ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Too Hot
-
muzzy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Too Hot
I doubt there is a single employer in this country that gives staff free sunblock, except maybe lifeguards on the beaches in Cornwall!
It only takes one person to have some kind of skin reaction to it.
You will be wanting an umbrella next for when it rains.
It only takes one person to have some kind of skin reaction to it.
You will be wanting an umbrella next for when it rains.
-
zidangus
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 19 Aug 2011, 21:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Too Hot
http://www.ralli.co.uk/blog/2011/08/01/ ... r-workers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;singingpostman wrote:Two weeks ago it cost me £1000-00 for me and the missus to find tempratures like these for a week, now I'm getting paid to be out in them, no complaints here, can carry on for another month as fas I am concerned.
Do any other employers really supply sun block to there staff ?
"Employers who read this and think this suggestion is unreasonable should bear in mind that a court found in favour of employees in landmark case in Australia in the last year whereby their employers were sued for failing to have provided sunscreen."
http://www.tuc.org.uk/extras/skincancer.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2001/ ... heobserver" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
hotfudge
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 06 Jan 2011, 15:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: in the grasp of satan (RMG)
Re: Too Hot
how the hell did posties manage all them years ago 
-
muzzy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Too Hot
Australia or parts of it have blazing hot sun 8 or more months of the year. We get about 2 weeks. Hardly comparable
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Too Hot
We were finished before the sun came up hotfudge.hotfudge wrote:how the hell did posties manage all them years ago
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Too Hot
About 28 deg c today but quite nice really as the sun was not burning hot and when you delivered in the shade it was all damp and quite nice to cool down. Really quite enjoyed it 
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
zidangus
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 19 Aug 2011, 21:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Too Hot
muzzy wrote:I doubt there is a single employer in this country that gives staff free sunblock, except maybe lifeguards on the beaches in Cornwall!
It only takes one person to have some kind of skin reaction to it.
You will be wanting an umbrella next for when it rains.
RM have a legal duty to provide adequate protection for its employee's, Im afraid it falls way short in regard to skin cancer and the hazards of working outdoors in the sun. I have not seen one leaflet telling me the dangers of this and what help I have from them to protect myself, yet they spent 15 minutes telling me about a stupid bit of plastic that stops dogs nipping the end of fingers when your delivering.
And I'll think you will find a lot of companies in the world take protecting their employee's from the hazards of outdoor work seriously, its a shame RM is not one of them.
Last edited by zidangus on 30 Sep 2011, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
-
zidangus
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 19 Aug 2011, 21:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Too Hot
How many died of skin cancer due to their work ?hotfudge wrote:how the hell did posties manage all them years ago
Who knows, what I do know is that years ago bosses could do what the hell they liked to employee's as there was few if any laws protecting their safety, thankfully employee's have some protection today and their health and safety is supposed to be protected by law, so that people should not be put in avoidable health risks, such as working for long periods of time in a hot full midday sun without any protection.
-
zidangus
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 19 Aug 2011, 21:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Too Hot
Please read itmuzzy wrote:Australia or parts of it have blazing hot sun 8 or more months of the year. We get about 2 weeks. Hardly comparable
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... ealed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Indeed, more people in Britain die from malignant melanoma - the deadliest form of the disease - than in Australia."
-
muzzy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Too Hot
I don't need educating on skin cancer thanks, my wife works in the plastic surgery outpatients dept at the local hospital and most of their cases are removing skin cancers or benign tumours.
I wouldn't worry, by tuesday it will be a downward spiral in terms of temperature and sunlight
I wouldn't worry, by tuesday it will be a downward spiral in terms of temperature and sunlight
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Too Hot
There are quite a few cases of veterans from Suez and Aden coming down with skin cancer and that is from nearly 50 years ago,my brother was one who was in Aden,the specalist that helped him said it can take that long to come out although 20 to 30 years is more common.muzzy wrote:I don't need educating on skin cancer thanks, my wife works in the plastic surgery outpatients dept at the local hospital and most of their cases are removing skin cancers or benign tumours.
I wouldn't worry, by tuesday it will be a downward spiral in terms of temperature and sunlight
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: Too Hot
You don't need educating? I think you do if you think we are all bitching about nothing. This is going to be a serious issue for many of us who are out in the sun for hours on end year after year. As was said before, this was a relatively minor issue before SDD came in and we were all back in the office at 10 after 1st delivery. Now not getting out of the office until 10 and being out in the heat/sun is going to cause havoc to peoples health. Even the government advice on the sun is to stay out of it between 11am -3pm. How long will it be before someone keels over due to sunstroke?muzzy wrote:I don't need educating on skin cancer thanks, my wife works in the plastic surgery outpatients dept at the local hospital and most of their cases are removing skin cancers or benign tumours.
I wouldn't worry, by tuesday it will be a downward spiral in terms of temperature and sunlight
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
fng
- Posts: 462
- Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Too Hot
[quote="zidangus Why the hell should I have to pay for sunblock while I am out working for RM ? Is it not up to RM and our union to make sure the their members have the correct health and safety, and be putting pressure on RM to make sure that they get it.
So in 20 - 30 years when, heaven forgive, you should get skin cancer, at least you can say....." I showed 'em..... think they could get me to back down and protect myself....they must of thought I was born yesterday"
I've just checked with Thomas cook, they don't provide sun cream either, even though they are trying to get folks to these hotter climes around the world.... guess I'll show them too !
I'm sure you will argue the toss over the rights and wrongs of RM providing it , but in the mean time, please spend 99p on sun cream from Wilko's .....go on..... just for me!
So in 20 - 30 years when, heaven forgive, you should get skin cancer, at least you can say....." I showed 'em..... think they could get me to back down and protect myself....they must of thought I was born yesterday"
I've just checked with Thomas cook, they don't provide sun cream either, even though they are trying to get folks to these hotter climes around the world.... guess I'll show them too !
I'm sure you will argue the toss over the rights and wrongs of RM providing it , but in the mean time, please spend 99p on sun cream from Wilko's .....go on..... just for me!
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
-
zidangus
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 19 Aug 2011, 21:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Too Hot
fng wrote:[quote="zidangus Why the hell should I have to pay for sunblock while I am out working for RM ? Is it not up to RM and our union to make sure the their members have the correct health and safety, and be putting pressure on RM to make sure that they get it.
So in 20 - 30 years when, heaven forgive, you should get skin cancer, at least you can say....." I showed 'em..... think they could get me to back down and protect myself....they must of thought I was born yesterday"
I've just checked with Thomas cook, they don't provide sun cream either, even though they are trying to get folks to these hotter climes around the world.... guess I'll show them too !
I'm sure you will argue the toss over the rights and wrongs of RM providing it , but in the mean time, please spend 99p on sun cream from Wilko's .....go on..... just for me!
Dont worry I do use sunblock on sunny days, my point is why the hell should I have to pay for it, when it is RM legal duty to protect me from health and saftey hazards such as working outdoors in the hot midday sun. I did not pay for my boots from RM so why should I have to pay for sunblock ? Why is wearing the right boots more important than taking measures to protect yourself from harmful solar radiation ?
p.s 99p whats that factor one ??, that will protect me for about one minute on a really hot sunny day. I reckon its you that needs to start spending a bit more money on your sunblock not me
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Too Hot
Work in a bakery, kitchen or chip shop and they'll pay you about £1000 a month for being in those temperatures all year round.singingpostman wrote:Two weeks ago it cost me £1000-00 for me and the missus to find tempratures like these for a week, now I'm getting paid to be out in them, no complaints here, can carry on for another month as fas I am concerned.
Do any other employers really supply sun block to there staff ?