ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

ElvisGaddafi wrote:I suppose if you have the power to arbitrarily 'lock' threads because of 'name calling', then you may as well exercise it. There's always the danger that we may get used to the idea that this is an adult forum for Royal Mail employees who, having been well ground down by our employers in recent times, can find an outlet for discussion and argument amongst ourselves on a national basis, just as if we were sitting in the canteen with workmates. It's nice to be reminded that Big Brother is watching over us and is more able to decide on our behalf whether we can take a bit of name calling or not, than we can for ourselves. I'm pretty sure there is a historical precedent for this. I must go and look it up....
I locked the thread for 2 main reasons both explained in the thread.

1. The debate had ended and was degenerating into a name calling contest that had nothing to do with debate.
2. The Original Post asked what the pet hates of being a PTimer were for members. It ended up in a FT v PT thread.


Now I am only a human and sometimes I get pissed off easily and sometimes it takes me ages to do so. If you believe I closed a thread incorrectly then your entitled to that opinion, sometimes I think I have overreacted and will change my mind.

However, posters also have to take responsibility.

1. Keep on Topic.
2. No name calling - or have a debate over it and see if there is enough backing from others to let name calling be allowed.
3. If you think someone is taking the piss then report them, do not respond directly it just makes the thread descend even quicker.
4. Comment about your experience in your Unit, but don't extrapolate it into happening in every office. (If the FTimers in my office are lazy it does not mean that FTs in Fishes or Judgees office are the same)

The rules are there for a reason, and occasionally we have to enforce them, to be fair as Postman says we don't always apply them when perhaps we should. If you don't like the rules then make a case for changing them.

However, I for one see no benefit in a debate full of insults, after all a debate is about issues not personalities. If I see a post full of insults, or ones that make sweeping assumptions then I am afraid their credibility is put into question. I stopped calling people I disagreed with names when I left school and I honestly beleive that you cannot have an honest and open debate unless you show each other respect, even if you disagree with them.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by Straight4ward »

Taken from POSTING GUIDELINES/RULES
Please don't use rude, abusive or politically offensive language - Messages which contain excessive and pointless swearing, or insults aimed at other people, or politically offensive language will be removed.
- - -
Please don't start complaint threads about the moderating - If you feel your message has been unreasonably deleted, or if you wish to complain about a post that you find offensive, then please get in touch with the moderators. Don't just start another thread saying 'Why has my thread been deleted?' or complaining about censorship - try talking to us first! Threads complaining about disappearing posts will always be removed.


It's there in black and white. Can't argue with that.

As POSTMAN has already said we are allowed a fair amount leaway on here. I'm guilty of using a certain amount of industrial strength language sometimes.
Name calling though, is pretty pointless and if we get pulled up for that then we really can't complain.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by TeeferTiger »

Yeah, so why hasn't this thread been locked? <snigger>
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by DGP1 »

Straight4ward wrote: Name calling though, is pretty pointless and if we get pulled up for that then we really can't complain.
Says you frog boy :nervous :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by TeeferTiger »

Also, isn't all swearing pointless? It's a sign of a poor vocabulary... :whistle
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by DGP1 »

TeeferTiger wrote:Also, isn't all swearing pointless? It's a sign of a poor vocabulary... :whistle
What the f*** would you know, you f***ing f***er...............I'm so going to hell :angel :angel
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by fishtank »

TeeferTiger wrote:Also, isn't all swearing pointless? It's a sign of a poor vocabulary... :whistle
Why is swearing considered poor vocabulary?
Swear words are wonderful words full of passion.
I love them...i taught my kids to swear.
Try telling someone to f**k off without swearing.
Go away?...Please leave?....lame. :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by DGP1 »

fishtank wrote:
TeeferTiger wrote:Also, isn't all swearing pointless? It's a sign of a poor vocabulary... :whistle
Why is swearing considered poor vocabulary?
Swear words are wonderful words full of passion.
I love them...i taught my kids to swear.
Try telling someone to f**k off without swearing.
Go away?...Please leave?....lame. :cuppa
That's because you have a great accent for swearing :chuckle :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by TeeferTiger »

fishtank wrote:
TeeferTiger wrote:Also, isn't all swearing pointless? It's a sign of a poor vocabulary... :whistle
Why is swearing considered poor vocabulary?
Swear words are wonderful words full of passion.
I love them...i taught my kids to swear.
Try telling someone to f**k off without swearing.
Go away?...Please leave?....lame. :cuppa
"I would kindly ask that you leave my presence immediately... before I ram this <hold up menacing implement> where the sun doesn't shine." No swearing involved! And I can look menacing when I want to... My Mum doesn't swear. Apart from that time when some dumb woman drove across a main road we were travelling along, and my Dad had to do an emergency stop. That was pretty much the first time I've heard my Mum swear and that was only March this year :chuckle

I try not to swear but sometimes it just... happens.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by Straight4ward »

TeeferTiger wrote:Also, isn't all swearing pointless? It's a sign of a poor vocabulary... :whistle
On the contrary. Swearing can be used to great effect. Providing that it is not over used, it adds dramatic emphasis.

- - and yes DGP's right, it sounds even more dramatic in broad Scots!
frog 01 gif.php.gif
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by fishtank »

Women should never ever swear tigger.
Cussing is for the men folk.
On a woman it just sounds...Essex. :nervous :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:Women should never ever swear tigger.
Cussing is for the men folk.
On a woman it just sounds...Essex. :nervous :chuckle
:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

My swearing has been severely curtailed since the new renovations allow people in the callers office queueing for their parcels to hear every word :sad: Ours was an office manager who deplored swearing and I was always being warned about it and still am. I think all ex-servicemen swear a lot it was part and parcel of army life if you wanted someone to do something it emphasised the urgency by the number of swear words involved.
twobags
Posts: 299
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
Gender: Male

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by twobags »

t b t wrote 1. Keep on Topic. inpart of his response to the thread, which most threads i see either alter at some point as this one has to swearing "SIGH" why as adults should you be offended by a word some one says ,sometimes there is no other word that will suffice but a swear word, the words you talk of have been around for along time look at the smilies to the right of your screen , you can call me what you want just dont treat me like one. when i joined royal mail a few years ago it was like i had stepped back in time the creak of dinosaurs could be heard now i can also hear in the background is " no future no future" [sex pistols] stylee :nana
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

twobags wrote:t b t wrote 1. Keep on Topic. inpart of his response to the thread, which most threads i see either alter at some point as this one has to swearing "SIGH" why as adults should you be offended by a word some one says ,sometimes there is no other word that will suffice but a swear word, the words you talk of have been around for along time look at the smilies to the right of your screen , you can call me what you want just dont treat me like one. when i joined royal mail a few years ago it was like i had stepped back in time the creak of dinosaurs could be heard now i can also hear in the background is " no future no future" [sex pistols] stylee :nana
Just to clarify although I don't use swear words in mixed company I do use them and I am not offended by them. Swearing and abuse are 2 different animals.

Saying you f***ing w****r, your all idiots, just f**k off you prat - they are all abuse when aimed at one person or a group and they do break the rules of RMC no question.
In contrast, saying today was a total f****r, or the idiots at my office or The Union hierarchy are total f**k wits - whilst showing anger are not abuse and are acceptable.

Why is one acceptable and not the other. Well to my mind once you make it personal or aimed at a single individual or members on here it is abuse pure and simple. If its aimed at no one in particular and is obviously used to underline a pertinent fact then its not abuse and I personally would let it ride. However, obviously there will always be grey areas, and that's why you have moderators. We have to make a ruling when someone reports a post, or when we see one ourselves. Being human we may disagree with each other, and we may even get it wrong or over react, however, you can always PM the moderator and ask for an explanation in most cases, if not all, we are quite willing to explain further or even debate the issue.

The thread I locked to my mind certainly contained abuse even though it was aimed at FTs or PTs and as soon as it started the thread degenerated and lost its original purpose. So even though there is a rule about trying to circumvent the swear filter its not one we enforce a lot, nor will we in the future, but the CONTEXT is all important.

I think its also fair to remember that RMC is very lightly moderating when compared to other forums past and present. There are a few members on here who well remember being banned from the first incarnation of PostmanChat, and some said that it was only because they disagreed with the owner. I can't pass comment on that but I don't think RMC could ever be accused of Moderating to that degree. (If we were .........) :Very Happy
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Re Locking Threads - fao TBT

Post by POSTMAN »

Swearing hasn't been mentioned by teebs or me for that matter. Others are talking about it.
Hardly anyone has ever been pulled up for swearing unless it's seriously ott.

I don't get it though,a thread is locked once in a blue moon and all hell breaks loose.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.