ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
-
muzzy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
Then surely you would do smaller loops or if you have a bike use the panniers?
Today I had 3 sacks of packets, 8 pouches in total, I got it all delivered
Today I had 3 sacks of packets, 8 pouches in total, I got it all delivered
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
19times wrote:I've been told to leave packets ( knock on ones that is) in order to try and deliver all the mail![]()
Packets are mounting up - i have Fridays and now todays stacked on top of my frame![]()
Joke.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
Sliders
- Posts: 184
- Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 16:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
Maybe at Christmas RM should send out notes like P739s' to customers that there packet is in the DO, and to contact them to arrange a date for delivery or come and pick it up. This would save my back for deliveries where no one is in, and also save time delivering the same packets twice
!
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
...and cost us hours and jobs.Sliders wrote:Maybe at Christmas RM should send out notes like P739s' to customers that there packet is in the DO, and to contact them to arrange a date for delivery or come and pick it up. This would save my back for deliveries where no one is in, and also save time delivering the same packets twice!
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Sliders
- Posts: 184
- Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 16:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
I had four sacks of packets and 20 recorded on Friday, it was silly really, I ended up leaving half a sack as they just could not fit into the bags or boxes. Anyway Friday was by far the heaviest day I have had as a postie. I cannot believe it can get heavier than that, it was flammin ridiculesNewPostieUK wrote:You are joking, how many bags do you have? I struggle to fit one packet bags worth into my bags. I had 6 bags packed with cards etc all weighing 11 Kg. Very little room for packets.cinemasaint wrote:I had 3 and half bags of packets today I cleared all but 4 packets as I didn't have space in my bags,
.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
Don't do loops or have a bike. It's all on foot.muzzy wrote:Then surely you would do smaller loops or if you have a bike use the panniers?
Today I had 3 sacks of packets, 8 pouches in total, I got it all delivered
Driver takes anything I can't manage, it's a good job he's a decent lad.
-
ronpetetrevchris
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 30 Oct 2007, 17:55
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
Been on packets for the past two weeks and iv had three complaints about not knocking and just posting 739's, what a fin joke. My knuckles are all fooked from knocking on bloody doors in the freezing cold!!!!!
The Daily Mail really has started something here
The Daily Mail really has started something here
-
Sliders
- Posts: 184
- Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 16:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
Sorry, I don't agree, the customer still needs their mail delivered, and if wanted their packet delivered. To me it makes sense that a customer should be made to tell you what day they want their packet delivered, it saves posties from carrying the weight around for, well nothing, when a customer is not in. I really do not think it would make that much difference to the time it takes to do a duty, only difference is a posite would be less knackered at the end of their duty.fishtank wrote:...and cost us hours and jobs.Sliders wrote:Maybe at Christmas RM should send out notes like P739s' to customers that there packet is in the DO, and to contact them to arrange a date for delivery or come and pick it up. This would save my back for deliveries where no one is in, and also save time delivering the same packets twice!
Also couriers do this, they ask you what day and time you want packets delivered, so why can't RM insist that customers to this also.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
First of all it's not a good business plan to attempt to "make" a customer do anything.Sliders wrote: To me it makes sense that a customer should be made to tell you what day they want their packet delivered,
Secondly the customer is the sender not the recipient,they pay to have a packet delivered to an address in a certain time frame.The sender will quite rightly expect some kind of discount since you are potentially only providing half the service...delivery to a delivery office.
Thirdly if you aren't delivering the packet but are simply informing the recipient of it's arrival at the D.O. and then giving the customer an option to pick it straight up that must remove delivery hours from the front line...even as little as 1 in 5 customers picking up their own packets would see a drastic effect in a D.O.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Sliders
- Posts: 184
- Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 16:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
In some aspects,yes your right about the customer not being the recipient, though I could argue that a person paying amazon for a product is the customer, since they are actually paying for the postage, and without their money paying for this postage the product would not be sent. However, your points one and three I disagree totally, I would imagine that the "recipient" would have no problem whatsoever, telling RM what day and time to come and deliver (which I reckon 99 % of people would do, after all it saves them a journey to pick it up themselves), and your third point I just don't believe, where do you get this statistic from ? it sound really far fetched IMHOfishtank wrote:First of all it's not a good business plan to attempt to "make" a customer do anything.Sliders wrote: To me it makes sense that a customer should be made to tell you what day they want their packet delivered,
Secondly the customer is the sender not the recipient,they pay to have a packet delivered to an address in a certain time frame.The sender will quite rightly expect some kind of discount since you are potentially only providing half the service...delivery to a delivery office.
Thirdly if you aren't delivering the packet but are simply informing the recipient of it's arrival at the D.O. and then giving the customer an option to pick it straight up that must remove delivery hours from the front line...even as little as 1 in 5 customers picking up their own packets would see a drastic effect in a D.O.
Last edited by Sliders on 18 Dec 2011, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
It doesn't matter what the recipient pays,the sender is the customer,our contract is with the sender and the sender drives the delivery method.Sliders wrote: In some aspects,yes your right about the customer not being the recipient, though I could argue that a person paying for say an amazon for a product is the customer, since they are actually paying for the postage,and without their money paying for this postage the product would not be sent.
However, your points one and three I disagree totally, I would imagine that the "recipient" would have no problem whatsoever, telling RM what day and time to come and deliver
I'm sure they would...but allowing everyone to choose a particular time would be ridiculous and unmanageable and prohibitively expensive.
The best we could do is what most courier companies do which is give a 4-5 hour window which is pretty much what we do now.
What you are talking about is delaying the packet another day while you deliver a "your packet is waiting to be delivered card"
Point 3 is an educated guess having worked in both delivery and the callers and noticing how many pop in on their way to work,at lunchtime or on their way home and would rather do that than take a day off work to sit at home waiting for a packet.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
Storage
Most Callers Offices are crammed now and if they did introduce this I am guessing that the numbers of packets would increase ten fold.
Cost:
If we had delivery windows like Tesco's do (2hours) then the price of a normal parcel would have to increase. At least now Drivers have plan routes that take them their whole duty with no need to double back. Bring in Delivery Windows and drivers will have to keep backtracking to stay on time, although this might mean more jobs, it would also mean more vehicles, more fuel and all the other associated costs. Also if they did introduce windows then they would have to increase prices on the most popular times to try and get people to select the less busy ones, they would also need to limit the amount of drops per window.
If they did not introduce it in 2 hour windows but specified a day, then that surely is what the sender does now - give a rough estimate of the day due.
Customer Service:
Good and Bad Points: Good point it would allow multi packet deliveries to be arranged at a time to suit the receiver. People would more likely be in to receive.
Bad Points: The receiver is not our Customer the sender is. They have paid for delivery within a set period, attempted or actual, if the receiver is not in then our customer and RM have at least fulfilled the delivery promise.
Imagine if there is an operational reason that the arranged deliveries can't go ahead - the customer feedback would be awful and instead of isolated customers whose redelivery requests failed, you would have a larger group of upset customers who are more likely to make it a PR disaster.
My feeling is that whilst its seems a good idea on paper - it would not work in the real world of Royal Mail. Therefore I give it 6 months before they introduce it.

Most Callers Offices are crammed now and if they did introduce this I am guessing that the numbers of packets would increase ten fold.
Cost:
If we had delivery windows like Tesco's do (2hours) then the price of a normal parcel would have to increase. At least now Drivers have plan routes that take them their whole duty with no need to double back. Bring in Delivery Windows and drivers will have to keep backtracking to stay on time, although this might mean more jobs, it would also mean more vehicles, more fuel and all the other associated costs. Also if they did introduce windows then they would have to increase prices on the most popular times to try and get people to select the less busy ones, they would also need to limit the amount of drops per window.
If they did not introduce it in 2 hour windows but specified a day, then that surely is what the sender does now - give a rough estimate of the day due.
Customer Service:
Good and Bad Points: Good point it would allow multi packet deliveries to be arranged at a time to suit the receiver. People would more likely be in to receive.
Bad Points: The receiver is not our Customer the sender is. They have paid for delivery within a set period, attempted or actual, if the receiver is not in then our customer and RM have at least fulfilled the delivery promise.
Imagine if there is an operational reason that the arranged deliveries can't go ahead - the customer feedback would be awful and instead of isolated customers whose redelivery requests failed, you would have a larger group of upset customers who are more likely to make it a PR disaster.
My feeling is that whilst its seems a good idea on paper - it would not work in the real world of Royal Mail. Therefore I give it 6 months before they introduce it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Sliders
- Posts: 184
- Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 16:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Storage![]()
My feeling is that whilst its seems a good idea on paper - it would not work in the real world of Royal Mail. Therefore I give it 6 months before they introduce it.![]()
![]()
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
Some in our office are delivering packets today (Sunday)
must be mad
must be mad
-
Sliders
- Posts: 184
- Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 16:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Whose not taking packets out but 739's instead?!
Yes, but in the case of people buying products of companies, then without the person handing money over for the delivery then that company will not be sending it out for delivery. So in effect, when it comes down to it, the top and bottom of it is that in these cases, it is the recipient that really pays for the delivery.
Ok I take your point about giving a particular time, but to allow them to choose a particular day for delivery, I think is a good idea. Also I don't think you would get people chasing you down the street going crazy because they know that their packet is ready to be delivered, if they were that desperate for the packet then they could go to the DO to pick it up, or leave a note (online or any other way) when they ordered the packet stating exactly when they wanted it delivered. Moreover, a physical note could be replaced by an online tracking system which is basically in place now, that allows the recipient to see online that their packet has arrived at the DO, and then gives the option for what day is the best for it to be delivered.
Storage is also not something that would be a problem in my opinion either, since there is already a large percentage of P739 packets that get sent back to the DO, I doubt it would make that much difference.
Ok I take your point about giving a particular time, but to allow them to choose a particular day for delivery, I think is a good idea. Also I don't think you would get people chasing you down the street going crazy because they know that their packet is ready to be delivered, if they were that desperate for the packet then they could go to the DO to pick it up, or leave a note (online or any other way) when they ordered the packet stating exactly when they wanted it delivered. Moreover, a physical note could be replaced by an online tracking system which is basically in place now, that allows the recipient to see online that their packet has arrived at the DO, and then gives the option for what day is the best for it to be delivered.
Storage is also not something that would be a problem in my opinion either, since there is already a large percentage of P739 packets that get sent back to the DO, I doubt it would make that much difference.