ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Did you stop for 2 minutes?
-
Biker Mouse
- Posts: 543
- Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 18:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
Too right I did! Stopped the van on the main road and got out and stood there for the whole 2 minutes! And I don't care who saw me or what they thought! Remember them!
In Flanders field the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
~~By Major John McCrae, May 1915.
In Flanders field the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
~~By Major John McCrae, May 1915.
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
Yes - bag down, hat off - two minutes on a main road (which was quieter than usual).
You have to ...
You have to ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
I always stop and pay my respects and remember absent friends,I see the point of people wearing white poppies but I think it is wrong to wear them on the same day,remembrance day is to remember the fallen and honour them,pick another day for white poppy day.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
not me
- Posts: 2735
- Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
- Gender: Female
- Location: Uranus
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
yes I did. fell perfectly for me as I had just replenished from a pouch box.
so i just stayed put where i was for the 2 minutes while listening on the radio
actually went by really fast.
so i just stayed put where i was for the 2 minutes while listening on the radio
actually went by really fast.
-
feduppostie
- Posts: 947
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
yep found myself inside today and everyone there respected the full 2 mins on the loading bay
-
kawoxux
- Posts: 300
- Joined: 18 Aug 2011, 19:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
completely skipped my mind im sad to say
I tend to get in "the zone" and dont even think about the time when delivering...
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
Bloody right...set my alarm on my phone due to listening to MP3 player...lot easier if you've got a radio on!
Solved the Poppy Problem by taping one to my skid lid!
Some asshole in the office made a comment...just said, "What have you ever done for your Country"? .....Silence!
Two minutes to remember your mates, doesn't ask a lot does it?
Two minutes to remember your mates, doesn't ask a lot does it?
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
PhilthyPhil
- Posts: 1155
- Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
I arrived at the start of my round at 10.52 so waited in the van until 11.02 before i started so it was ten minuted silence for me. I deliver to a military base so I don't think it would have looked very good if I worked though it (not that I would).
-
Tman
- Posts: 4146
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
Too right. All machines turned off for the two minutes.
{Shame some arse always has to try to make a quasi-political point re supporting current wars and campaigns, though
}
{Shame some arse always has to try to make a quasi-political point re supporting current wars and campaigns, though
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
I think they're increasingly used as misguided patriotism or a fashion symbol unfortunately :( Besides, you don't have to wear one to remember or pay your respects, a fact that a lot of people seem unable to grasp.Lounge Lizard wrote:I stopped for two minutes remembering those I knew who fought in the First or Second World War.
I no longer buy a poppy though as they are increasingly being seen as a symbol of support for this countries recent unjustified or illfated military adventures abroad.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
Just like you don't have to be quiet for two minutes on 11/11 to pay your respects, another fact that a lot of people seem unable to grasp.TeeferTiger wrote:I think they're increasingly used as misguided patriotism or a fashion symbol unfortunately :( Besides, you don't have to wear one to remember or pay your respects, a fact that a lot of people seem unable to grasp.Lounge Lizard wrote:I stopped for two minutes remembering those I knew who fought in the First or Second World War.
I no longer buy a poppy though as they are increasingly being seen as a symbol of support for this countries recent unjustified or illfated military adventures abroad.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
Wasn't that the point of their sacrifice. Defending Freedom of Speech, you can't defend freedom of speech by only allowing one point of view, or deciding for them when and where its appropriate. Of course their sacrifice also defended your right to make such statements as calling someone arse because you don't agree them, or their actions.Tman wrote:Too right. All machines turned off for the two minutes.
{Shame some arse always has to try to make a quasi-political point re supporting current wars and campaigns, though}
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Tman
- Posts: 4146
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
"Freedom of Speech" isn't absolute by any means, and I'm more than happy to chat about current and past military campaigns. However, unless someone is autistic (or something similar) where they can't pick up on people's body language etc, or appreciate that it isn't an appropriate time, then during the two minutes silence really isn't the time or place for that argument.
It's bizarre that as an ex-serviceman you'd even think that the concept of FoS would "allow" someone to act like that, unless you just want to argue the toss too? No, surely not....
It's bizarre that as an ex-serviceman you'd even think that the concept of FoS would "allow" someone to act like that, unless you just want to argue the toss too? No, surely not....
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
Whilst I would not interrupt the 2 minutes silence because for me it brings to mind specific events and friends, I believe that people have the right to air their political views. Even if I disagree with their position and method of protest, as long as its legal and non-violent, I don't believe I have the right to limit their Freedom of Speech.Tman wrote:"Freedom of Speech" isn't absolute by any means, and I'm more than happy to chat about current and past military campaigns. However, unless someone is autistic (or something similar) where they can't pick up on people's body language etc, or appreciate that it isn't an appropriate time, then during the two minutes silence really isn't the time or place for that argument.
It's bizarre that as an ex-serviceman you'd even think that the concept of FoS would "allow" someone to act like that, unless you just want to argue the toss too? No, surely not....
Do I think they are being crass yes I do, but no more crass than calling someone an arse in a thread about remembrance. Neither is that bad, but both are, in my own view, inappropriate. However as neither are illegal then Yes I do believe both are allowed under MY definition of Freedom of Speech.
I conversely think its bizarre that as an ex-serviceman you would expect me to impose my own values on someone else. Ok I would prefer it if everyone observed the 2 minutes silence, but if someone doesn't, then why should I care, my own personal respect and remembrance for the fallen remains unaffected by the actions of others, and that's what really counts.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Did you stop for 2 minutes?
I forgot to add to the end of what I said (as I seem to be doing a lot these days-finishing off my sentences in my headtaurus88 wrote:Just like you don't have to be quiet for two minutes on 11/11 to pay your respects, another fact that a lot of people seem unable to grasp.TeeferTiger wrote:I think they're increasingly used as misguided patriotism or a fashion symbol unfortunately :( Besides, you don't have to wear one to remember or pay your respects, a fact that a lot of people seem unable to grasp.Lounge Lizard wrote:I stopped for two minutes remembering those I knew who fought in the First or Second World War.
I no longer buy a poppy though as they are increasingly being seen as a symbol of support for this countries recent unjustified or illfated military adventures abroad.
We were trying to point out that people might not wear a poppy for a number of reasons, the symbol itself might be offensive to their culture, they might be pacifists, they might not agree with how the RBL are spending the money etc etc etc it doesn't mean they don't remember or respect those that fought in the first or second world wars. I often think about my great grandad and one of his sons who died and wish I'd asked my grandad about them
http://www.doverwarmemorialproject.org. ... namesN.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?