ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

Do you prefer a Trolley or a Cycle on delivery

1. Cycle
68
69%
2. Trolley
25
26%
3. No preference.
5
5%
 
Total votes: 98

TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Making a proper Poll - hope that's okay
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
guyscliffe
Posts: 120
Joined: 13 Nov 2010, 10:27
Gender: Male

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by guyscliffe »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Making a proper Poll - hope that's okay

No worries,terrier!
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by Lincox »

Remember the old trolleys we used to make as kids from a set of old pram wheels. Soon get round the walk in one of them. Must put it in as a suggestion :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Trolley (HCT), only "weight on my shoulders" are any specials, not to mention less delivery points can be delivered over the same delivery span if you adhere to the SSOW guidelines (no more than 2/5/10 [depending upon security risk assessment of the walk] mins locked to an immoveable object, none of this lock up and do a 40 min loop with a heavy pouch and leaving unsecure mail in trolley nonsense). Consequently, you either delivery less mail for your contract hours or get more legitimate o/t for completing if you so wish, arriving home feeling not quite as wrecked.
da'bunny
Posts: 239
Joined: 08 May 2007, 20:47

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by da'bunny »

I currently use a bike as do nearly all my colleauges. I have done my round using a trolley in the past and it adds up to an hour on the duty.
I do however think using a trolley is safer as i'm always getting minor injuries thanks to the POS bike!! Also a trolley doesnt fall over either as does the bike!
Just say NO ....to the new agreement.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2060
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by scoobydo79 »

Bike. Less tiring. Quicker and the cycle out gave Me a warm up before the start of the delivery
johnnyp
Posts: 5239
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: SE ENGLAND

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by johnnyp »

da'bunny wrote:I currently use a bike as do nearly all my colleauges. I have done my round using a trolley in the past and it adds up to an hour on the duty.I do however think using a trolley is safer as i'm always getting minor injuries thanks to the POS bike!! Also a trolley doesnt fall over either as does the bike!
If thats so then you will have a case for more duties to be put in to your office :Very Happy
Unless of course you are making loads of time each day :whistle
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by Brandy »

Bike so much quicker , imagine having to walk down long drives with the trolleys it will take ages . :arrrghhh
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Brandy wrote:<snipped> imagine having to walk down long drives with the trolleys it will take ages . :arrrghhh
Perfect when they start enforcing work to your time - bring it on as they say.

The biggest culture change in Royal Mail is getting people to work all the hours they are paid, there will always be people chasing the clock, and managers will always let them. Why, well if you can prove it can be done quicker than their plan on a regular basis they will see a saving and try to recoup it. Of course all sensible people know that the only reason they are able to do it quicker is because they are not using the mandatory equipment, and, or, are taking short cuts, even management know but it suits their plans to ignore it. The amazing thing is that those self same people who recognise it can't be done by their plans, keep proving the exact opposite.

Now if someone could come up with a campaign to do your job properly to prove what we all know, perhaps this constant pressure to complete the impossible would ease off a bit. Oh hang on a minute:

Image
Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
marshallmercury
Posts: 22
Joined: 23 Mar 2011, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by marshallmercury »

I have been doing a CDV duty for the last 10 months and would no way go back to a bike now.
1) so much easier to store D/L's
2) so much easier to pull a golf trolley with just one loop of mail
3) if it is chucking it down with rain when you reach you start point then stay in the van and wait for it to ease up
4) no long bike ride back to office at the end of your round
5) a van can carry much more than just mail :shhhhh
6) If you work a CDV with someone you get on with it can be a good laugh.

Like a lot of other people i didn't like the thought of losing my bike but to be honest i would hate to have one back now.
guyscliffe
Posts: 120
Joined: 13 Nov 2010, 10:27
Gender: Male

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by guyscliffe »

Lets keep this thread going,folks ...
Am really interested in knowing your voices on this !!!
I know 100%,that the public prefer to see postmen and women out on their bikes,doing their rounds!
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by NewPostieUK »

I've never used a trolley or a bike. I walk with my bag. I can't imagine pushing a trolley or a bike up some of the hills on the walks I cover. Also, most of them are miles away from the D.O.

My first choice though, would be van. Alone.
oldgeezer
Posts: 7
Joined: 26 Jan 2012, 13:13
Gender: Male

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by oldgeezer »

It does depend on the walk surely. Some are only safe on a bike in our office because of only 1 pavement on some roads, etc. We have just wasted time on .... oops sorry just had the Big Picture sessions in readiness for office revision and they said we should enter into it as a blank canvas and come to the best ways to do the job and then we are told how much shared vans and looping is the way forward !! How many office revisions are working well? They started 1 before here and 98 % of the staff signed a letter to say we felt that it wasn't workable so hey ho we start all over again.
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by Straight4ward »

Letter to the Courier.

Dear Sirs,
I wish to register my disappointment on learning that I am to lose my trusty companion of many years. I am, of course, referring to the decision to dispense with the services of the office bike.

I can recall my very first time, I was but a callow youth, but she put me at ease with her well-worn saddle and her comforting handle bars. Once I ridden her I knew there was no turning back, innocence was lost.

Over the years we have enjoyed many a good ride together in towns and countryside, through leafy lanes and across open fields. Oh, we’ve had the odd falling out (or off) as partners often do. There are times when I’ve had to pump her up in public, turn her upside down to put oil on her nether regions and on one occasion I was forced to ignore her blandishments while I recovered from a nasty rash. Many is the time when I’ve left her propped up against the wall outside the pub but I’ve always come back to mount her again. For years she’s taken everything that I could throw at her, a full load from my heavy sacks.

Now I understand that you wish to replace her with some new-fangled trolley dolly, in the name of progress. Things will never be the same again.

Yours faithfully,

Old “Cycling” Chap.

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Trolleys or Bikes ...... ?

Post by krussel »

Straight4ward wrote:Letter to the Courier.

Dear Sirs,
I wish to register my disappointment on learning that I am to lose my trusty companion of many years. I am, of course, referring to the decision to dispense with the services of the office bike.

I can recall my very first time, I was but a callow youth, but she put me at ease with her well-worn saddle and her comforting handle bars. Once I ridden her I knew there was no turning back, innocence was lost.

Over the years we have enjoyed many a good ride together in towns and countryside, through leafy lanes and across open fields. Oh, we’ve had the odd falling out (or off) as partners often do. There are times when I’ve had to pump her up in public, turn her upside down to put oil on her nether regions and on one occasion I was forced to ignore her blandishments while I recovered from a nasty rash. Many is the time when I’ve left her propped up against the wall outside the pub but I’ve always come back to mount her again. For years she’s taken everything that I could throw at her, a full load from my heavy sacks.

Now I understand that you wish to replace her with some new-fangled trolley dolly, in the name of progress. Things will never be the same again.

Yours faithfully,

Old “Cycling” Chap.


Love it :Applause :Applause :Applause
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........