ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry office

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by clashcityrocker »

Doesn't anyone file them away according to the delivery route?
All one postman's returned packets are on one shelf.

It is immediately obvious who is doorstepping because their shelf is empty.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by dvbuk55 »

Ah, the callers office/RLE, a wonderful environment, no stress, no abuse, parcels and packets in orderly rows, 739s completed immaculately and there the dream ends!

Last year the local rag had a headline about the callers office at xmas, complete with photos of the queue out of the building and down the road, complete with anecdotes from joe public "I waited an hour and they couldn't find my parcel", "I'm 70 years old and stood in the snow for 40 minutes". This year there has been a master stroke to combat that experience - what is it I hear you ask, get enough staff in to clear the queue you might think - no, much more involved than that - knock holes through several walls, creating a dust hazard close to a sandstorm in the sahara, make the space for staff to work in smaller, with a laughable space for the packets, which are overflowing now, and an even smaller space for the locker. The callers office has now been enlarged so the customer isn't queueing in the cold - still queueing of course but hidden from prying eyes of the local rag. And the cost.............well it would pay for additional staff for about 5 years....................no contest really................well if you are an RM strategist that is.

In truth something needed to be done but at this time of year when the volume of customers and packets are at its peak and the planning was rushed and ill thought out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mazza111
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 877
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 16:30
Gender: Female

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by mazza111 »

Seen one office like that Clash, went in and couldn't find a thing :left: Ideal if the P739 is accurate, if it's a stranger in there helping out who doesn't know the duties.... All our packets were kept in different places too. Packets in main office, everything else thru the back office.
human1
Posts: 223
Joined: 04 Aug 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by human1 »

Very busy in our Callers office yesterday, nearly 400 items were booked on computer as notice left. We still serve a customer with in a mintue. ( last night , wednesday, late opening , 70 customers between 6pm -- 8pm).
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by TeeferTiger »

clashcityrocker wrote:Doesn't anyone file them away according to the delivery route?
All one postman's returned packets are on one shelf.

It is immediately obvious who is doorstepping because their shelf is empty.
If you're helping out at another office, or new to the RLE, or you've no idea who's delivered it or who's duty it's on cos it's a rural... Definitely easier to just file by the road name!
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by Stormproof »

Don't think we'd have the space Clash.......... 145 shelves, they are still waiting on shelving I requested 3 years ago :left:
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by DGP1 »

My office files by duty numbers (I think I'll be starting my york early this year) and on the bottom of the P739 is a little space to put the duty number......so it's simple for everyone (just as long as I fill the P739 in properly :wink: ).
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by TeeferTiger »

DGP1 wrote:My office files by duty numbers (I think I'll be starting my york early this year) and on the bottom of the P739 is a little space to put the duty number......so it's simple for everyone (just as long as I fill the P739 in properly :wink: ).
And there's the irony... If they can't even put the address on it half the time, how do they manage to fill the bottom part in too?! lol That's "non essential" info!
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by clashcityrocker »

TeeferTiger wrote:
DGP1 wrote:My office files by duty numbers (I think I'll be starting my york early this year) and on the bottom of the P739 is a little space to put the duty number......so it's simple for everyone (just as long as I fill the P739 in properly :wink: ).
And there's the irony... If they can't even put the address on it half the time, how do they manage to fill the bottom part in too?! lol That's "non essential" info!
That's a training issue.
Where is the workplace coach? :wave
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
kawoxux
Posts: 300
Joined: 18 Aug 2011, 19:36
Gender: Male

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by kawoxux »

Although ive never done it judging by what it looks like I can't think of anything worse. I leave the office.. queues out the door.. come back (with a bulging sack of 739d packets).. queues out the door :shock: I mean I assume they're the two busiest parts of the day ie just after opening and just after lunchtime, but it seems like getting abuse for something you have no control over (someone losing a packet/someone "not knocking" ( :roll: )/etc..)
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by TeeferTiger »

clashcityrocker wrote:
TeeferTiger wrote:
DGP1 wrote:My office files by duty numbers (I think I'll be starting my york early this year) and on the bottom of the P739 is a little space to put the duty number......so it's simple for everyone (just as long as I fill the P739 in properly :wink: ).
And there's the irony... If they can't even put the address on it half the time, how do they manage to fill the bottom part in too?! lol That's "non essential" info!
That's a training issue.
Where is the workplace coach? :wave
I was the workplace coach!! lol You can tell them until you're blue in the face, they're just lazy fuggers :chuckle

They're more likely to put the road name on, so we went with the highest success rate :nana
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by DGP1 »

TeeferTiger wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
TeeferTiger wrote:
DGP1 wrote:My office files by duty numbers (I think I'll be starting my york early this year) and on the bottom of the P739 is a little space to put the duty number......so it's simple for everyone (just as long as I fill the P739 in properly :wink: ).
And there's the irony... If they can't even put the address on it half the time, how do they manage to fill the bottom part in too?! lol That's "non essential" info!
That's a training issue.
Where is the workplace coach? :wave
I was the workplace coach!! lol You can tell them until you're blue in the face, they're just lazy fuggers :chuckle

They're more likely to put the road name on, so we went with the highest success rate :nana
TBH Sometimes I forget to put some details on the P739s but that's only because I'm under a bit of pressure and forget to tick a box...............still, I always put my duty number on it so it's not really that difficult to find :nervous
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Jaggs
Posts: 139
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 11:18
Gender: Male

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by Jaggs »

Well it was fun in our callers office for our late opening this week. Supposedly one person on their own is enough to staff it. Between 4pm and 6pm today we had 6 people constantly dealing with customers yet the queue still ended up going down the street.
confusednewpostie
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Oct 2009, 11:41
Gender: Male

Re: lack of space and lack of staffing in callers/enquiry of

Post by confusednewpostie »

kawoxux wrote:Although ive never done it judging by what it looks like I can't think of anything worse. I leave the office.. queues out the door.. come back (with a bulging sack of 739d packets).. queues out the door :shock: I mean I assume they're the two busiest parts of the day ie just after opening and just after lunchtime, but it seems like getting abuse for something you have no control over (someone losing a packet/someone "not knocking" ( :roll: )/etc..)
I know the AMOUNT of times i ve had, "they never chapped my door" at the callers window is laughable!
I even had a woman say this and it was a parcel i had delivered earlier that morning about 7:20am (lights all out, 3 cars in the driveway, curtains all drawn) so i explained it's in our interest to get rid of it specially the walking posties so they dont have to carry it with them the rest of their duty.
Honestly just be HONEST it goes a long way, you were in your bed or you were in the shower, or you were upstairs hoovering, but no, everytime it's, "did you chap the door"??
Na i drove all the way out to your house in the pitch black pissing rain, so i could NOT chap your door, and then stand their even longer writing out a P739 card, only to jump back in the van again with the parcel bring it back to the depot and have you come down here 2 hours later all refreshed from your long ly and tell me how i didn't chap your door!
Quality!