ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

DDA ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: DDA ?

Post by fishtank »

rod147 wrote: Unfortunately on here I seem to be in minority....I love my job....it's nowhere near as easy as it used to be but i still love it
I think you'll find that you are not in the minority.
A lot of members on here love the job,most of them still like it,some of them tolerate it and a few hate it.
The difference is most of them don't think that how they feel about the job should blind them to it's failings or loyalty to the company should mean that any problems should be covered up...or any criticism silenced.
The only improvements in our terms and conditions have come from making a noise and complaining about problems,not standing smiling for a Courier centerfold.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
easter bunny
Posts: 378
Joined: 01 Jul 2007, 20:08

Re: DDA ?

Post by easter bunny »

rod147 wrote:so true blue....if you're a builder and you injure yourself so you can't do the job do they find you a job in the office?
what if they haven't got one?
Easterbunny....in reply to you....I am 49 years old with 22 years in with Royal Mail so therefore that gives me as much right as any to have an opinion.
Unfortunately on here I seem to be in minority....I love my job....it's nowhere near as easy as it used to be but i still love it

I am a 22 year old man and proud...

That's what you posted earlier..
music4essex
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 16:18
Gender: Female

Re: DDA ?

Post by music4essex »

I am going through the same process under DDA I have all the paperwork a lot from here, I don't think my manager has even read it properly or even understand it.

But if management can get out of it they will use any method they can to try and get that person out,
and using Atos as a smoke screen.

I have had 4 different delivery duties made up on reasonable adjustments in the last few weeks and he still wealds the geo route stick that it should be completd in x amount of time :arrrghhh .

He even said today that instead of using my LWT that i should resort back to my cycle because it is quicker :whistle don't know what he is going to do when revision comes in and we have to use LWT, even area rep said HCT are on the way out :d'oh!

I basically said you need to let me out earlier if you want me to complete the round did not go down well. still 3 more days left then got a whole shift week off .

My dim wants me to go back for another atos report it must be costing RM a fortune would have been far cheaper to just do the delivery in a reasonable time. :hmmmm

Essex mum :wave
NumptyBumpty
Posts: 132
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 16:41
Gender: Female

Re: DDA ?

Post by NumptyBumpty »

rod147 wrote:so true blue....if you're a builder and you injure yourself so you can't do the job do they find you a job in the office?
what if they haven't got one?
Like TBT said, it wouldn't be a reasonable adjustment. However, Royal Mail is one of the largest employers in the UK, has massive resources and a wide range of roles within the business, so it would be unlikely that it wouldn't be able accommodate some reasonable adjustment. What is deemed reasonable for a company the size of Royal Mail and a small local builder would be vastly different.
rod147
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Oct 2007, 19:22

Re: DDA ?

Post by rod147 »

easter bunny....I said 22 year man...not old
Listen we all have our views and i respect everyones. I'm also aware an office in our sector is going through a revision for park and loop and all of a sudden people are coming up with DDA related excuses.There will not be enough positions for these people to have adjusted duties as these are ringfenced and filled with other previous DDA people. There is no option but to use ATOS at the moment and in my opinion people will be talking themselves out of a job
easter bunny
Posts: 378
Joined: 01 Jul 2007, 20:08

Re: DDA ?

Post by easter bunny »

rod147 wrote:easter bunny....I said 22 year man...not old
Listen we all have our views and i respect everyones. I'm also aware an office in our sector is going through a revision for park and loop and all of a sudden people are coming up with DDA related excuses.There will not be enough positions for these people to have adjusted duties as these are ringfenced and filled with other previous DDA people. There is no option but to use ATOS at the moment and in my opinion people will be talking themselves out of a job

DDA related ' excuses' ..

' These people '...


The both comments are totally inexcusable .

Have you ever been on a diversity course ?

I seriously doubt it .


Your comments are awful. If it were me running the site, I would ban you for them...

You mention ' respect' ... That word seems very hollow if that is the attitude towards Colleagues who are less fortunate than you.
rod147
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Oct 2007, 19:22

Re: DDA ?

Post by rod147 »

"Many colleagues on here have given more service to the RM than you have been born sonny . So a little more respect from your good self is in order ."


Easterbunny....not only is that inaccurate it is extremely disrepectful and unwarranted.. but i won't be so petty to suggest a ban!!!
Have YOU been on a diversity course? For your information I HAVE.
When you talk about diversity check the majority of the topics discussed on here and tell me there are not contentious issues being debated. If diversity came into it there would be no topics. We are not in the workplace on here. What I'm saying is my opinion and I'm entitled to it as you are to yours. I have lots of work colleagues who i have worked with for many years who i have the utmost respect for and i also have colleagues i wouldn't give the time of day for.
Just noticed the smilies on the right hand side of my laptop....i suggest you look at them and explain the 3 pictures of individuals with the fist going into the side of their head with the words f**k off seemingly written in blood.
That is what this site is about...not a diversity lesson.
easter bunny
Posts: 378
Joined: 01 Jul 2007, 20:08

Re: DDA ?

Post by easter bunny »

rod147 wrote:"Many colleagues on here have given more service to the RM than you have been born sonny . So a little more respect from your good self is in order ."


Easterbunny....not only is that inaccurate it is extremely disrepectful and unwarranted.. but i won't be so petty to suggest a ban!!!
Have YOU been on a diversity course? For your information I HAVE.
When you talk about diversity check the majority of the topics discussed on here and tell me there are not contentious issues being debated. If diversity came into it there would be no topics. We are not in the workplace on here. What I'm saying is my opinion and I'm entitled to it as you are to yours. I have lots of work colleagues who i have worked with for many years who i have the utmost respect for and i also have colleagues i wouldn't give the time of day for.
Just noticed the smilies on the right hand side of my laptop....i suggest you look at them and explain the 3 pictures of individuals with the fist going into the side of their head with the words f**k off seemingly written in blood.
That is what this site is about...not a diversity lesson.

You obviously haven't read thoroughly the posts on this thread which described the DDA/ Equality Act.

You are totally prejudice in your opinion . Thankfully, they don't appear on this site often. Colleagues with a disability who are covered under the Act ( which is backed up Medically ) are not making ' excuses' .

A disability is not an excuse.

Someone who is disabled or has a disability makes them no different to you or me - So to refer them as ' these people ' is totally wrong . It something which used to be said many years ago about black people. I'm not saying for a moment you are racist.

However judging on your comments on here, you are prejudice and totally unsympathetic . if you made those remarks in work , you would certainly face a grievance charge , which is a sackable offence.

Try a little compassion in future- One day the boot may be on the other foot....
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: DDA ?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

This is a difficult one to moderate to be honest and I hope both sides of this discussion understand that.

There has been a poor choice of words on both sides but in neither case do I think it contained any malice or attempts to belittle anyone. I therefore don't think it warrants either a ban or a formal board warning.

However just a quick reminder for members to try and understand how their positions can be easily misread if they don't review their posts before they press the submit button.

As to the 3 smilies they have been discussed to death on here and most people take them for the comic value they were meant for, and also in some cases to portray frustration or anger and something the concerned person has done.

If anyone wants they can post similar smilies as has indeed been done in the past when a member posted a similar one with Billy Hayes pictured. There is no political bias as members from before the last election will remember we had leading figures of Royal Mail and the Labour party ones as well. The people chosen are active in privatising Royal Mail and the changes to working conditions and that's why those ones are used - nothing sinister in it and it does not condone violence in any way. If such an animation is taken to condone violence then I hope the people who believe that are also active in protesting against violence on TV and Films, where its more graphic and certainly very pervasive.
Last edited by TrueBlueTerrier on 01 Mar 2012, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed the wording
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
wookie
Posts: 319
Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
Gender: Male

Re: DDA ?

Post by wookie »

Our P&L revision is being finalised so I expect it to come in in the near future. We have 2 people covered under DDA, right now they are doing a normal duty with absorbtion. Now the problem that I can see is that 2 duties have been set aside for when the revision comes in but yet they are working normally right now. I know there is no way you cannot always know everything regarding someones own case, but this is where the bitterness starts,(4 years under DDA picks before someone with 20+ years sevice for example). People in my office are not happy that this rule, for lack of knowledge, has come out of the blue. And I really do believe that this is going to fester. I can see both sides of the arguement, but what is really to stop someone abusing this system. I have asthma, maybe i'll stop taking my medication for a few days, go and see the Doctor, get a letter, be referred etc..... Is this really the way forward?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: DDA ?

Post by fishtank »

wookie wrote:but what is really to stop someone abusing this system. I have asthma, maybe i'll stop taking my medication for a few days, go and see the Doctor, get a letter, be referred etc..... Is this really the way forward?
It doesn't really matter whether people think it's right or wrong,it's a legal obligation to make reasonable adjustments to protect a disabled persons right to work.
That isn't a bad thing is it?
To be honest what terrible thing are you asking members to put up with?,there are two less duties in a repick?
That something like this would bother members that much that they would feel the need to be bitter and resentful doesn't say much for our membership.
Fighting this is very dangerous from the membership's point of view because the only other solution that would continue to fulfil Royal Mail's legal obligation would be to dismantle the seniority system altogether and have management decide all of the duties.
Be careful what you wish for..... :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: DDA ?

Post by clashcityrocker »

wookie wrote: I have asthma, maybe i'll stop taking my medication for a few days, go and see the Doctor, get a letter, be referred etc..... Is this really the way forward?
If you are asthmatic you are already covered by disability legislation.
Any absences incurred as a result of your condition should not be used in the attendance procedure.
The medication controls your condition and allows you to function normally as a postman.
Your disability doesn't require a delivery to be tailored to your needs.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: DDA ?

Post by REDLETTER »

but this is where the bitterness starts,(4 years under DDA picks before someone with 20+ years sevice for example). People in my office are not happy that this rule, for lack of knowledge, has come out of the blue. And I really do believe that this is going to fester. I can see both sides of the arguement, but what is really to stop someone abusing this system.
And I thought ALL duties were equal, so it would only be a concern if a senior person wanted a nice suburb walk rather that a council estate (nothing wrong with them, I use to do them!) or a driving duty.

Management should make all staff aware of the law of the Equality Act, not hear say about individuals covered under law.

As has been said, if it was you who was covered under this law, would you not take the benefit. Who would say "It's alright mate, you take the walk you want, whilst I struggle to finish a duty because of a disability I have."
wookie
Posts: 319
Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
Gender: Male

Re: DDA ?

Post by wookie »

clashcityrocker wrote: Your disability doesn't require a delivery to be tailored to your needs.
I am not after a specific duty tailored for my needs, and i really don't think I gave that impression.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: DDA ?

Post by clashcityrocker »

wookie wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote: Your disability doesn't require a delivery to be tailored to your needs.
I am not after a specific duty tailored for my needs, and i really don't think I gave that impression.
I wasn't suggesting you were.
But some people's disability does require that.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.