ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why am I going into overtime??

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72774
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Why am I going into overtime??

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I don't know why but when I was out today I thought about this thread. :oops: :oops:

There is a simple reason why you are slower than others who do the round. Its inexperience not of the work, although that will have some effect, but of the duty.

Once you have done a few months on the same duty/duties you speed up. Why.

You don't have to think where the next address is - you go straight to it without thinking.
You don't have to think - where the letterbox is on strange addressees.
If you back streets you know without thinking the best way to do it.
You know the most effective way of bagging up and can take into account days when you have large numbers of packets for one.

It might not be a lot of time saved for each address - but at only 1 or 2 seconds on my delivery it amounts to nearly 30 minutes. On a busy day it will be a lot more.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Why am I going into overtime??

Post by krussel »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I don't know why but when I was out today I thought about this thread. :oops: :oops:

There is a simple reason why you are slower than others who do the round. Its inexperience not of the work, although that will have some effect, but of the duty.

Once you have done a few months on the same duty/duties you speed up. Why.

You don't have to think where the next address is - you go straight to it without thinking.
You don't have to think - where the letterbox is on strange addressees.
If you back streets you know without thinking the best way to do it.
You know the most effective way of bagging up and can take into account days when you have large numbers of packets for one.

It might not be a lot of time saved for each address - but at only 1 or 2 seconds on my delivery it amounts to nearly 30 minutes. On a busy day it will be a lot more.
Yes thats all true enough. We also adopt the rather dangerous flicking though the letter whilst walking tech as well which you can only do with any saftey once you know the walk. :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
ElvisGaddafi
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Why am I going into overtime??

Post by ElvisGaddafi »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:.

It might not be a lot of time saved for each address - but at only 1 or 2 seconds on my delivery it amounts to nearly 30 minutes.
So depending on whether it's 1 or 2 seconds your delivery has either 1800 or 900 delivery points. No wonder you have lots of time to think :Very Happy
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.