ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Holidays help please

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sheff postie
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 131
Joined: 04 Feb 2011, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays help please

Post by sheff postie »

I thought everywhere was done on a rota basis now, my MC has a 3 block rota, 1 year you get first pick, next you get second pick and next year third pick but this is about to change, to what i don't know but i will guarantee it won't be seniority. The DO I worked at also did it this way.

And if you can't get what you want KNOCK!!!! 1 week with the kids is better than none.

Our rep is also the book room man and allocates duties to leave reserves, OT and holidays :crazy: :arrrghhh of cause there is no favouritism ;liar

Rumour has it that a few lieu days were given out just before the recent unit rep election :shock: . Obviously these are just rumours and can't be substantiated
Postiegirl1
Posts: 13
Joined: 28 Dec 2011, 10:47
Gender: Female

Re: Holidays help please

Post by Postiegirl1 »

Dvb all I'd like is to be able to spend time with my kids. It's tough enough as it is to arrange child care around my hours. But I did no it wouldn't be easy when I took this job. I don't expect to be handed everything on a plate. I haven't had a summer holiday with my kids in a few years. All I'm asking is that the holidays are made fairer and I believe a Rota system is probably the fairest way.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays help please

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:It's all very well turning this into the four Yorkshiremen sketch dvb but the girl is only asking for a fair crack at the holiday sheet not a 42 inch plasma and not preferential treatment just the same chance as everyone else to get a couple of weeks in the summer with her kids.
Thinking that she should have it tough because you did is hardly progressive,my grandad died of Miners Lung...you're not suggesting i should join him just to make it fair are you? :nervous
My post was directed more to the person who assumed someone who criticised the post was a single mummys boy. The holiday system wherever you work and whatever it is, rota, seniority, is what it is. My point is that people expect the employer to make allowances for them because of their family circumstances and that doesn't treat everyone fairly in the exactly the same way. I'm not suggesting that people should slide back to the victorian era but I am suggesting that people take responsibility for their own circumstances. :neutral:
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Holidays help please

Post by Judgee »

Seems seniority is being attacked yet again. These 'privileged few' as they seem to be referred to were once new starters. They had to wait thier turn over the years to get the better rounds and a better crack at the holiday weeks. How would it be fairer now if all of a sudden after having put in their time they are told they must get to the back of the line? How is that fairer? Why should new starters get privileges no one else had when they started?

Family friendly policies in our office have already given many perks to those that have CHOSEN to have a family. One girl has every saturday off and comes in late everyday skipping the IPS sorting due to family friendly policies. This means there's one less space for anyone else that needs a saturday off and all week people have to do her share of the sorting. Is that fair?

DVb is completely right. People chose to have children, why should that entitle them to benefits above and beyond people who chose not to? If they want kids then they should sort out thier own arrangements. Preferably arrangements that do not involve their work mates having to work harder just so these people can spend more time with thier kids!

They just want to have thier cake and eat it! :no no
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays help please

Post by fishtank »

Judgee wrote:Seems seniority is being attacked yet again.
No...just the improper,unagreed and possibly unlawful use of it.
If overtime was handed out in this way would that also be acceptable in your eyes.
Seniority has it's place and as long as it knows it's place it will continue to have a place.
If it's abused it will end up at an ET...Royal Mail will undoubtedly overreact and those who defended it's inappropriate use will not be very popular with the rest of the membership...because the whole house of cards will come tumbling down.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays help please

Post by dvbuk55 »

I'm not defending the use of seniority as a system of apportioning holidays. I believe that a rota system whether it's based on seniority, alphabetical or whatever system is agreed is the best method. Its crap when you are 160th of course.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays help please

Post by fishtank »

dvbuk55 wrote:I'm not defending the use of seniority as a system of apportioning holidays. I believe that a rota system whether it's based on seniority, alphabetical or whatever system is agreed is the best method. Its crap when you are 160th of course.
I didn't think you were dv...you are too fair-minded a person to do that.
I just think seniority is one of those taboo words on here where anyone who criticises any part of it is seen as attacking the whole system.
I'm not against seniority,in fact the opposite but i believe the only way to protect the system is by trying to remove it's abuses and picking holidays every year using seniority from top to bottom is an abuse.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Holidays help please

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:I'm not defending the use of seniority as a system of apportioning holidays. I believe that a rota system whether it's based on seniority, alphabetical or whatever system is agreed is the best method. Its crap when you are 160th of course.
I didn't think you were dv...you are too fair-minded a person to do that.
I just think seniority is one of those taboo words on here where anyone who criticises any part of it is seen as attacking the whole system.
I'm not against seniority,in fact the opposite but i believe the only way to protect the system is by trying to remove it's abuses and picking holidays every year using seniority from top to bottom is an abuse.
TBH seniority is only used in our office now on a repick and with the DDA rulings, FF and protected duties it only fits where it touches. The original holiday list was created using seniority in groups, I think, of 25 now of course it's more than 40. As people left new entrants would be given that slot regardless of where it appeared, it could be group1 with the first pick or group 2 with the last pick. We usually have had our holiday list by now but there is a disagreement in so they haven't been done for next year yet and whatever you get you can usually get someone to swap a week or two here and there. This week was always a bonus week and I did get it one year but gave it up to a lad with four small children, because mine had grown up and I'm sure there are many more people who would willingly exchange through good will rather than be compelled to do so.
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Re: Holidays help please

Post by Pat Ostman »

Judgee wrote:Seems seniority is being attacked yet again. These 'privileged few' as they seem to be referred to were once new starters. They had to wait thier turn over the years to get the better rounds and a better crack at the holiday weeks. How would it be fairer now if all of a sudden after having put in their time they are told they must get to the back of the line? How is that fairer? Why should new starters get privileges no one else had when they started?

Family friendly policies in our office have already given many perks to those that have CHOSEN to have a family. One girl has every saturday off and comes in late everyday skipping the IPS sorting due to family friendly policies. This means there's one less space for anyone else that needs a saturday off and all week people have to do her share of the sorting. Is that fair?

DVb is completely right. People chose to have children, why should that entitle them to benefits above and beyond people who chose not to? If they want kids then they should sort out thier own arrangements. Preferably arrangements that do not involve their work mates having to work harder just so these people can spend more time with thier kids!

They just want to have thier cake and eat it! :no no
If seniority on holidays was not used why would anyone have to go to the back of the line?
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Holidays help please

Post by Judgee »

Well they wouldn't be at the front would they Pat... unlike those that were before them with good seniority? :d'oh!

Basically they would have spent years waiting to enjoy the perks of good seniority only to have it snatched away from them when thier time came! :arrrghhh
Union what Union? Do we have a union?