ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Apprenticeship room of doom.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Apprenticeship room of doom.
One of the guys I worked with was a PHG AND he got the supervisor allowance. Last I heard even he'd quit the RLE, but that was after it became not quite so cushy.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Apprenticeship room of doom.
phg doesnt exist anymore you just work in the lockerTeeferTiger wrote:One of the guys I worked with was a PHG AND he got the supervisor allowance. Last I heard even he'd quit the RLE, but that was after it became not quite so cushy.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Apprenticeship room of doom.
No, he still got the PHG allowance I meant, AND the supervisor allowance.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Apprenticeship room of doom.
Then I was in there, as an OPG but also WPC, doing the work of 2 people in the morning, then my own shift in the afternoon for over 3 weeks and the office was the tidiest it's ever been 
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
Straight4ward
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1621
- Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Apprenticeship room of doom.
I did the callers for about 15 months and you definitely need a thick skin and a sense of humour. I don't know about using apprenticeship schemes but I definitely think that every new starter should have a spell in there.
-
bakerstreetirregular
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 07 Sep 2011, 20:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Apprenticeship room of doom.
After spending most of December in the callers office, I can only echo many of the sentiments already posted. Perhaps if "new starts" were put in the "Room Of Doom" they might actually understand the importance of filling out a 739 card out properly!. I mean the real basic stuff such as ticking the right box (or any box for that matter) and putting a decent description on the card as opposed to "box". In fact while I think about it maybe all those who can't fill in a card properly should have a wee turn especially when its busy, so can feel the joy of saying to someone "I'm sorry I can't find your parcel.."
-
dan1986ccfc
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 07 Dec 2009, 16:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Apprenticeship room of doom.
Is it really that bad?
Your just handing out parcels. So what if it gets busy. So what if you cant find a packet. Not my problem! I've dealt with many angry customers before in previous jobs and it doesn't worry me in the slightest. Quite looking forward to having a day off from a back breaking park and loop round tbh!
Your just handing out parcels. So what if it gets busy. So what if you cant find a packet. Not my problem! I've dealt with many angry customers before in previous jobs and it doesn't worry me in the slightest. Quite looking forward to having a day off from a back breaking park and loop round tbh!
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Apprenticeship room of doom.
Get yourself volunteered to be in there then!dan1986ccfc wrote:Is it really that bad?
Your just handing out parcels. So what if it gets busy. So what if you cant find a packet. Not my problem! I've dealt with many angry customers before in previous jobs and it doesn't worry me in the slightest. Quite looking forward to having a day off from a back breaking park and loop round tbh!
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
dan1986ccfc
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 07 Dec 2009, 16:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Apprenticeship room of doom.
TeeferTiger wrote:Get yourself volunteered to be in there then!dan1986ccfc wrote:Is it really that bad?
Your just handing out parcels. So what if it gets busy. So what if you cant find a packet. Not my problem! I've dealt with many angry customers before in previous jobs and it doesn't worry me in the slightest. Quite looking forward to having a day off from a back breaking park and loop round tbh!
I have thought about it... Although I'll review the situation again after my first day in there Tuesday
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Apprenticeship room of doom.
I only quit it because of the abuse from the staff, management and then the customers. I could handle the customer abuse because I've dealt with it all before in other jobs. It was the staff and management abuse I was fed up with, and the constant piss taking i.e. they would loan me out to another office for the week, tell me I was there ALL week, then phone me up on Friday morning and tell me that I was back in the RLE at my regular office on Saturday. This wouldn't have been a problem had I not already worked out my hours with the other office, they having decided that they didn't need me on Saturday and so agreed I could make up my hours during the week as it would suit them better to have me there longer during the week.
They constantly messed me about with the RLE, moving people around and shifting me into there on a Saturday afternoon because they couldn't get walks covered so I was always in there until gone 3pm on a Saturday. Sometimes I wouldn't find out until I got into work either that they'd moved my shift to 2 hours later but I "could have the OT if I wanted it".
They constantly messed me about with the RLE, moving people around and shifting me into there on a Saturday afternoon because they couldn't get walks covered so I was always in there until gone 3pm on a Saturday. Sometimes I wouldn't find out until I got into work either that they'd moved my shift to 2 hours later but I "could have the OT if I wanted it".
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
not me
- Posts: 2735
- Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
- Gender: Female
- Location: Uranus
Re: Apprenticeship room of doom.
dan1986ccfc wrote:Is it really that bad?
Your just handing out parcels. So what if it gets busy. So what if you cant find a packet. Not my problem! I've dealt with many angry customers before in previous jobs and it doesn't worry me in the slightest. Quite looking forward to having a day off from a back breaking park and loop round tbh!
one days fine
however,do it long term and its soul destroying