ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

the demise of seniority

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by arnold cheshire »

hans solo wrote:rm used to pay you to learn and pass driving tests
thats news to me and i started in 1989
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by dvbuk55 »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
hans solo wrote:rm used to pay you to learn and pass driving tests
thats news to me and i started in 1989
True though two of our staff were trained by RM and that would have been after 1989 - one of them is now a prison officer, the other has his own business as some sort of media provider. So pass the test and all things are possible................

As an aside one of our drivers recently had a bump in the yard, so pretty minor and not at speed and had to take an internal driving test by the AA, which he allegedly failed and was told to retake it - an apparently 4 hour ordeal........................has anyone else any experience of these measures?
non-driver7
Posts: 37
Joined: 20 Feb 2012, 11:04
Gender: Male

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by non-driver7 »

I have decided I will pass my test with the bonus I get and then leave royal mail for a job or career that I want to do
Cut Off King
Posts: 1078
Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 21:18
Gender: Female

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by Cut Off King »

As has been said on this forum, there are winners & losers
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by Lounge Lizard »

non-driver7 wrote:I have decided I will pass my test with the bonus I get and then leave royal mail for a job or career that I want to do
Indeed, there's no end of opportunities once you've got a driving licence, pizza delivery, taxi driving, the list is endless ....... :nana :nana
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by maisymoo04 »

dvbuk55 wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:
hans solo wrote:rm used to pay you to learn and pass driving tests
thats news to me and i started in 1989
True though two of our staff were trained by RM and that would have been after 1989 - one of them is now a prison officer, the other has his own business as some sort of media provider. So pass the test and all things are possible................

As an aside one of our drivers recently had a bump in the yard, so pretty minor and not at speed and had to take an internal driving test by the AA, which he allegedly failed and was told to retake it - an apparently 4 hour ordeal........................has anyone else any experience of these measures?
alright dv hows u matey :wave
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by dvbuk55 »

maisymoo04 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:
hans solo wrote:rm used to pay you to learn and pass driving tests
thats news to me and i started in 1989
True though two of our staff were trained by RM and that would have been after 1989 - one of them is now a prison officer, the other has his own business as some sort of media provider. So pass the test and all things are possible................

As an aside one of our drivers recently had a bump in the yard, so pretty minor and not at speed and had to take an internal driving test by the AA, which he allegedly failed and was told to retake it - an apparently 4 hour ordeal........................has anyone else any experience of these measures?
alright dv hows u matey :wave
I'm like a greek god maisy..............ancient and bits falling off but still going. And hows the world with you? :wave
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by maisymoo04 »

hahaha :dance :dance 1 year in with methods and i can say i love it :nana :nana :whistle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by dvbuk55 »

maisymoo04 wrote:hahaha :dance :dance 1 year in with methods and i can say i love it :nana :nana :whistle
In fairness it's been a good thing for some, they take the easy role whilst the partner sees to the vehicle, parcels, returns etc. On a walk I can only see advantages to the use of HCT. We'll have to wait and see what privatisation brings :neutral:
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by BELIAL »

So does seniority still apply ? or does the bullies charter rule the day?
When major change hits a DO with an even FT/PT split how are walks allocated?
Are walks meant to be chosen on a seniority basis and duties constructed to fit , or are walks matched to duties prior to a resign and designated as either PT or FT ?
If the latter then seniority takes a hammering if the majority of PTers are recent entrants - you could be left with PTers with two years service taking duties while FTers with ten years in ending up as reserves.
Bye
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by bigcol »

In our office the 39 and 32 hour duties were on separate lists. A lot of FTs are spare whilst the majority of 32 PTs got their own walk/2 walk float. Of course, nearly all the FTs are more senior than the PTs. The 20 PTs get what ever crap is left over.

I believe our office is roughly 50/50 FT/PT.
R@YAL F@IL
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by R@YAL F@IL »

Himaggen wrote:
non-driver7 wrote:But as I cannot drive I am not getting what I deserve.
I beg to differ, your inability to drive gives you exactly what you deserve, a non driving selection set.

To start griping about seniority is frankly laughable, I don't care if you have thirty years seniority with the last seven in delivery, seniority only works when across the board when tied to experience.
Everyone with five years in delivery is no less experienced than the next, (they know no less than another about that particular skill), unless they have worked to a lesser skill set. That person unfortunately is you, someone with lesser seniority but sufficient delivery experience behind them who can also drive is technically more experienced, even deserving!
I have the experience of an extra weeks holiday for a start :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana
NO bags on shoulders please except for Moya who keeps her big fat wage packet in hers
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by Himaggen »

R@YAL F@IL wrote:I have the experience of an extra weeks holiday for a start :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana
That may be so but the less 'senior' person
doesn't need the extra week due to the lack of energy they expended whilst sat in the van!
secluder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 40
Joined: 30 Aug 2009, 10:59
Gender: Male

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by secluder »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
non-driver7 wrote:I have decided I will pass my test with the bonus I get and then leave royal mail for a job or career that I want to do
Indeed, there's no end of opportunities once you've got a driving licence, pizza delivery, taxi driving, the list is endless ....... :nana :nana
So all better than working for Royal Donkey, in other words...The list 'is' actually endless and most jobs don't entail half the amount of stress being a RM driver does.

Good luck non-driver7.
R@YAL F@IL
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: the demise of seniority

Post by R@YAL F@IL »

Himaggen wrote:
R@YAL F@IL wrote:I have the experience of an extra weeks holiday for a start :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana
That may be so but the less 'senior' person
doesn't need the extra week due to the lack of energy they expended whilst sat in the van!
I sit in a van as well :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana
NO bags on shoulders please except for Moya who keeps her big fat wage packet in hers