ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of them

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of

Post by DirtyHarry »

Sliders wrote:I am just wondering how RM actually know if your delivering all of your D2D ? I mean they go through all the trouble of getting us to sign sheets saying that we did do the d2d for this street etc etc, but how do they actually verify that the d2d actually have been done. Do they have undercover workers spying on posties on their walk ? or is that part of the managers duties, to go out and spy on the posties. Maybe they send letters out asking customers if they got their d2d this week, or it could be just pure trust between RM and its posties.
D2D is just s**t, mate.
They couldn't really give a Monkey's for s**t from pizza hut or whatever, and neither do most of us. :cuppa
Sliders
Posts: 184
Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 16:56
Gender: Male

Re: D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of

Post by Sliders »

Indy wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote: Yes they have many ways of testing to see if D2Ds are being done at the delivery point.

1. IB do checks if they have reports of non delivery.
2. Managers are meant to contact a certain number of households to check.
3. There are "customers" working for oversight organisations that report their daily and weekly post.
4. Marketing companies do their own sample checks.
5. Royal Mail send out surveys with post and there may be a question about D2Ds in there.
6. I believe but not 100% certain that there are teams in each region which do doorstep checks for D2Ds.

1 - 4 I am certain about
5&6 I have heard but not certain about.
Judging by the amount of junk mail I get I'd find it amazing if there was any concerted effort on RM's part to check d2d deliveries especially EVERY door.

I suspect whats more likely to happen is that if a company complains that the response was substantially less than expected or d2d were found dumped etc then RM would look into it. RM don't check your delivering your stamped mail UNLESS an issue arrises i.e. lots of complaints from your walk about missing mail etc.
I agree Indy, especially point six, I doubt that RM would spend so much money on employing teams to actually check if d2d's are delivered. I mean the profit margins must be wafer thin as it is on these things, without spending shed loads employing people to see if they are actually delivered. IMHO I reckon its down to trust, and also as Indy says if a postie is acting suspicious and the RM are tipped off about their behaviour, then they may be checked upon.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of

Post by fishtank »

Sliders wrote: I agree Indy, especially point six, I doubt that RM would spend so much money on employing teams to actually check if d2d's are delivered. I mean the profit margins must be wafer thin as it is on these things, without spending shed loads employing people to see if they are actually delivered.
https://rmselfrecruit.research-int.com/ ... ivate.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How hard would it be to get these panellists to monitor and report on the D2D they receive? :whistle
...and all for the princely sum of 12 First Class stamps and 4 Large Letter stamps every month as a thank you.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of

Post by halfull »

eastie wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Indy wrote: EDIT: * I've never actually attempted to dump d2d as I'd find the hassle and stress of doing that worse than actually delivering them. I hate d2d just like anyone else BUT its not worth losing my job over so I just grin, bare it and deliver them all as quickly as possible i.e. light monday/tuesdays

I actually find prepping and delivering 1/6 per day has taken a lot of the hassle out of delivering D2D.
I know exactly which doors get it and when and my floater knows exactly what he has to do. :neutral:
1/6 ?? do you deliver on a saturday then
1/5 in our office mon-fri
no its not 1/5th thats just what people do to make sure they dont have any d2drs on a sat! the rules are 1/6th per day!
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of

Post by Straight4ward »

Someone knows!

Inadvertantly, we delivered one this week that should not have gone out until next week.

I've no idea who picked up on it, or how, but our lino got his arsed tanned because of it. :chuckle

So someone, somewhere is keeping tabs on the poxy things.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of

Post by Indy »

daveyeff wrote:
Indy wrote:
fishtank wrote:then you have to find somewhere to get rid of them so you start bumping them on other people then you have a really busy week....start getting cocky....and get caught.
100% agree!

Its nothing to do with checking if people got them its getting rid of the ones you can't be bothered to deliver... thats the hard part. All d2d here are walk marked to stop people dumping them on other walks. I've never known anyone sacked for not actually delivering them its always be that they've been unable to explain why they've got 200 from 2 weeks ago in a pouch drop etc.
well, as for them being marked,,yes, but on the top of the bundle only
DOM pays his favourite to go round with coloured markers to swipe the spines of d2d so if they're found dumped outside or on another persons walk then its known where they originated. There was a huge problem with people dumping d2d on other peoples walks. This stopped that practice dead.
ElvisGaddafi
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of

Post by ElvisGaddafi »

We had a young guy sacked for dumping D2Ds in the pile to be returned. They weren't in a box and had no labels on or amongst them. But they knew they were his. Obviously some of the individual leaflets are marked in some way.
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
vigilante
Posts: 1155
Joined: 20 May 2007, 19:13
Gender: Male
Location: dangerously close

Re: D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of

Post by vigilante »

Sime83 wrote:We do 1/6 a day, each fitting has a sheet attached to it so that everyone knows which are done from Mon to Sat. 1/6 doesn't seem bad at all - not much hassle.

No hassle to throw off,true.
Only problem is delivering dedicated 1/6 to rurals where you have long farm lanes and isolated delivery points.
Our sector has been told by DSM/division CWU, we MUST deliver to every DP in that 1/6 without exception.
Always be one step ahead, play their game but be wiser. Revenge is sweet.
vigilante
Posts: 1155
Joined: 20 May 2007, 19:13
Gender: Male
Location: dangerously close

Re: D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of

Post by vigilante »

That is pre-revision taking in consideration that the rural have never been tested properly!
Geo-route parameters are supposed to allow for this by addition of around 3% to the call rate, if I recall. :hmmmm
Always be one step ahead, play their game but be wiser. Revenge is sweet.
cityfan39
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 43
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 10:41
Gender: Male

Re: D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of

Post by cityfan39 »

All it is, is shitty junk mail, no arguments
about it. How many customers thank you
for delivering it to them, none that's
right. I used to get either a " f!!!!!! hell
or bloody hell, not more s**t" then they
proceeded to recycle it in their blue box.
The government have threatened to look
into this type of mail to see if it's more
trouble than it's worth.
But then again they threaten a lot, and
never deliver.
sidewinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 348
Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
Gender: Male

Re: D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of

Post by sidewinder »

About 10 years ago one of my a4 sized packet split. The contents fell out and it was a folder that had charts for the person to write on about what d2ds were being delivered what day, if they were inside each other or separate that sort of thing. They had to send each month one of these reports but I can't remember where. So it does or did get checked. Needless to say that road got all d2ds done. I don't even recall if it was rm that sent it out.
Before I left though they were marking the bundles because mainly the dumping of the things all over the office.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: D2D how do RM know that your actually delivering all of

Post by OnAFlyer »

ElvisGaddafi wrote:We had a young guy sacked for dumping D2Ds in the pile to be returned. They weren't in a box and had no labels on or amongst them. But they knew they were his. Obviously some of the individual leaflets are marked in some way.
Or someone actually saw him doing it :Very Happy

One guy in my office never took any D2D, ever. I knew him quite well and know for definite he didn't take any. He ended up getting sacked for stealing packets but nothing was ever said about the D2D.

I would imagaine it's quite difficult to actually check D2D deliveries. If someone knocked on my door asking what D2D i've had delivered on any given week I wouldn't even know as they go straight in the bin.