level (ensure sufficient for duty)" is the requirement, and many duties take less than a quarter tank. :Very Happy
To save filling up more often than necessary I wait until the red fuel light comes on - that's unless the next day is my day off. :Very Happy
singingpostman
Posts: 148
Joined: 01 Oct 2007, 14:22

Re: Van checks

Post by singingpostman »

Guess at the end of the day, it's a case of what type of person you are, personally I would never leave my van with less than quarter of a tank of fuel, the same with my own car, others would much rather let someone else do it, (the nectar points add up over the year as well) , and yes when others have my van its not always left as clean as I'd like it, so I spend 5 mins cleaning out the sweet wrappers etc, otherwise it makes me as bad as them for not keeping it clean.
justdeno
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
Gender: Female

Re: Van checks

Post by justdeno »

I once was a day off cover, and one bloke never left me any fuel, so one day I put in as little amount of fuel( about £3.00) of my money, it was worth it! He never left the van empty again and never said anything to me :Very Happy :Very Happy
2pac
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Sep 2009, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: Van checks

Post by 2pac »

so you put £3 of your own money into a van, thats showing him lol. weve got a diesel pump in our yard its handy as, for geting into a van with fuel in red just splash n dash, just enough to do me and FUEL IN RED written n log book faults
Blue29
Posts: 223
Joined: 22 Jun 2011, 10:24
Gender: Male

Re: Van checks

Post by Blue29 »

The time built in to make checks makes sense to me, I just don't see how any improvements can be made when issues are found.

It's not at all unusual for the daily check to reveal suspect tyre pressure, light not working, disgustingly dirty cab and extremely dirty windows. Is the procedure to rectify this included in duty time? Any van at our place would need issues addressed if anyone of us correctly did the checks. There is simply no time given to be able to get the van to standard. Cutting off/OT would be required to fit any trip to the service centre.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Van checks

Post by fishtank »

Blue29 wrote: Cutting off/OT would be required to fit any trip to the service centre.
So be it.
I've refused to drive countless vans due to defects like dodgy tyres,brake lights,indicators and even if the van is a tip.
I won't drive an unroadworthy van and i won't sit in a pig sty all day either.
Management's problem. :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Blue29
Posts: 223
Joined: 22 Jun 2011, 10:24
Gender: Male

Re: Van checks

Post by Blue29 »

The van I will be in on monday will fail several checks. If i refuse to drive it there is no alternative transport. No spare vans. Cannot use boxes which is a long story. The pressure to go out in a substandard van is great. I'd expect to be pulled in for refusal to deliver.

Obviously, I'm in favour of covering myself by doing the checks. In our office, like many besides I'm sure, it is just too much of a risk to refuse. Whether that gets into the realm of bullying I don't know. I have refused four vans the same day once. :crazy: It was not a pleasant experience to say the least and left me with a reputation.
combo_king
Posts: 96
Joined: 06 Jan 2012, 22:40
Gender: Male

Re: Van checks

Post by combo_king »

if you dont think the van is up to standards knock it back, its your license taht gets the points n u who pays the fine, the idiots n mine will drive anything not me, 1 guy was driving his van with no tax for neerly 3 weeks, idiots the lot of them, managers r getting pretty bad with vans saw them trying to bully a young lad into taking a van with no wing mirror out, he stood his ground, we have on site mechanics for the vans biggest bunch of cowboys out there
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: Van checks

Post by maisymoo04 »

DGP1 wrote:
singingpostman wrote:I don,t take my own car out without doing basic checks, so why, when you are about to go out on a 5hr plus rural would you not do the basic checks to ensure a safe and comfortable journey ? how long does it to take 5 mins ?, rather do that than spend 3 hours waiting for a recovery truck to turn up. Sorry if this comes across as a "goody goddy " post, but the van is my working area for most of my day, so I like it to be clean the same as I would if it was an office area.
:chuckle :chuckle Used to keep the inside nice and clean.........got fed up with the collections taking it and filling it with rubbish.....I mean, who the f*** leaves an apple core sitting in the middle of the van and I mean that, they never fill in the log book :roll:

My van is legal and that's all that matters to me.
could be like my transit full ov maccy bags and chippy paper mmmm but there mine :nervous
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
tragictramp
Posts: 381
Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 18:02
Gender: Male

Re: Van checks

Post by tragictramp »

started my own new duty today, and was given the van allocated to it, it is a total disgrace, dirt,dust and litter everywhere and to top it off lashings of mould over the centre console where the drinks holder/handbrake area are. Then to top it off on my way out on delivery the tracking it totally shagged, pulls harshly left so that its quite difficult to take a right. When i returned from delivery i complained to the managers who said it wasn't worth complaining about, I insisted that its unsafe to drive with the tracking as it is, and that i should in no way be expected to drive in a van with mould everywhere. After fannying about they let me fill in some form for the van to go into the workshop, but said i am responsible for cleaning the van, i said they will have to give me at least 30 mins to do this within work time as its in such a state, he mumbled a bit, so lets wait and see.
I only became a driver last week to enable me to get my own round and their already trying to break their own rules they told me to follow.
Image
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Van checks

Post by POSTMAN »

Blimey that is bad!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Van checks

Post by Stormproof »

Thought I'd post this one again, I dread to think what some of these peoples houses are like!
Image
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: Van checks

Post by maisymoo04 »

cud be worse mine went in for a service and guess what was there(word of no lie) a y reg sherpa with a slidin door still runnin with jelly suspension.haha no thanks my word was no power steerin i remember drivin one when i started and tell you what ye arms were fooked after u finished so heavy :dance
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"