ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

No Access.....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: No Access.....

Post by Stormproof »

fishtank wrote:
Stormproof wrote:We've been told by LM's to try for 3 days, if we still can't get in the stuff is to be killed off.
I wouldn't trust an LM's opinion as far as i could throw smoke.
After 3 days...tell them to kill it off. :cuppa
tbh nothing is getting killed off at the moment because no one has time to do their kill offs anymore and you're right about not trusting them.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: No Access.....

Post by REDLETTER »

Write the date on it at the same time it's endorsed "No Access" I had too otherwise the DOM tries and blame you for sh*t not being delivered - Even when you are on holiday!
Eric Cantona
Posts: 365
Joined: 15 Jul 2010, 19:21
Gender: Male

Re: No Access.....

Post by Eric Cantona »

If your DOM was any good he would find out which housing office the building belongs to and get you a fob or a key the same way the residents get in simple as that. If he fobs you off kill the mail off after three days then the residents will kick off, then DOM wil do something believe me.
singingpostman
Posts: 148
Joined: 01 Oct 2007, 14:22

Re: No Access.....

Post by singingpostman »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:If the "Tradesman" button does not work, aren't we supposed to buzz each flat that has mail, giving them 10 seconds or so to respond? If no reply, "no access" endorsement, date/time/initials. If continuous 7 days go by without access, then the mail can be killed off?
Thats certainly the way I do it when I'm on a town walk, 6 flats in each block, usally one of the 6 will answer and let you in, and certainly if I did the round on a regular basis I'm sure I could narrow that down to 1 or 2 buzzers to press knowing that they are usually there. I know RM don't encourage using your initiative but how hard can it be to get into the same place at roughly the same time everyday. The same with this silly leave a packet with a neighbour idea ! good god we've been doing that in the rurals for decades, get to know your customers makes the job so much easier.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: No Access.....

Post by POSTMAN »

Some are looking for the sack here,OPG's and screws.
Buzz EVERY buzzer that you have mail for until someone opens the door for you,the time it takes is what it takes,you can always sky+/V+/Tivo Jeremy Kyle.
Make your managers aware of the situation,they should be on to the council to see if anything can be done.The threat of mail being sent back (after 3 attempts i think) should buck a few up.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: No Access.....

Post by Dorset Plodder »

POSTMAN wrote: .The threat of mail being sent back (after 3 attempts i think) should buck a few up.
So true when I had a Regular Duty I considered it part of my job to try and "Educate" my customers. Whenever I had one of those awkward customers that didn't like to put their Correct address on their mail I used to chat to them a couple of times along the lines of..."This will help us to Deliver Your mail much quicker..you might not receive an important letter...other Posties don't know where you live...etc". Then if they didn't get the message I used to RTS their mail as incomplete or no such address! :Very Happy

Surprise ..Surprise They swiftly contacted their Bank..Mobile Phone.. Credit Card Co...Sky (you know all the really important ones) and got the Correct address put on their mail. :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: No Access.....

Post by Indy »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
POSTMAN wrote: .The threat of mail being sent back (after 3 attempts i think) should buck a few up.
So true when I had a Regular Duty I considered it part of my job to try and "Educate" my customers. Whenever I had one of those awkward customers that didn't like to put their Correct address on their mail I used to chat to them a couple of times along the lines of..."This will help us to Deliver Your mail much quicker..you might not receive an important letter...other Posties don't know where you live...etc". Then if they didn't get the message I used to RTS their mail as incomplete or no such address! :Very Happy

Surprise ..Surprise They swiftly contacted their Bank..Mobile Phone.. Credit Card Co...Sky (you know all the really important ones) and got the Correct address put on their mail. :Very Happy
DorsetPlodder..... completely agree and in 95% of cases it works. Unfortunately its the 5% that it doesn't work with that are the problem. First you get complaints to the office then they contact the regulator then "The Chairmans Office" then they complain to their MP or in other words everyone APART from the council to get the issue resolved. The first man I spoke to was slightly helpful but his partner the other man had (it appeared) no intention whatsoever of doing anything other than complaining. Knowing my DOM posties would be made to walk 100 miles bare foot on hot coals rather than getting a complaint to the office. I'm hacked off that my job is being made much MUCH harder because a resident (NOT the customer) refuses to provide access to THEIR letter box.

I was just hoping that there was something in writing somewhere that said 3 days.... which I feel is fair as the actual customer i.e. the sender has a right to know that the item has been posted or returned inaccessible rather than on an infinite loop of failed delivery.

Just wanted to make clear.... first I push the 'tradesman' button THEN I go through all the bells for flats that have mail then I do it again leaving around 20/30 seconds for each flat. Some residents open the door then after a while stop. When you ask them why they say to me "fooking ring somebody else's bell!".

BTW I have around 34 controlled entry buildings on my walk of which vast are majority fine... just 2 or 3 give me real problems.
ElvisGaddafi
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: No Access.....

Post by ElvisGaddafi »

DGP1 wrote:It's 3 days for inaccessible mail, if you can't get it delivered by then then sticker it and send it away.
This is correct as far as I know. Endorse mail 'controlled entry system - no access' for 3 days then return it.
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
Danelectro
Posts: 1058
Joined: 13 Apr 2008, 01:02

Re: No Access.....

Post by Danelectro »

ElvisGaddafi wrote:
DGP1 wrote:It's 3 days for inaccessible mail, if you can't get it delivered by then then sticker it and send it away.
This is correct as far as I know. Endorse mail 'controlled entry system - no access' for 3 days then return it.
Yes this is what we are told the procedure is in my area-3 days and chalk up.This is of course what DOM has been told to do by his area sector manager because they don't have the resources to follow the regulations to the letter.I thought someone on here would have the document covering what the proper procedure is as outlined by the regulator-I think this involves the manager repeatedly visiting the address with no access until he has met one of the residents and then coming to a solution and if I remember right its a month that should be set aside for this?Of course when you have scores of buildings in your office with this problem .....3 days chalk up!

as for getting the council to change the times on entry systems-we have had meetings with council and police and they are aware of the problem,but cops not keen on setting service entry systems later than noon and council is not willing to pick up the bill for thousands of entry systems to be changed every-time Royal Mail decide to have a revision or change a delivery route.Then of course theres private flats with this problem and housing associations.

They could have changed the network to keep deliverys earlier in the day but told this is not possible!........ :hmmmm