Poxy in this term could mean cheap, or of inferior quality - certainly the cards I used were exactly that. As to extra care, well that was constantly impressed upon me as a serviceman in Northern Ireland, Bosnia and any other places I served where there was some friction caused by our presence. However, as serviceman are individuals, despite assertions to the contrary, some listen and do their best, others don't, and it would unfair to condemn all by the actions of one, or a minority.Lounge Lizard wrote:'Poxy card' isn't the sort of language one might expect of one holding a job that surely demands a great deal of tact.andy prentice wrote:I should say raise your voice instead off screaming.Also yes.you can break the side window too gain access,as long as you put that poxy card on the windscrean,so the driver can see it,as reason is,he may be deaf.Also states on the order cards that army personel can carry out the action.
And surely extra care should have been taken by all service personnel not to offend after the actions of the army in the Bogside area of Londonderry on 30 January 1972.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
No, I'm certainly not one to 'condemn all', but had understood 'poxy' to mean suffering from pox or sickening rather than unsatisfactory or of inferior quality.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Poxy in this term could mean cheap, or of inferior quality - certainly the cards I used were exactly that. As to extra care, well that was constantly impressed upon me as a serviceman in Northern Ireland, Bosnia and any other places I served where there was some friction caused by our presence. However, as serviceman are individuals, despite assertions to the contrary, some listen and do their best, others don't, and it would unfair to condemn all by the actions of one, or a minority.Lounge Lizard wrote:'Poxy card' isn't the sort of language one might expect of one holding a job that surely demands a great deal of tact.andy prentice wrote:I should say raise your voice instead off screaming.Also yes.you can break the side window too gain access,as long as you put that poxy card on the windscrean,so the driver can see it,as reason is,he may be deaf.Also states on the order cards that army personel can carry out the action.
And surely extra care should have been taken by all service personnel not to offend after the actions of the army in the Bogside area of Londonderry on 30 January 1972.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
I understood that lounge, and he is right they were poxy - I thought I had better add the rest with your mention of Derry, its a very sore subject still, for both sides of the troubles.Lounge Lizard wrote:No, I'm certainly not one to 'condemn all', but had understood 'poxy' to mean suffering from pox or sickening rather than unsatisfactory or of inferior quality.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Poxy in this term could mean cheap, or of inferior quality - certainly the cards I used were exactly that. As to extra care, well that was constantly impressed upon me as a serviceman in Northern Ireland, Bosnia and any other places I served where there was some friction caused by our presence. However, as serviceman are individuals, despite assertions to the contrary, some listen and do their best, others don't, and it would unfair to condemn all by the actions of one, or a minority.Lounge Lizard wrote:'Poxy card' isn't the sort of language one might expect of one holding a job that surely demands a great deal of tact.andy prentice wrote:I should say raise your voice instead off screaming.Also yes.you can break the side window too gain access,as long as you put that poxy card on the windscrean,so the driver can see it,as reason is,he may be deaf.Also states on the order cards that army personel can carry out the action.
And surely extra care should have been taken by all service personnel not to offend after the actions of the army in the Bogside area of Londonderry on 30 January 1972.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
That shows the incompetance of the Ministry of Defence - countless billions of pounds well documented as wasted on procurement disasters, and then a vital card to show motorists in a troubled province is 'poxy' rather than fit for purpose.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I understood that lounge, and he is right they were poxy - I thought I had better add the rest with your mention of Derry, its a very sore subject still, for both sides of the troubles.Lounge Lizard wrote:No, I'm certainly not one to 'condemn all', but had understood 'poxy' to mean suffering from pox or sickening rather than unsatisfactory or of inferior quality.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Poxy in this term could mean cheap, or of inferior quality - certainly the cards I used were exactly that. As to extra care, well that was constantly impressed upon me as a serviceman in Northern Ireland, Bosnia and any other places I served where there was some friction caused by our presence. However, as serviceman are individuals, despite assertions to the contrary, some listen and do their best, others don't, and it would unfair to condemn all by the actions of one, or a minority.Lounge Lizard wrote:'Poxy card' isn't the sort of language one might expect of one holding a job that surely demands a great deal of tact.andy prentice wrote:I should say raise your voice instead off screaming.Also yes.you can break the side window too gain access,as long as you put that poxy card on the windscrean,so the driver can see it,as reason is,he may be deaf.Also states on the order cards that army personel can carry out the action.
And surely extra care should have been taken by all service personnel not to offend after the actions of the army in the Bogside area of Londonderry on 30 January 1972.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
Lounge Lizard,you mention Bloody Sunday as something the British Army should be ashamed off,can I just remind you that the inquiry hasn't reached its conclusion yet,just because this prime minister apologised for it doesn't mean anything,don't forget this prime minister thought that we came into the second world war after the Americans.The i.r.a committed far worse atrosicites than bloody sunday have you forgottten the M62 coach bomb where women and children were the targets? or the 2 pubs in Guildford,I was in Aldershot when they went off and the troubles in Northern Ireland continue its just not reported as much.I have very strong feelings about this.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
brothermagrew
- Posts: 3015
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 16:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Shares a border with England to the south.
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
However DB1100 the Principal Conclusions and Overall Assessment of the Bloody Sunday Inquiry can be viewed at:
http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/do ... 0/0030.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/do ... 0/0030.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Today’s workplace has become heartless and soulless. Employees are seen as units of labour, automatons, functionaries, objects for achieving designated tasks, and as costs to be minimised."
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
brothermagrew,I sincerely believe that they would have held inquiry after inquiry until a satisfactory verdict was reached,the labour government under bliar bent over backwards to appease the i.r.a,do you remember the Lee Clegg fiasco?,they were determined to find that lad guilty and just about ruined his life,how do you think the lads that were involved in Bloody Sunday feel? this has been hanging over their heads for 40 years,whereas the Guildford pub bombers did a bit of jail and were released with compenstation after proclaiming their innocence,same as the Birmingham bombers,this is not a dig at labour because I think this tory goverment is just as badbrothermagrew wrote:However DB1100 the Principal Conclusions and Overall Assessment of the Bloody Sunday Inquiry can be viewed at:
http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/do ... 0/0030.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3622
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
While are about it, when are we going to have an inquiry about IRA atrocities including those on people of their own communities who have been taken away in the middle of the night, tortured and shot, also the IRA don't take prisoners, any British servicemen can expect to be shot out of hand after a long torture session, Captain Nariac was abducted, tortured (he never talked) before being shot in the head and put in a meat mincer at a dog food factory, this is the type of people we are dealing with,
The same people who were shot march at Londonderry would just as easily have assisted the IRA gunmen to escape from the British Army, it was believed the IRA started shooting from the flats near the march, not an uncommon tactic, organise a rent a mob use it as a "come on"then shoot at the soldiers turning up to deal with it, it is highly likely the IRA could pass up an opportunity to shoot at the Paras, whose mistake was to shoot before positively locating the enemy.
I know I will get flamed for this, I stand by my views.
The same people who were shot march at Londonderry would just as easily have assisted the IRA gunmen to escape from the British Army, it was believed the IRA started shooting from the flats near the march, not an uncommon tactic, organise a rent a mob use it as a "come on"then shoot at the soldiers turning up to deal with it, it is highly likely the IRA could pass up an opportunity to shoot at the Paras, whose mistake was to shoot before positively locating the enemy.
I know I will get flamed for this, I stand by my views.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3622
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
Jean McConville was a particularity sad story, I also have heard of a Catholic Mother who helped a dying soldier in the street, she was also abducted by the IRA and shot so much for the righteousness of their cause, if a United Ireland is bound by blood, I would not want to live in it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_McConville" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_McConville" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
Apart from the criminal trials I can't see there ever being one, they are after all a criminal organisation. You could have Truth Trials like they did/do in South Africa, in fact a peace organisation that operates on both sides of the divide has suggested this regularly.NWpostie wrote:While are about it, when are we going to have an inquiry about IRA atrocities including those on people of their own communities
Now I am a serviceman that served for over 3 year in NI and I sympathise with your views, however, I can never see it happening. After all there are too many skeletons in the cupboard on the "Loyalist" side. There was always talk of collusion between the RUC, Army and UVF and UFF, there were even rumours that the "amateurish" Red Hand Commandos (apparently 1 of their cells got lost on a mission to Dublin) were actually a front organisation for an Intelligence gathering force. I also personally know of 2 servicemen that were kicked out of NI for connections with the UVF, and one of them was caught in a UVF pub in the Shankill and was returned to the mainland before closing time.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
When did this turn into a NI discussion??
From someone who lives here..............it's over, it's finished, we don't want to go back to those days, it really needs to be left for historians now and not used by politicians to try to score points with some small section of the electorate.
From someone who lives here..............it's over, it's finished, we don't want to go back to those days, it really needs to be left for historians now and not used by politicians to try to score points with some small section of the electorate.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
Another less well known case was of a Sergeant in the RCT who was kidnapped and murdered by the ira he was with them for 3 days before his body was found in a Derry graveyard this was in April 1977,there was a rumour that a certain politician was carrying a thompson at bloody sunday and allegedly used to boast about his heroic escapades at the time and like NWpostie says I don't care if you flame me.The good Friday agreement was a shambles.NWpostie wrote:While are about it, when are we going to have an inquiry about IRA atrocities including those on people of their own communities who have been taken away in the middle of the night, tortured and shot, also the IRA don't take prisoners, any British servicemen can expect to be shot out of hand after a long torture session, Captain Nariac was abducted, tortured (he never talked) before being shot in the head and put in a meat mincer at a dog food factory, this is the type of people we are dealing with,
The same people who were shot march at Londonderry would just as easily have assisted the IRA gunmen to escape from the British Army, it was believed the IRA started shooting from the flats near the march, not an uncommon tactic, organise a rent a mob use it as a "come on"then shoot at the soldiers turning up to deal with it, it is highly likely the IRA could pass up an opportunity to shoot at the Paras, whose mistake was to shoot before positively locating the enemy.
I know I will get flamed for this, I stand by my views.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
Well said DGP.DGP1 wrote:When did this turn into a NI discussion??
From someone who lives here..............it's over, it's finished, we don't want to go back to those days, it really needs to be left for historians now and not used by politicians to try to score points with some small section of the electorate.
If NI can try to move on it's really time those with no experience of the situation did as well.
A great deal of Central Scotland for a start.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
fishtank wrote:Well said DGP.DGP1 wrote:When did this turn into a NI discussion??
From someone who lives here..............it's over, it's finished, we don't want to go back to those days, it really needs to be left for historians now and not used by politicians to try to score points with some small section of the electorate.![]()
If NI can try to move on it's really time those with no experience of the situation did as well.
A great deal of Central Scotland for a start.
to both of you.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Do the military have authority to search a RM vehicle?
I didn't suggest that Bloody Sunday was something the British Army should be ashamed off but likewise I'm sure you don't claim it's anything they're proud of.DB1100 wrote:Lounge Lizard,you mention Bloody Sunday as something the British Army should be ashamed off,can I just remind you that the inquiry hasn't reached its conclusion yet,just because this prime minister apologised for it doesn't mean anything,don't forget this prime minister thought that we came into the second world war after the Americans.The i.r.a committed far worse atrosicites than bloody sunday have you forgottten the M62 coach bomb where women and children were the targets? or the 2 pubs in Guildford,I was in Aldershot when they went off and the troubles in Northern Ireland continue its just not reported as much.I have very strong feelings about this.
And with 26 unarmed civil-rights protesters and bystanders shot by soldiers of the British Army our Prime Minister surely didn't need await conclusions of an enquiry before apologising.
I totally agree with TBT that "you could have Truth Trials like they did/do in South Africa, in fact a peace organisation that operates on both sides of the divide has suggested this regularly" and with DGP that "it's over, it's finished, we don't want to go back to those days, it really needs to be left for historians now and not used by politicians to try to score points with some small section of the electorate."