ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

24/48 hr p739

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: 24/48 hr p739

Post by dvbuk55 »

muzzy wrote:Yeah well I think I'd be out of a job and in court if parcels kept disappearing from my round
Oh I don't know muzzy, take a read of some of the court cases over the years, "Postman A was a postman for 10 years and when a missing parcel was reported missing his home was searched and 10,000 items were found" - might be a bit extreme, but it does make you wonder why it took so long to discover the anomalies.
Blade Runner
Posts: 121
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: 24/48 hr p739

Post by Blade Runner »

muzzy wrote:Yeah well I think I'd be out of a job and in court if parcels kept disappearing from my round
As I previously wrote

Just because you record returned items on a form does not prove you have returned the item to the offfice.
Pleidiol Wyf I'm Gwlad’
muzzy
Posts: 220
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: 24/48 hr p739

Post by muzzy »

Yes.... but suppose they are all left in a cage and one of your colleagues stole one, when the customer turns up with the the 739 and the parcel ain't there... It will be your neck on the line
chuzzwuzzer
Posts: 46
Joined: 08 Nov 2011, 15:07
Gender: Male

Re: 24/48 hr p739

Post by chuzzwuzzer »

When i first started Royal Mail back in the eighties it was 2 hrs on the notice left cards LOL !
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: 24/48 hr p739

Post by dvbuk55 »

TBH I don't recall having that many returns back then. Most parcels and packets were done by van and our callers office consisted of a small portacabin half of which was for customers and the other half for returns, specials were held in the RLE upstairs and the callers bloke would ring for it to be brought down. There would probably have been about 30/40 Registereds a day then as opposed to the 300/400 we get now. Makes you wonder how with less mail then and much, much fewer parcels and packets we managed to make a mere £400 million profit a year, which the government kindly took. We now work much harder, deliver far more mail/parcels/packets and barely break even...............management at it's finest.
celerycelery
Posts: 675
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 16:44

Re: 24/48 hr p739

Post by celerycelery »

kawoxux wrote:72?!

ANyway, loving the thought of Saturday 24th, P739ing christmas gift packets with 48 hours to pick up the next Monday. So close yet so far. :chuckle
Surely it wont be open on the monday as its boxing day. Will have to put pick up wednesday 28th as both mon and tuesday are bank holidays.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: 24/48 hr p739

Post by taurus88 »

I used to put a length of time that was a couple of hours after the end of my duty. That's what I call being efficient. Unfortunately, to move packets half a metre seems to take in excess of 24 hours. One lady went to collect a parcel the same day at 5pm (three and a half hours after duty's end) ... they couldn't find it. She returned at 7pm ... they couldn't find it. She came back the next day ... they still couldn't find it. And she went to the trouble of telling me this in her best 'you're not very bright, are you?' voice. Now, I have this strange quality about me. I genuinely do come across as a not very intelligent person in everyday speech. If people want to think I'm not very bright, I'm happy to let them. It digs me out of a lot of holes. In truth, I'm just ditzy. I can't think on my feet. But being perceived as not-very-clever is preferable in situations such as this where the lady decided I wasn't worth the words she was wasting and left me well alone.

As for her packet? I don't know what happened to it.

Don't care either.

(I don't much like her.)
robg
Posts: 81
Joined: 21 Jan 2011, 22:41
Gender: Male

Re: 24/48 hr p739

Post by robg »

OnAFlyer wrote:
muzzy wrote:We put the time we are going to be back + 1 hour
Maybe our office runs more efficiently. No wonder the public is fed up with our service if they have to wait 3 days to pick up a parcel, thats bloody ridiculous
We're on p&l and put all our packets in cages outside the locker after delivery. We have to put 72hrs on cards though, apparently it takes 3 days to move them 6 feet into the locker.

Yep, it's ridiculous.
smelly_cat_lady wrote:Try working in the callers sometime!! It's better to be honest about what time the packet will be ready rather than give customers false hope/information. Mind you, half the time they leave things till the last minute........!

Yep, if you want to deliver it in 40 minutes or less then get your ass down there and hand it over personally at the callers counter, otherwise SFTU.