Now that is a fact.......dvbuk55 wrote:Well I can say one thing for certain, if anyone is relying solely on their old age pension to maintain their lifestyle, I would start getting used to living in a cardboard box and eating only every other day whilst selling the big issue or learning to play the guitar or both..............and as a last resort..............well need I say more.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
PENSION
-
Cheetah
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 13:17
- Gender: Male
Re: PENSION
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: PENSION
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/make-money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Cheetah wrote:Now that is a fact.......dvbuk55 wrote:Well I can say one thing for certain, if anyone is relying solely on their old age pension to maintain their lifestyle, I would start getting used to living in a cardboard box and eating only every other day whilst selling the big issue or learning to play the guitar or both..............and as a last resort..............well need I say more.![]()
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: PENSION
I do that already, as do me parents - however there is the social aspect of visiting friends and family and of course at their age going to the latest funeral.bringon4dayweeks wrote:use tesco dot com and get your shopping delivered tues night for 3 quidTrueBlueTerrier wrote:Agree with that my parents now both in their 70s need a car because of reduced mobility and poor provision of public transport. Luckily they saved up and have a comfortable, but not lavish, retirement.RobertT wrote:I agree about the mortgage, but many pensioners still want and need a car.bringon4dayweeks wrote:when youre a pensioner you should have no mortgage you wont need a car
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: PENSION
Usually whether they know them or not?!TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I do that already, as do me parents - however there is the social aspect of visiting friends and family and of course at their age going to the latest funeral.bringon4dayweeks wrote:use tesco dot com and get your shopping delivered tues night for 3 quidTrueBlueTerrier wrote:Agree with that my parents now both in their 70s need a car because of reduced mobility and poor provision of public transport. Luckily they saved up and have a comfortable, but not lavish, retirement.RobertT wrote:I agree about the mortgage, but many pensioners still want and need a car.bringon4dayweeks wrote:when youre a pensioner you should have no mortgage you wont need a car![]()
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6706
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: PENSION
I agree that it's wise to transfer your pot into cash, gilts, etc when you're near retirement age, although the 30-40 years previous to that time, it should be predominantly in shares! The point is that RM final / average salary scheme gives a set ratio of pension based on renumeration and years worked, a private pension doesn't."rather than the whims of the stock market"
Incorrect, you do not have to invest a private pension into the stock market, you can and will be encouraged in your later years to invest your pot into cash accounts, Secure Gilts or similar......
I was referring to the RM pension being linked to inflation! Obviously with a private pension you will have the choice whether you link to inflation or not. It may not be the best thing to do."and the embedded link to inflation when you draw your pension".
When you take a private pension, stakeholder or other it is not linked directly to inflation alone. Paying into a private pension basically saves you a pot of money, which when you decide to draw your pension will buy you an annuity, this is the set rate at which your pension will be paid at, not solely a link to inflation.
The point I was making(perhaps not very well) is that ISA's, tax free lump sums, etc can be spent too quickly so people struggle later on, or too slowly so that people don't get the full benefit. Whereas a pension will be paid out until you die and the need to budget your savings over a non-defined length of time is taken away."But a pension is the only thing that'll give you a guaranteed income for life".
Incorrect, you can take an income for life of an ISA if you so choose.
In reality, as I intimated, a mixture of asset classes will be best for most people.
If an individual passes on the RM scheme they are saying no to 'free' money, which would be a bit silly, regardless of how long they intend to stay in the job."The only thing you really need to find out is what will provide the best pension based on your contribution levels, and that will be the RM scheme".
Not nessecarily the RM scheme, for example: if the individual does not intend to stay in employment with RM then he may be better with a private scheme as you are punished heavily when transfering to another provider
In general, charges are only made for transfers if the fund in invested in 'with profits'. The Zurich fund options that the OP will be investing in, are not with profits!
If you assume I stay with RM until I'm 60, my Bonusplan might be worth £15,000 if I'm lucky, which like yours won't be a lot. A level annuity might give me £800 a year, an inflation proved one is probably about £500. I can hardly wait.Oh the bonus plan has made a pot for me to purchase an annuity of well over £5,000 for 15 yrs contribution (£2.88 per week less tax cost me around £2.30 a week) which ain't no life changing sum, but when I finish contributing to at retirement will more than double and you knowwhat they say every little helps
I think we're batting for the same side here Cheetah, perhaps I'm the Kevin Pietersen to your Mike Atherton!
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6706
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: PENSION
The CARE scheme is, but if you started with RM after April 2008 you will be in the money purchase / defined contribution scheme currently run by Zurich.fmrPOSTIE wrote:Is the new scheme classed as Defined Benefit? i.e.you will get a set amount back from Royal Mail and it will be index linked?
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
Cheetah
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 13:17
- Gender: Male
Re: PENSION
I have no desire to enter into a slanging match with you Robert
as we could be arguing all day, it's obvious neither of us are financial wizz kids else we would be in a different job....
The point is neither me or you should be giving anyone one on here definative advice regarding where and how to plan their pension provisions, as we are not qualified to do so, neither do we know any of their personal circumstances, or aspirations regarding when or with how much they intend to retire with.....
Making suggestions is one thing but the individual should be encouraged to make his own descision or seek profesional advice......
So we'll agree to disagree..... Mike Atherton indeed

The point is neither me or you should be giving anyone one on here definative advice regarding where and how to plan their pension provisions, as we are not qualified to do so, neither do we know any of their personal circumstances, or aspirations regarding when or with how much they intend to retire with.....
Making suggestions is one thing but the individual should be encouraged to make his own descision or seek profesional advice......
So we'll agree to disagree..... Mike Atherton indeed
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6706
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: PENSION
I didn't think we were having a slanging match but there you go.
I think our main difference is just the way we put our opinions across, not our opinions themselves.
But I'm quite happy to agree to disagree.

I think our main difference is just the way we put our opinions across, not our opinions themselves.
But I'm quite happy to agree to disagree.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
Cheetah
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 13:17
- Gender: Male
Re: PENSION
RobertT wrote:I didn't think we were having a slanging match but there you go.
I think our main difference is just the way we put our opinions across, not our opinions themselves.
But I'm quite happy to agree to disagree.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Funny thing is Robert the guy who asked the question has not responded to anyone's posts..... Hmmm disappointing......
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: PENSION
The guy who asked the question waited so long for a definitive answer he retiredCheetah wrote:RobertT wrote:I didn't think we were having a slanging match but there you go.
I think our main difference is just the way we put our opinions across, not our opinions themselves.
But I'm quite happy to agree to disagree.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Funny thing is Robert the guy who asked the question has not responded to anyone's posts..... Hmmm disappointing......