I thought it was 'illegal' to work your annual leave.happymackem wrote:why would you work when your on your holidays ????????justdeno wrote:We do not take our vans home, but when it suits them eg they needed me to work when I was on hols, and my car was in the garage, 30 mile round trip, got my days back though, which worked better for me![]()
no wonder ths job is f@@@@d
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Taking your van home?
-
Pat Ostman
- Posts: 2797
- Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.
Re: Taking your van home?
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
-
mazza111
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 877
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 16:30
- Gender: Female
Re: Taking your van home?
Yeah and there's ones who do it all the time. I done it once when I wasn't going away, he was short staffed, I just booked a different week, mutual agreement. As long as you're getting the days back, then you're still getting your holiday. I think when your on annual leave, and getting paid extra for being in, doing away with the annual leave is when it causes problems.
-
wookie
- Posts: 319
- Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Taking your van home?
Is it illegal to work your annual leave? It has happened many times in my office, one person does it on a regular basis. Personally I think it is wrong.Pat Ostman wrote:I thought it was 'illegal' to work your annual leave.happymackem wrote:why would you work when your on your holidays ????????justdeno wrote:We do not take our vans home, but when it suits them eg they needed me to work when I was on hols, and my car was in the garage, 30 mile round trip, got my days back though, which worked better for me![]()
no wonder ths job is f@@@@d
-
justdeno
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
- Gender: Female
Re: Taking your van home?
I would not usually help RM, but they had to do this on my terms, which I already said it worked better for me, as I needed the days the next week. I would not say this should be done but if they do you want
then let them, you have them in the palm of your hand
Plus it saved me money getting to work for a while 
-
happymackem
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 304
- Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 19:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: in the land of the mackems
Re: Taking your van home?
but why help them out of THIERE mess any one who does this is a mug big time.they are the enemy and if they are short staffed TOUGHjustdeno wrote:I would not usually help RM, but they had to do this on my terms, which I already said it worked better for me, as I needed the days the next week. I would not say this should be done but if they do you wantthen let them, you have them in the palm of your hand
Plus it saved me money getting to work for a while
-
Fluke
- Posts: 506
- Joined: 27 Mar 2007, 17:48
Re: Taking your van home?
Are there any tax implications similar to those seen when you are given a company car, when using a Royal Mail van as private transport?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Taking your van home?
Yes - but as you are not allowed to use it for Private matters the point is moot, and there would be a legal implication if you did drive it for personal use other than commuting.Fluke wrote:Are there any tax implications similar to those seen when you are given a company car, when using a Royal Mail van as private transport?
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cars/employee-guidance.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Broxi51
- Posts: 1154
- Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 19:04
- Location: Scotland
Re: Taking your van home?
If you click on the above link, then click on guidance for employees, then employee fact sheet.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes - but as you are not allowed to use it for Private matters the point is moot, and there would be a legal implication if you did drive it for personal use other than commuting.Fluke wrote:Are there any tax implications similar to those seen when you are given a company car, when using a Royal Mail van as private transport?
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cars/employee-guidance.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the top of the page it states the following;
Tax on company cars
You pay tax on a company car if it is available for private
use by you, your family or household (private use
includes commuting).
Does commuting not apply?
The time has come to stop turning the other cheek, time to stop shaking our heads in bitter dismay, time to stop mumbling our angry words.
The time has come for union.
The time has come for union.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Taking your van home?
No because IIRC the "keeping van at home" agreements includes doing vehicle checks before you leave, and counts this as working - therefore I think, (and I may be wrong so if you are doing it double check) you are merely travelling from 1 work location to another.Broxi51 wrote:If you click on the above link, then click on guidance for employees, then employee fact sheet.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes - but as you are not allowed to use it for Private matters the point is moot, and there would be a legal implication if you did drive it for personal use other than commuting.Fluke wrote:Are there any tax implications similar to those seen when you are given a company car, when using a Royal Mail van as private transport?
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cars/employee-guidance.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the top of the page it states the following;
Tax on company cars
You pay tax on a company car if it is available for private
use by you, your family or household (private use
includes commuting).
Does commuting not apply?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Fluke
- Posts: 506
- Joined: 27 Mar 2007, 17:48
Re: Taking your van home?
But, below that the agreement states -TrueBlueTerrier wrote:No because IIRC the "keeping van at home" agreements includes doing vehicle checks before you leave, and counts this as working - therefore I think, (and I may be wrong so if you are doing it double check) you are merely travelling from 1 work location to another.Broxi51 wrote:If you click on the above link, then click on guidance for employees, then employee fact sheet.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes - but as you are not allowed to use it for Private matters the point is moot, and there would be a legal implication if you did drive it for personal use other than commuting.Fluke wrote:Are there any tax implications similar to those seen when you are given a company car, when using a Royal Mail van as private transport?
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cars/employee-guidance.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the top of the page it states the following;
Tax on company cars
You pay tax on a company car if it is available for private
use by you, your family or household (private use
includes commuting).
Does commuting not apply?
1. I agree not to use the vehicle or powered equipment for any personal or private use whatsoever
2. I agree that I will perform a vehicle check at homes before first usage each day and that this will form part of my duties. I understand that this check should take approximately six minutes and that I will be credited with this time during my normal shift duties either by starting such duties six minutes late or where this is not possible by taking a break of six minutes at another appropriate time during my shift.
3. I agree that when I am traveling between the office and home I am not on duty
So if your not on duty, you must be in your own time, therefore using the vehicle for private use, i.e as a form of private transport to and from work? The agreement (23 pages long
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Taking your van home?
Contradictions perhaps, but '2' and '3' above make it clear that you are rightly credited with the time for the vehicle checxk but not for travelling between home and work.Fluke wrote:But, below that the agreement states -TrueBlueTerrier wrote:No because IIRC the "keeping van at home" agreements includes doing vehicle checks before you leave, and counts this as working - therefore I think, (and I may be wrong so if you are doing it double check) you are merely travelling from 1 work location to another.Broxi51 wrote:If you click on the above link, then click on guidance for employees, then employee fact sheet.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes - but as you are not allowed to use it for Private matters the point is moot, and there would be a legal implication if you did drive it for personal use other than commuting.Fluke wrote:Are there any tax implications similar to those seen when you are given a company car, when using a Royal Mail van as private transport?
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cars/employee-guidance.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the top of the page it states the following;
Tax on company cars
You pay tax on a company car if it is available for private
use by you, your family or household (private use
includes commuting).
Does commuting not apply?
1. I agree not to use the vehicle or powered equipment for any personal or private use whatsoever
2. I agree that I will perform a vehicle check at homes before first usage each day and that this will form part of my duties. I understand that this check should take approximately six minutes and that I will be credited with this time during my normal shift duties either by starting such duties six minutes late or where this is not possible by taking a break of six minutes at another appropriate time during my shift.
3. I agree that when I am traveling between the office and home I am not on duty
So if your not on duty, you must be in your own time, therefore using the vehicle for private use, i.e as a form of private transport to and from work? The agreement (23 pages long) contradicts itself in a number of places.
Not being 'on duty' when travelling 'between the office and home' does surely though NOT mean that this is personal or private use, it being use for the purpose of work.
Personal or private use surely means driving to the pub, shops or relatives.
-
Fluke
- Posts: 506
- Joined: 27 Mar 2007, 17:48
Re: Taking your van home?
You are only on duty for the purpose of carrying out the checks, the fact that they have added after that statement, another statement that tells you that you are not then on duty whilst driving into work, indicates that you are in your own time and therefore using the vehicle for commuting purposes, and as mentioned earlier by another, that covered off with.-
Tax on company cars
You pay tax on a company car if it is available for private
use by you, your family or household (private use
includes commuting).
If you are not driving in duty time and not being paid for it, then surely you are driving for private reasons and not for commercial or work related reasons?
RM seem to be getting it all ways, later in the agreement it says that you cannot pick up another passenger even if it is another postman without being granted permission to do so. I'd be interested to see in the event of an accident claim how it all pans out, because it says you are not considered to be on duty? It would certainly be an interesting test case if a third party were to put a claim in, especially if it was due to any mechanical failure.
We have members in my office who are allowed to use their post office bike to travel to and from work and we have had a few accidents during icy weather. During the accident investigation RM do not discount the accident when looking at the attendance procedure and say that the staff are not covered as they were not on duty, any accident is down to them, despite the fact that they are on an RM bike. I should imagine they will try and apply the same rules if an accident occurs when using an RM van.
Tax on company cars
You pay tax on a company car if it is available for private
use by you, your family or household (private use
includes commuting).
If you are not driving in duty time and not being paid for it, then surely you are driving for private reasons and not for commercial or work related reasons?
RM seem to be getting it all ways, later in the agreement it says that you cannot pick up another passenger even if it is another postman without being granted permission to do so. I'd be interested to see in the event of an accident claim how it all pans out, because it says you are not considered to be on duty? It would certainly be an interesting test case if a third party were to put a claim in, especially if it was due to any mechanical failure.
We have members in my office who are allowed to use their post office bike to travel to and from work and we have had a few accidents during icy weather. During the accident investigation RM do not discount the accident when looking at the attendance procedure and say that the staff are not covered as they were not on duty, any accident is down to them, despite the fact that they are on an RM bike. I should imagine they will try and apply the same rules if an accident occurs when using an RM van.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Taking your van home?
"RM seem to be getting it all ways" - Yes, indeed, but we wouldn't expect otherwise.Fluke wrote:You are only on duty for the purpose of carrying out the checks, the fact that they have added after that statement, another statement that tells you that you are not then on duty whilst driving into work, indicates that you are in your own time and therefore using the vehicle for commuting purposes, and as mentioned earlier by another, that covered off with.-
Tax on company cars
You pay tax on a company car if it is available for private
use by you, your family or household (private use
includes commuting).
If you are not driving in duty time and not being paid for it, then surely you are driving for private reasons and not for commercial or work related reasons?
RM seem to be getting it all ways, later in the agreement it says that you cannot pick up another passenger even if it is another postman without being granted permission to do so. I'd be interested to see in the event of an accident claim how it all pans out, because it says you are not considered to be on duty? It would certainly be an interesting test case if a third party were to put a claim in, especially if it was due to any mechanical failure.![]()
We have members in my office who are allowed to use their post office bike to travel to and from work and we have had a few accidents during icy weather. During the accident investigation RM do not discount the accident when looking at the attendance procedure and say that the staff are not covered as they were not on duty, any accident is down to them, despite the fact that they are on an RM bike. I should imagine they will try and apply the same rules if an accident occurs when using an RM van.
There are two issues involved, insurance and income tax.
I understand that, having signed the appropriate agreement, you are covered by Royal Mail's insurance using the van between home and delivery office. If that is not so then problems would surely have arisen before now, or a test case soon will otherwise resolve the situation.
Regarding paying tax as if the van was a company car, that's something we don't do, and it shall continue that way unless HMRC decides otherwise.
Overall though, all other things being equal, surely it's best for as many of us as possible to take vans home as that frees up the most parking spaces for those who choose to drive their private car to and from work.
So surely then it's up to each individual to decide - if it suits you to take the van home do, if it doesn't don't.
-
Fluke
- Posts: 506
- Joined: 27 Mar 2007, 17:48
Re: Taking your van home?
It wont free up anymore spaces, as you still need to have a parking bay for the van when you come in.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Taking your van home?
Surely not.Fluke wrote:It wont free up anymore spaces, as you still need to have a parking bay for the van when you come in.
Currently, drive to work in your car, both car and van need parking spaces for the couple of hours while you're sorting.
Take van home, leave car at home, and only the van needs a parking space for the couple of hours while you're sorting.
Parking spaces reduced.
Or have I got it wrong ?