ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Did you know....?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: Did you know....?

Post by REDLETTER »

How many Managers are women?
NumptyBumpty
Posts: 132
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 16:41
Gender: Female

Re: Did you know....?

Post by NumptyBumpty »

fishtank wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote: And the summer holidays?
If you were serious about it you could easily find a solution to issues like this.
One solution might be banking days just like the wallington system to use during school holidays.
It needs a progressive,21st century employer...so it would be doomed from the start.
We already have plenty of people on term time only contracts so we are already doing it. In admin roles it's probably 50%, there are a lot of teams in HR which are more than 50%.

18% doesn't really mean anything though, how does that compare to similar physical jobs. If you compared it to the building trade then I'm sure it would be quite favourable. Compare it to midwifery it would not.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Did you know....?

Post by Stormproof »

There are 8 of us(FT) in a DO with 140+. We've just had a few part timers start on 3 month contracts, so another 4 more now.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Did you know....?

Post by fishtank »

NumptyBumpty wrote: Lies, damn lies and statistics.
I don't think in this case that's valid.
It's not a statistic that has been spun or tweaked or otherwise corrupted.
It's a fact....82% of our workforce are men,18% are women.
I simply asked why.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
foodforthought
Posts: 48
Joined: 29 Jun 2011, 20:37
Gender: Male

Re: Did you know....?

Post by foodforthought »

because they've got sense that's why it's low
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Did you know....?

Post by TeeferTiger »

You've also got to think that not many women like the idea of trotting around the streets on their own. There are some areas I certainly didn't feel safe, but didn't feel I could say anything to the DOM because it was clearly safe enough for a guy to deliver there so why not a woman? However, I think the male posties probably handle strange blokes staring at them a little better than I do... That's if the strange blokes do stare at the male posties, I dunno! You've also got this "you could get mugged at any moment" paranoia drummed into you which doesn't help.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Did you know....?

Post by clashcityrocker »

TeeferTiger wrote:You've also got to think that not many women like the idea of trotting around the streets on their own..
But with Park and Loop they wouldn't be on their own.
And they could go to the loo together......
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
NumptyBumpty
Posts: 132
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 16:41
Gender: Female

Re: Did you know....?

Post by NumptyBumpty »

TeeferTiger wrote:I think the male posties probably handle strange blokes staring at them a little better than I do.
In my office those strange blokes are called colleagues :angel
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Did you know....?

Post by TeeferTiger »

clashcityrocker wrote:
TeeferTiger wrote:You've also got to think that not many women like the idea of trotting around the streets on their own..
But with Park and Loop they wouldn't be on their own.
And they could go to the loo together......
Not alone now maybe, and there were no toilets on the rounds I did!! lol Actually, that's a lie, there was a pub which was the designated listed toilet on my walk, but it was shut at that time of the morning :crazy: It didn't open until I was right at the other end of my walk and nearly finished. When the reserves covered my walk, they used to do it slightly differently so they'd get to the chippy after it opened and get free chips, the gits lol

Oh, and there was an outside toilet in someone's garden I could use on another walk I covered a few years later... but I was told there was never any toilet roll in it apparently, so I never bothered even attempting that one.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Did you know....?

Post by fishtank »

TeeferTiger wrote:there was a pub which was the designated listed toilet on my walk,
My local has been designated a toilet by most of the regulars.
It's a bit rough...even by our relatively low standards.
On my delivery i have two pubs,three bookies,5 or 6 cafes,a library,a sports centre and a....public toilet although i would have to be desperate to use that at 20p for a....p. :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Did you know....?

Post by TeeferTiger »

fishtank wrote:
TeeferTiger wrote:there was a pub which was the designated listed toilet on my walk,
My local has been designated a toilet by most of the regulars.
It's a bit rough...even by our relatively low standards.
On my delivery i have two pubs,three bookies,5 or 6 cafes,a library,a sports centre and a....public toilet although i would have to be desperate to use that at 20p for a....p. :chuckle
They don't let you use it for free?! That's one good thing about wearing the SJA uniform when on public duty, you get in places for free, including the 20p toilets :nana
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: Did you know....?

Post by not me »

DGP1 wrote:Because it's a hard physical job and getting harder, would like to see how the numbers have changed since all the revisions started.

in 8 years we have gone from about 9 women in 75 staff
to 3 in 120 staff (amalgamate office)
one is DDA on a lighter duty,one works indoors,other is a grafter
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Did you know....?

Post by BELIAL »

fishtank wrote:
NumptyBumpty wrote: Lies, damn lies and statistics.
I don't think in this case that's valid.
It's not a statistic that has been spun or tweaked or otherwise corrupted.
It's a fact....82% of our workforce are men,18% are women.
I simply asked why.
Because females have ,on average a higher IQ than men ,and are less likely to piss in the street
Bye