ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
we have got a postwoman who got bit in November while putting the post through the letter box.
she got a letter of apology from the owner telling her that she was sorry her cat had bitten the posties hand.
I find that most dogs are fine if you are their regular postie, if you are a stranger then they will go for you for just that reason, they are scared etc.
but no dog is safe no matter what size or breed and even the soppiest of dogs can turn in an instant.
she got a letter of apology from the owner telling her that she was sorry her cat had bitten the posties hand.
I find that most dogs are fine if you are their regular postie, if you are a stranger then they will go for you for just that reason, they are scared etc.
but no dog is safe no matter what size or breed and even the soppiest of dogs can turn in an instant.
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
An Akita and a Rotty!!! I have a house with those two on my walk.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Weirdly on my duty staffies are not a problem, in fact there is a flipping huge rotty and an Akita that are both placid as anything. Yet there are 2 black curly haired terriers that are old and are the bane of my life, they even go after me when on a lead. There is also an old Alsation that goes mad till I tell him to be quiet, and a white lab that is placid right up till I put the letter through the flap, he then goes mad running in circles and barking.fng wrote:To answer your question - I've never come accross a nasty staffie yet either as a postie or a civie. As with people, dogs have their own personalities and their are some baduns out there but i've not met a bad staffie yet. I'm sure there will be a barrage of staffie stories to follow.templek wrote: so which breed is usually the most friendliest from your experiences?![]()
![]()
Rule of thumb is don't trust any of the dogs they can turn on you in a second. In fact I knew a yorkie as a puppy, wagged his tail and jumped all over me when he was in the garden. 6 months ago he went for me, luckily the owner was there so got him before he got me.
The Rotty is aggressive ; the Akita is not. Whilst I do not like either of them ; I would fear the Akita the most.
Have refused to deliver when the door is open ; and the owner asked me why!!!
Most dogs I love ; not these two
-
Straight4ward
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1621
- Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
Never been bitten by an owner yet.TeeferTiger wrote:As others have said, they all have their moments. It's the owners who are the problem, not the dogs.
(Had a couple of fights, though.)
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
I've had more arguments with owners than I have with the dogs! Luckily when I got bitten (in someone else's garden because the dog had gotten loose) someone backed me up because the owner didn't believe me. That dog was fuggin nuts. And there was another dog, an alsatian type I think, that was so wild, every day it took a bit more of the bottom of the gate off, until there was only a heavy plant pot holding it back. Even my own dog that I used to take out with me (who was a big dog and a bit bitey with strangers...) wouldn't go in that gate because he was scared of it!Straight4ward wrote:Never been bitten by an owner yet.TeeferTiger wrote:As others have said, they all have their moments. It's the owners who are the problem, not the dogs.![]()
(Had a couple of fights, though.)
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
templek
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 22 Oct 2008, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
well i have always find greyhounds and whippets freindly. Ive never heard one bark! they seem to act like puppies who have not grown up. I bet next week i will be on here saying i have got bitten by one! some of the walks at my office go near forests where owners do whippet racing, and also a lot of retired greyhounds are there to.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
They always look like they're scared of their own shadow that's why loltemplek wrote:well i have always find greyhounds and whippets freindly. Ive never heard one bark! they seem to act like puppies who have not grown up. I bet next week i will be on here saying i have got bitten by one! some of the walks at my office go near forests where owners do whippet racing, and also a lot of retired greyhounds are there to.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
Johnny Remo wrote:"Dogs don't like posties" is more like it! In 20 years of owning dogs I've never had a dog being aggressive to me, and never been bitten, even when breaking up fights.
Since becoming a postie 3 months ago *every* dug hates me and I was bitten within the the first month by a placid looking old thing, and by another as I walked past it and it's owner in the street.
Johnny's bang on here
I ve had dogs for years and never been bitten even when another has attack mine on a lead. HOWEVER show a dog a postie uniform and the buggers change (although mines fine) and even if your off your round they will want to have a go.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
Try mixing them with another dog and you get nervous and very bitey ..............and really really fast (and if you mix in a Collie they then have intelligence tooTeeferTiger wrote:They always look like they're scared of their own shadow that's why loltemplek wrote:well i have always find greyhounds and whippets freindly. Ive never heard one bark! they seem to act like puppies who have not grown up. I bet next week i will be on here saying i have got bitten by one! some of the walks at my office go near forests where owners do whippet racing, and also a lot of retired greyhounds are there to.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
mr deeds
- Posts: 212
- Joined: 18 Sep 2008, 17:23
- Gender: Female
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
had a customer on my round cross-breed agressive dogs he mixed a shitsu with a bull dog i f*ukin hate those bullshitters..lol
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
I've said it before, it's the hi viz vest! My dog went berserk when I first came home wearing my SJA hi viz jacket until he realised it was me.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
Or it could just be that dogs have listened to their owners moan about us posties and they think they're protecting their home by attacking usTeeferTiger wrote:I've said it before, it's the hi viz vest! My dog went berserk when I first came home wearing my SJA hi viz jacket until he realised it was me.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
It is purely instinctive territorial behaviour.
If you train a dog properly you can stop it acting on those instincts but it will always be there.
In the same way that my dog occasionally gets over-friendly with his bed despite the fact that he has no bollocks...it's purely instinctive.
If you train a dog properly you can stop it acting on those instincts but it will always be there.
In the same way that my dog occasionally gets over-friendly with his bed despite the fact that he has no bollocks...it's purely instinctive.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
CatS, pluralDGP1 wrote:Or it could just be that dogs have listened to their owners moan about us posties and they think they're protecting their home by attacking usTeeferTiger wrote:I've said it before, it's the hi viz vest! My dog went berserk when I first came home wearing my SJA hi viz jacket until he realised it was me.that and we always appear at the door and then go away so the dog gets into a routine of barking and then succeeding in getting rid of the intruder............or it just be because our uniform smells of cat
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
DHARMA16
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 01 Nov 2011, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
I would NEVER trust any dog again-I was attacked by a large St Bernard cross breed about 5 years ago and was bitten up my arm,on my leg and all over the side of my torso.The people who owned the dog were at work and just let the dog roam about the estate I was delivering in.Ther dog was put down by the owner the following day as it was not the first time he had bitten someone.I didnt even get a sorry from the owner.I was off work for 2 weeks and I was phoned every day from my manager to see when I was returning to work.So since then I dont trust any dog as already stated if in doubt dont risk it
-
bottletree
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 19 Mar 2010, 20:53
- Gender: Male
Re: 'I know You posties dont like dogs!'
I find that if you cover yourself in the dogs own poo they will more or less leave you alone. Come to think of it most people do too. Our lass has not spoken to me for ages. 