ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Is the job as crap as people make out

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
SteveH
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 49
Joined: 23 Sep 2011, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: Hemel Hempstead (HCN MC)

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by SteveH »

jaylime wrote:I was talking to some people on the train the other day going to watch Man City,we were talking about jobs and they all said"I would love to be a posty".One was a builder,one a accountant and the other a team leader at Tesco.They were also amazed at how much we get payed.I have done 20 years in the job and yes it has gone worse,but its better than alot of jobs out there.My plan is to do 30 years,then I am going to look at working at manchester airport,something i have wanted to do since being a kid.P.S. I agree that its the tools at the top that have no idea that are ruining it.
We should do what the police do - make everyone who works for RM, however high up in the management they end up, even the Leightons, Croziers and Greens, start off by doing at least a year on deliveries.
EmmaRose
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Sep 2011, 20:14
Gender: Female

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by EmmaRose »

DGP1 wrote:
EmmaRose wrote:Ran over a squirrel today ...and it survived...can't be all bad!! :shhhhh vans making a bit of a funny noise though and smells a bit warm :hmmmm
Image
Well then you can't have one of these :chuckle

Image

But if you've run over any dogs then you can have one of these :whistle
It was the Arnold Schwarzenaeger of the squirrel world....PMT form it destroyed my undercarriage!!!! :nervous
robg
Posts: 81
Joined: 21 Jan 2011, 22:41
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by robg »

If the "cold hard reality" of the job market is so bad and it's such a stress free job, why did my intake this year lose 8 out of 14 starters all on full time contracts and with weeks of shadowing.

I'd say the reverse, it's a stressful job but not physically that difficult once you get used to it which this intake did, they left after months not days.

If it was that easy to do just a physical requirement then people would be queuing round the block to get in, but after only 9 months or so in the job I've seen other intakes and under 2 out of 10 remain in employment with Royal Mail in the most recent one.

If they could get away with paying less they would, it's the job that demands the wages at a minimum, it's not some overpaid occupation and the "moaning" is not about walking the streets :dance

The job can be great on a reaonsable day but the wages pay for the other 70% of the time when it's s**t.
Crown_jewel
Posts: 17
Joined: 23 Jun 2011, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by Crown_jewel »

I've been on the job for 7 years now and I still enjoy it a hell of a lot more than the office job I had before I started here. True the hours are longer and the management is getting progressively worse but it's still better than what I had before plus it's a great laugh on the ips and I'm not stuck with a w*****r on my park and loop so I'm quite happy with it!
lekker
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 364
Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 21:26
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by lekker »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
dozandmaxine wrote:i get a bit depressed reading thread after thread about how crap people think the job is and would like to hear some posts from people who have something good to say about the job----- please cheer me up !!!

I have said this before and I'll say it again.

This IS the best job I have ever done. The craic with other posties is excellent, the stress levels are the lowest I have ever had (though I am pretty laid back), the rules and regulations are fairly straightforward, and the non physical side of the job is relatively easy. The physical side is probably the biggest shock for new starters but if you don't push yourself and know your limits then you should be okay.

The down side, no Corporate respect for the front line workers, managerial style that stalin would be proud off, complete lack of trust between the workers and bosses at all levels except 1st line managers, and even then the majority of them don't have people skills. The politics of CWU/Royal Mail and the disconnect which is becoming wider and wider between CWU HQ and the membership.

To boil it down to one statement - The job is excellent, it would be superb if the style of management was changed for the better. Lord Sawyer and even Sir Richard Hooper agree with me. :shock:
I totally agree. I did over 30 years and summed it up as "I love delivering letters but i hate Royal Mail with a passion" :crazy: