fishtank wrote:andy prentice wrote:On the subject of specials.I queried my union rep that "if i tried first time that day and scanned on pda that no answer,then lo behold the very occupent catches me up further up the street for it,and re scanned it as for his signature,if that was okay still"
His answer was"no its a failure" fair enough if it is one o clock, but not before surely.

The correct procedure after you have scanned it as not delivered/no answer is to scan it into indoor/not delivered/no answer/available for collection then it can go through the PDA at any time without failing.
I would add i would never do this on the street,only if i was delivering to an address later that i had already been to with a special.
If you've already scanned it as attempted delivery, no answer, then it's already been scanned prior to 1 o'clock and therefore not failed IMO. If the person then later catches up with you, and then signs for the item after 1 o'clock, the PDA has already updated, in real time, the previous scan showing the first attempted delivery.
What FT was trying to say is that, inbetween the 2 attempted deliveries, you should effectively put the item as available for collection by switching the PDA back onto indoor mode. However, most OPGs wouldn't have been trained how to do that, I certainly didn't train any of our lot how to do it, partly because I didn't want them buggering it up!! lol I was told that if there were any queries, the audit trail would reveal all in the event of a compensation claim. So, providing you scanned it and entered the correct reason code at the time of first scanning, then there's no problem with scanning it again afterwards if the person catches up with you.
However, as we all know, you're not allowed to give mail out in the street, so this is all hypothetical anyway
