RedBagMan wrote:Had a sign-for today - bloke signed for it - and 5 mins later he's chasing me down the street saying "This isn't ours !" Checked through the rest of that street's bundle and found the "right address" ("16" rather than 1A" - so I pushed it through - with a scribbled 739 explaining the full story (why don't 739s have a "blank space" for notes/comments/explanations ??). Twenty mins later - coming down the other side of the street - customer arrives at home - go thru explanation yet again - they're happy (got packet) - I'm happy (got signature).
The whole sign-for thing scares me sh*tless at times - caution IS the watchword ..(especially if you're a floater/on a new walk).
As said.why exactly did you feel that you could just post the item through?
Deliver as addressed,especially signed for's,especially reg.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been. My BFF Clash The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
RedBagMan wrote:Had a sign-for today - bloke signed for it - and 5 mins later he's chasing me down the street saying "This isn't ours !" Checked through the rest of that street's bundle and found the "right address" ("16" rather than 1A" - so I pushed it through - with a scribbled 739 explaining the full story (why don't 739s have a "blank space" for notes/comments/explanations ??). Twenty mins later - coming down the other side of the street - customer arrives at home - go thru explanation yet again - they're happy (got packet) - I'm happy (got signature).
The whole sign-for thing scares me sh*tless at times - caution IS the watchword ..(especially if you're a floater/on a new walk).
As said.why exactly did you feel that you could just post the item through?
Take your point - just felt at the time that having a signature (albeit the wrong 'un) would cover all eventualities - plus my explanatory note to correct address - in hindsight probably wrong. Maybe could have left it with "wrong address" for them to deliver to "correct address" ? Or (more likely) scrubbed out entry on 4550 and re-done it ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
Well yes you could actually have said to the first guy who chased you down the street 'Sorry I've delivered that to you now and you've signed for it so I can't take it back I'm afraid, but I know now it's for 16 so can you put it through for me?'. That would have been fine and you couldn't be reprimanded for that. But as soon as you took it back you were then responsible for it again and were required to get a signature from 16 on delivering it to them. As you didn't you could have been reprimanded for that. It's amazing people sign for things they don't even look at properly.
Bluntly, you are not paid to show initiative or thought, you deliver to the address on the item. If this comes back to haunt you they will cut you off at the knees and you will be a saving for the business as they will not have to pay to get you out the door. you will be going cheep cheep
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
bogstandard wrote:If you want to get paid to make decisions become a manager
.... outside of Royal Mail
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
POSTMAN wrote:Deliver as addressed,especially signed for's,especially reg.
I had a letter that was addressed to 12 instead of 12a, i delivered it as addressed and a few days later a complaint of mis-delivery came through from customer care.
I had a special the other week addressed to 3a and it should have been 13a. I knew the names so delivered it to 13a. No thank you or anything for not delivering it to the address on the label.
My advice is just do what you think is right, You can't win whatever you do.
bogstandard wrote:Bluntly, you are not paid to show initiative or thought
Truly a sad way to look at the job - surely you want to feel (and behave) a cut above the burger flippers ?
If only for one's own self-respect - you'll be telling me next to delete the word "discretion" from my vocabulary (or to just leave the house keys in an unlocked door rather than lock it and pass them to a neighbour (like what I did last week as well)
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
Not wishing to cause offence but there's nothing wrong with flipping burgers for a living, nor do i feel the need to be a cut above anyone as I don't fell that I am of any less value than others.
I can see how you might feel this is a sad way to look at the job however it is factually accurate, and the remainder of the post (imho) explains why.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
So - surely that is the root problem with Royal Mail - or at least certain parts/regions/offices - this whole "climate of fear" - where people feel they need to reduce themselves to mindless automatons purely to stay in employment ... sorry I just can't do that - I have a brain that (occasionally !) needs exercising.
Worth noting however that this fear mentality is NOT confined to RM - the grass certainly ain't greener outside the DO ... amazing what a recession and a crap government can do (and I'm talking Labour or ConDem).
Still - there's always the lottery
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...