ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

missing packet

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2060
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: missing packet

Post by scoobydo79 »

Jesus H Christ!!!!!
Isnt the idea that the named person on the packet signs for the the packet or at least some one who lives in the same house? wHATS THE POINT OF THE F---- POSTMAN SIGNING :arrrghhh
Wiggins79
Posts: 182
Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 11:25
Gender: Male

Re: missing packet

Post by Wiggins79 »

I'm a bit like Howard Hawks when it comes to obsessing over other peoples germs. One time a girl answered the door when I knocked with a Recorded letter- she was clearly full of cold and recoiling in horror, I told her I didn't want to catch her cold so I'd sign for the item instead and hand it over. She agreed and off I went on my merry way. Big mistake. Turns out her father was a engineering manager (or summat) in the main sorting office in town. Because he was obviously a bit of a prat he decided he would try to get me nailed for it, claiming I had breached the law by fraudulently signing for an item that wasn't for me. The affair is a bit long-winded to go into, but in the end the result was he was told to drop it. Even now, I'm still sorely tempted to post a bag of dog s**t through his letterbox.
Anyway: the moral of the story is- NEVER EVER sign for someone, no matter what anyone else says or does. It just ain't worth it. Even if you are a germ-paranoid freako like me.
I never did catch a cold that winter though. :nana
bottletree
Posts: 35
Joined: 19 Mar 2010, 20:53
Gender: Male

Re: missing packet

Post by bottletree »

My manager for the last 2 xmas's has allowed me to sign "his" name on the card for "special delivery items" and post them through. I feel sorry for a lot of you posties out there with cr@p managers. My gaffer is a mate and a superb man manager.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: missing packet

Post by dvbuk55 »

bottletree wrote:My manager for the last 2 xmas's has allowed me to sign "his" name on the card for "special delivery items" and post them through. I feel sorry for a lot of you posties out there with cr@p managers. My gaffer is a mate and a superb man manager.
No he isn't. He is advocating wrong doing and flying in the face of Royal Mail procedure. The likelihood is he will get sacked if the kak hits the fan and all for what?

As for sacking - it would depend on what it is. One of our drivers thought he was doing an old age pensioner a favour by signing for flowers for her birthday and leaving them in her porch instead of going to the callers - at the side of her wheelchair incidentally. She rang in to complain and he WAS sacked - he now works for a rival who is not quite so particular.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: missing packet

Post by DGP1 »

bottletree wrote:My manager for the last 2 xmas's has allowed me to sign "his" name on the card for "special delivery items" and post them through. I feel sorry for a lot of you posties out there with cr@p managers. My gaffer is a mate and a superb man manager.
:roll: If the manager allows you to sign his name then maybe you should just get him to actually sign it.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
bottletree
Posts: 35
Joined: 19 Mar 2010, 20:53
Gender: Male

Re: missing packet

Post by bottletree »

DGP1 wrote:
bottletree wrote:My manager for the last 2 xmas's has allowed me to sign "his" name on the card for "special delivery items" and post them through. I feel sorry for a lot of you posties out there with cr@p managers. My gaffer is a mate and a superb man manager.
:roll: If the manager allows you to sign his name then maybe you should just get him to actually sign it.
Ha Ha I will do next time. It will save me a few seconds.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2060
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: missing packet

Post by scoobydo79 »

bottletree wrote:My manager for the last 2 xmas's has allowed me to sign "his" name on the card for "special delivery items" and post them through. I feel sorry for a lot of you posties out there with cr@p managers. My gaffer is a mate and a superb man manager.
He is putting you in a position where you can expect a written warning or the sack when things go wrong!!!! :no no
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: missing packet

Post by TeeferTiger »

Yeah... that's sort of actually worse than just signing your own name?! Signing someone else's name... isn't that like fraud?! In fact, I think someone in my old office was on a 2 year serious or something for that.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: missing packet

Post by fishtank »

bottletree wrote:My manager for the last 2 xmas's has allowed me to sign "his" name on the card for "special delivery items" and post them through. I feel sorry for a lot of you posties out there with cr@p managers. My gaffer is a mate and a superb man manager.
Your manager is probably on something like £30k,probably has kids and a mortgage.
Where do you think your mate's priorities will lie if the s**t hits the fan and a customer denies getting a special?
Be honest.....think about it....save himself....or save you?
:funneh superb man manager :left:
You got that right. :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: missing packet

Post by hampshireman »

bottletree wrote:My manager for the last 2 xmas's has allowed me to sign "his" name on the card for "special delivery items" and post them through. I feel sorry for a lot of you posties out there with cr@p managers. My gaffer is a mate and a superb man manager.
This is a wind up ... surely? Please let it be a wind up
AdTheBad
Posts: 68
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: missing packet

Post by AdTheBad »

I think the whole post is a wind up. So how did it turn out siddy. You seem to know alot about something somebody else did. howdya know the type and position of mail box and howdya know a postie signed it her/hisself and howdya know packets missin?
dont you have access to conduct code?
I smells a rat.
paddytoon
Posts: 16
Joined: 03 Jun 2011, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: missing packet

Post by paddytoon »

The Top line is:
You have doorstepped or signed for things all your career, and will have probably got away with it for years.
However it only takes one complaint. Out of greed for the compensation or replacement item or lack of communication between the person who was the addressee and the person finding it on the mat It is very easy to complain through Cleo. "It says it was signed for by me, that's not my signature and I never got that item".

Unless you've written down or entered into the PDA the name of the actual person who's signature you obtained, and can offer proof to convince Royal Mail that it was delivered to that address and a household member signed for it, Royal Mail will presume you did not deliver it. If YOU signed for it you can expect to be dismissed even for a first offense. If you signed for it using someone elses name you can expect the sack and possible Fraud charges.

Royal Mail make it plain. If you cannot obtain a signature at the address on the item, P739 card it and bring it back. PHG's & DOM's are all for you signing and leaving until the s**t hits the fan then it's all denied.
Why posties think it's OK to just leave stuff is beyond me. I thought I was doing the customer a favour! The customer is not the person you are delivering it to. It's the person who paid 77p /£4.90 extra to have you obtain a signature that tells them the item has been delivered to the address. Do yourself a favour and bring it back.
AdTheBad
Posts: 68
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: missing packet

Post by AdTheBad »

Bump.
I wanna know what happened next...........
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: missing packet

Post by clashcityrocker »

Wiggins79 wrote:I'm a bit like Howard Hawks
Do you mean Howard Hughes?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: missing packet

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Wiggins79 wrote:I'm a bit like Howard Hawks
Do you mean Howard Hughes?
Trivia.
Howard Hughes and Howard Hawks both worked on the 1932 film Scarface.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share