This is the problem. People ask "Why take the job if you know you can't survive on that wage?" Well, it's because you're bullsh*tted when you start by the DOM (who you have no reason to not to believe at this point) who tells you that they only have vacancies for 25 hours or whatever at this moment, but that in X amount of months you'll more than likely be put on a full time contract anyway, and that there's be plenty of overtime in the interim. So you take the job. THAT'S how they get the P/Ts through the door and onto the contracts in the first place.
I was lucky in that the part time wage I was on was actually more than I was earning working longer hours elsewhere so it didn't matter so much to me, then my contract was increased slightly (by 5 hours)-although I was still shafted over as there were others who were given more hours (10 hours) which I didn't realise until much later.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Anyone else in a similar Position?
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Anyone else in a similar Position?
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
RetroJunkie
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
- Gender: Female
Re: Anyone else in a similar Position?
Nail on the head mate, nail on the headthecompletepackage wrote:Been there done that. Banging my head against a brick wall.Cheetah wrote: Here we go again the old P/T v F/T![]()
![]()
. We're all posties full stop !!!!!! You are being treated unfairly so DO SOMETHING..... Take the issue up with the office manager if you get no joy, Go to your rep if you get no joy, Go to the area rep if you get no joy, Go to division..... Put in a grievance but do something, nothing will alter by just grumbling on here, if you're being treated unfairly stand up and be counted !!!!!
Yes FT and others there is a lot of creditability in what you say but the flip side is that a lot of people come to RM because it fits into their lifestyle regarding times. I do understand times change but it's not too many years ago since we all finished at or before 12.30, now its 3 or even 4.00. When you consider how RM champions themselves as being family friendly there's not much consideration for employees collecting children at 3.
When RM brought about the original changes in our office they, at a team brief asked anyone to come forward to whom the changes made life difficult be it child care, second job whatever, and they would make every effort to accommodate them, off the top of my head I think there were 15 put in hardship and asked for consideration...... they didn't accommodate one, not one and we lost 6 good posties all due to child care issues.....
If these constant time changes provided the customer with a better service or generated more profit, it would be easier to swallow, but as you well know the majority of customers are strongly against the later delivery, and it's hard to see the justification in later times as when they want to they are able to get the mail to the delivery office as early as they used to, proved every Saturday in our office......
Anyhow what about the season ticket holders on a Saturday afternoon as well LOL![]()
![]()
Union rep doesn't give a stuff. Grievance resulted in 'Well 25 hours is your contracted hours - what's your problem?'
![]()
Me sticking my head above the parapet only engages in return fire. I wanted full time hours when I joined and was told I would be made up in 6-12 months...............3 years later still 25 hours. Not easy to live on. Hard to get a second job to fit in. And yes my fellow full-timers also don't give a shi!t as they get any request to work their day off allowed, come in an hour earlier and book it, while I'm told to reduce my 'over' 25 hours time booked, and come in later, even though nothing has been prepped.
I'm trained on 19 duties now and always end up doing more than my fair share of bloody D2D's cos the F/T's 'don't have time'??!!
Funny you should mention season ticket holders.......one of my cover duties is one, always requests to work saturday when it's his long weekend off, runs round like fook so he can get to the match in time, never signs back in and claims his usual 8 hours o/t for 6 hours work.
F/T = I'm alright Jack. *P/T = sh!t hours, sh!t duties, sh!t holidays and general sh!t.
* based on my 3 years experience at RM.
Yes, I know I'm lucky to have a job, but a level playing field would be nice.
a full time job for part time wages, part timers are doing FAR to much for there money, FAR to much.
when will the greed end who knows, maybe when we all drop dead, but then we will just be replaced as royal mail couldn't care less if you died 2morrow.
2 years deep, still temporary still F******* rolling 3 months after 3 months, put this dead horse to sleep PLEASE, u couldnt possibly shaft us anymore than u already have.
HATE HATE HATE THIS JOB, WITH AN ABSOLUTE PASSION.
there's lucky to have a job and theirs working yourself into a early grave, i opt for the latter with what was a fantastic job to have.
-
SexyLegs
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 393
- Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 16:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone else in a similar Position?
Only difference between PT and FT is that FT do IPS, for about 2 hours a day at my office, so why all the animosity toward FT? I don't understand, or I've missed something?RetroJunkie wrote:Nail on the head mate, nail on the headthecompletepackage wrote:Been there done that. Banging my head against a brick wall.Cheetah wrote: Here we go again the old P/T v F/T![]()
![]()
. We're all posties full stop !!!!!! You are being treated unfairly so DO SOMETHING..... Take the issue up with the office manager if you get no joy, Go to your rep if you get no joy, Go to the area rep if you get no joy, Go to division..... Put in a grievance but do something, nothing will alter by just grumbling on here, if you're being treated unfairly stand up and be counted !!!!!
Yes FT and others there is a lot of creditability in what you say but the flip side is that a lot of people come to RM because it fits into their lifestyle regarding times. I do understand times change but it's not too many years ago since we all finished at or before 12.30, now its 3 or even 4.00. When you consider how RM champions themselves as being family friendly there's not much consideration for employees collecting children at 3.
When RM brought about the original changes in our office they, at a team brief asked anyone to come forward to whom the changes made life difficult be it child care, second job whatever, and they would make every effort to accommodate them, off the top of my head I think there were 15 put in hardship and asked for consideration...... they didn't accommodate one, not one and we lost 6 good posties all due to child care issues.....
If these constant time changes provided the customer with a better service or generated more profit, it would be easier to swallow, but as you well know the majority of customers are strongly against the later delivery, and it's hard to see the justification in later times as when they want to they are able to get the mail to the delivery office as early as they used to, proved every Saturday in our office......
Anyhow what about the season ticket holders on a Saturday afternoon as well LOL![]()
![]()
Union rep doesn't give a stuff. Grievance resulted in 'Well 25 hours is your contracted hours - what's your problem?'
![]()
Me sticking my head above the parapet only engages in return fire. I wanted full time hours when I joined and was told I would be made up in 6-12 months...............3 years later still 25 hours. Not easy to live on. Hard to get a second job to fit in. And yes my fellow full-timers also don't give a shi!t as they get any request to work their day off allowed, come in an hour earlier and book it, while I'm told to reduce my 'over' 25 hours time booked, and come in later, even though nothing has been prepped.
I'm trained on 19 duties now and always end up doing more than my fair share of bloody D2D's cos the F/T's 'don't have time'??!!
Funny you should mention season ticket holders.......one of my cover duties is one, always requests to work saturday when it's his long weekend off, runs round like fook so he can get to the match in time, never signs back in and claims his usual 8 hours o/t for 6 hours work.
F/T = I'm alright Jack. *P/T = sh!t hours, sh!t duties, sh!t holidays and general sh!t.
* based on my 3 years experience at RM.
Yes, I know I'm lucky to have a job, but a level playing field would be nice.
a full time job for part time wages, part timers are doing FAR to much for there money, FAR to much.
when will the greed end who knows, maybe when we all drop dead, but then we will just be replaced as royal mail couldn't care less if you died 2morrow.
2 years deep, still temporary still F******* rolling 3 months after 3 months, put this dead horse to sleep PLEASE, u couldnt possibly shaft us anymore than u already have.
HATE HATE HATE THIS JOB, WITH AN ABSOLUTE PASSION.
there's lucky to have a job and theirs working yourself into a early grave, i opt for the latter with what was a fantastic job to have.