ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Tman wrote:
I fail to see how some people choosing not to buy a poppy could possibly "spoil a solemn occasion"
Is this obtusity natural or assumed? What would spoil the solemn occasion is people insisting on giving thier political views at inappropriate moments,such as during the two minutes silence, which is the gist of this thread.

and I can't find any "pseudo-political "me-me-me" comment on here.
Could be there's a whole wide world outside of RMC though, and you might find it there... :roll:
Most people would have understood my "I stopped for two minutes" comment as meaning that I remained silent then too as I am not one of those very few people who would spoil the solemn occasion by insisting on giving thier political views at inappropriate moments. However I fell at liberty during the remaining 525596 minutes of the year to offer my opinions on this and other matters, and you of course are welcome to disagree with me. :Very Happy
As for searching the whole wide world for pseudo-political "me-me-me" comments that's something I've simply not got time for. :crazy:
Carp
Posts: 119
Joined: 19 Aug 2011, 22:00
Gender: Male

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by Carp »

Fistly a big well done too all fellow posties for remembering the past and present soldiers who have and did a fantastic job on there tour of duties.NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE should even doubt it otherwise.Unless you are one of these ungrateful scumbags.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Remembering as I do those who fought in two world wars for tollerance, and peace and justice too of course, I'm saddened and disappointed that this of all threads has been marred by the use of language such as 'arse' and ' scumbag' :sad: but that's the youth of today for you. :shock:
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by Tman »

Most people would have understood my "I stopped for two minutes" comment as meaning that I remained silent then too as I am not one of those very few people who would spoil the solemn occasion by insisting on giving thier political views at inappropriate moments.


Don't really know why you keep attempting to bring this down to a solely personal level. The point is about people in general rather than you in particular.


As for searching the whole wide world for pseudo-political "me-me-me" comments that's something I've simply not got time for. :crazy:
Sadly you don't need to search, you hear those comments whether you want to or not. {Again, this doesn't necessarily mean "you" personally, Mr Lizard.... :crazy: although you apparently do have enough to time to keep posting here...}
Carp
Posts: 119
Joined: 19 Aug 2011, 22:00
Gender: Male

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by Carp »

Lounge Lizard wrote:Remembering as I do those who fought in two world wars for tollerance, and peace and justice too of course, I'm saddened and disappointed that this of all threads has been marred by the use of language such as 'arse' and ' scumbag' :sad: but that's the youth of today for you. :shock:
Lounge Lizard i have not yet sussed out your point,as to me you have been trying to pick a argument with every member that has replied in good faith towards the remembering of our heroes.Fair dos' you respect the World 1 and 2 heroes.However there have been plenty wars since then as well.
You remind me of someone at my work.His attitude is tough they volunteered :evil/mad ungrateful scumbag,he is.I think yourself will have to have a proper chat to all veterns and familys to understand the importance of it all before you voice your comments.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

The ludicrous suggestion that I am "attempting to bring this down to a solely personal level" and that "the point is about people in general rather than you in particular" suggests either a mind boggling ignorance of discussion forums being a place for individuals to post their personal opinions or is Tman's pathetic alternative to attempting to offer construtive comments contrary to and answering the views I have expressed on this subject.
Yes, I do apparently have enough time to keep posting here and so too do 'Tman' and 'andy prentice'.
Andy, as you have not yet sussed out my point yet just try slowly and carefully reading my posts on this thread again and you just might realise why I no longer buy poppies - and if you were more familiar with reasoned debate you might realise that offering a different point of view can't simply be dismissed as 'trying to pick a argument'.
Furthermore as someone with much more experience of the Ministry of Defence than most members of this forum I see little need for me to 'have a proper chat to all veterns and familys'.
twobags
Posts: 299
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
Gender: Male

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by twobags »

Lounge Lizard wrote:I stopped for two minutes remembering those I knew who fought in the First or Second World War.
I no longer buy a poppy though as they are increasingly being seen as a symbol of support for this countries recent unjustified or illfated military adventures abroad.
all you had to say was yes i stopped , there was absolute no need for the cheap shot you took after ,there are good men doing a hard job right now and dying ,they are no different to any service man of any era the poppy is as much for them as any one the conflict is not what this thread is about, :no no :no no
bedfordrl
Posts: 386
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 22:16
Gender: Male
Location: North East Hampshire

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by bedfordrl »

twobags wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:I stopped for two minutes remembering those I knew who fought in the First or Second World War.
I no longer buy a poppy though as they are increasingly being seen as a symbol of support for this countries recent unjustified or illfated military adventures abroad.
all you had to say was yes i stopped , there was absolute no need for the cheap shot you took after ,there are good men doing a hard job right now and dying ,they are no different to any service man of any era the poppy is as much for them as any one the conflict is not what this thread is about, :no no :no no
I am working to ,hopefully, be deployed somewhen around the end of next year, if I get killed how about buying a poppy to remember a Postman/Soldier ,amongst others,who tried to make a difference rather than thinking the poppy representing something political ?.
twobags
Posts: 299
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
Gender: Male

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by twobags »

bedfordrl wrote:
twobags wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:I stopped for two minutes remembering those I knew who fought in the First or Second World War.
I no longer buy a poppy though as they are increasingly being seen as a symbol of support for this countries recent unjustified or illfated military adventures abroad.
all you had to say was yes i stopped , there was absolute no need for the cheap shot you took after ,there are good men doing a hard job right now and dying ,they are no different to any service man of any era the poppy is as much for them as any one the conflict is not what this thread is about, :no no :no no
I am working to ,hopefully, be deployed somewhen around the end of next year, if I get killed how about buying a poppy to remember a Postman/Soldier ,amongst others,who tried to make a difference rather than thinking the poppy representing something political ?.
:Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause well said the poppy is about remembering and respecting the person/people not about the conflict/politics good luck to you and the mob you deploy with next year if it comes about ,
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by TeeferTiger »

bedfordrl wrote:
twobags wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:I stopped for two minutes remembering those I knew who fought in the First or Second World War.
I no longer buy a poppy though as they are increasingly being seen as a symbol of support for this countries recent unjustified or illfated military adventures abroad.
all you had to say was yes i stopped , there was absolute no need for the cheap shot you took after ,there are good men doing a hard job right now and dying ,they are no different to any service man of any era the poppy is as much for them as any one the conflict is not what this thread is about, :no no :no no
I am working to ,hopefully, be deployed somewhen around the end of next year, if I get killed how about buying a poppy to remember a Postman/Soldier ,amongst others,who tried to make a difference rather than thinking the poppy representing something political ?.
I think you're nucking futs but if that's what you wanna go and do then best of luck to you!
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
twobags
Posts: 299
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
Gender: Male

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by twobags »

twobags wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:I stopped for two minutes remembering those I knew who fought in the First or Second World War.
I no longer buy a poppy though as they are increasingly being seen as a symbol of support for this countries recent unjustified or illfated military adventures abroad.
all you had to say was yes i stopped , there was absolute no need for the cheap shot you took after ,there are good men doing a hard job right now and dying ,they are no different to any service man of any era the poppy is as much for them as any one the conflict is not what this thread is about, :no no :no no
:oops: i should also add there are women doing a good job of the hard job out there :Applause :Applause :Applause
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by Tman »

"
Lounge Lizard"]The ludicrous suggestion that I am "attempting to bring this down to a solely personal level" and that "the point is about people in general rather than you in particular" suggests either a mind boggling ignorance of discussion forums
Really? Here's three separate instances of you doing just that-

1)Most people would have understood my "I stopped for two minutes" comment as meaning that I remained silent

2)Having stated that "I stopped for two minutes" I've no idea how you can imply that I might have spoken that, or anything else, at the eleventh hour on the eleventh day.


3)Calling someone, presumably me, an 'arse'

Are those not written from a first person perspective? Did I say you didn't remain silent, imply that you spoke, or that you were an arse?
You do realise that a in thread titled as "Did you stop for 2 minutes" the word "you" didn't just mean you personally, and that any reply I made regarding some people's disrespectful behaviour wasn't written with you in mind? :nervous Let's hope so, anyway.... :nervous :nervous



being a place for individuals to post their personal opinions or is Tman's pathetic alternative to attempting to offer construtive comments contrary to and answering the views I have expressed on this subject.
Hmmm... see above. Thinking that when replying, it was actually you in person I was solely replying to, is a bit of a give-away that forums ain't your natural habitat.... :whistle although using negative condemnatory words like "pathetic" pretty much reinforces that point.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Had this been opened as a 'Did you stop for 2 minutes?' POLL then I would have simply voted 'Yes' alongside probably 90% of those taking part.
It was though opened as a thread and I've sure 'muzzy' on starting it didn't expect just 'yes' or 'no' responses, the great majority of threads on discussion forums digressing somewhat from the title.
I'm sure that the issue isn't that I deviated slightly from the topic title but that my views are contrary to some members of this forum including 'Tman' and 'andy prentice'.
I've no idea what the "cheap shot" allegation is based on and am not aware of having criticised current service personnel.
I wish the TA and others a safe return, especially if they're trying to make a difference, and won't go into the reasons why, in a previous employment, I didn't offer to work in Iraq during the war there.
I'm somewhat confused by Tman's comments, the first person perspective being what is used to express one's own opinions. Whether or not Tman's comments were written with me in mind, which I certainly thought to be the case, is of little consequence. My use of 'pathetic' was though inappropriate.
twobags
Posts: 299
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
Gender: Male

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by twobags »

Lounge Lizard wrote:Had this been opened as a 'Did you stop for 2 minutes?' POLL then I would have simply voted 'Yes' alongside probably 90% of those taking part.
It was though opened as a thread and I've sure 'muzzy' on starting it didn't expect just 'yes' or 'no' responses, the great majority of threads on discussion forums digressing somewhat from the title.
I'm sure that the issue isn't that I deviated slightly from the topic title but that my views are contrary to some members of this forum including 'Tman' and 'andy prentice'.
I've no idea what the "cheap shot" allegation is based on and am not aware of having criticised current service personnel.
I wish the TA and others a safe return, especially if they're trying to make a difference, and won't go into the reasons why, in a previous employment, I didn't offer to work in Iraq during the war there.
I'm somewhat confused by Tman's comments, the first person perspective being what is used to express one's own opinions. Whether or not Tman's comments were written with me in mind, which I certainly thought to be the case, is of little consequence. My use of 'pathetic' was though inappropriate.
Lounge Lizard wrote:

"I no longer buy a poppy though as they are increasingly being seen as a symbol of support for this countries recent unjustified or illfated military adventures abroad."
this is a cheap shot , there was no need to expand on the fact that you stopped and respected the 2 min silence the way you did :sad:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

twobags wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:Had this been opened as a 'Did you stop for 2 minutes?' POLL then I would have simply voted 'Yes' alongside probably 90% of those taking part.
It was though opened as a thread and I've sure 'muzzy' on starting it didn't expect just 'yes' or 'no' responses, the great majority of threads on discussion forums digressing somewhat from the title.
I'm sure that the issue isn't that I deviated slightly from the topic title but that my views are contrary to some members of this forum including 'Tman' and 'andy prentice'.
I've no idea what the "cheap shot" allegation is based on and am not aware of having criticised current service personnel.
I wish the TA and others a safe return, especially if they're trying to make a difference, and won't go into the reasons why, in a previous employment, I didn't offer to work in Iraq during the war there.
I'm somewhat confused by Tman's comments, the first person perspective being what is used to express one's own opinions. Whether or not Tman's comments were written with me in mind, which I certainly thought to be the case, is of little consequence. My use of 'pathetic' was though inappropriate.
Lounge Lizard wrote:

"I no longer buy a poppy though as they are increasingly being seen as a symbol of support for this countries recent unjustified or illfated military adventures abroad."
this is a cheap shot , there was no need to expand on the fact that you stopped and respected the 2 min silence the way you did :sad:
No, it's not.
Donating to the Royal British Legion by buying a poppy is directly related to the two minutes silence.
If I choose to no longer give to this charity, of all the 161,630 registered charities in England and Wales, then my saying so and why is of some relevance.
I have always cherished freedom of speech, as did those who fought in two World Wars, and would never suggest that anyone I disagree with need not comment, unless it was inapproprioate towards the extent of braking the rules of a forum or laws of the land.